Proper FSJ Seat or Cover Replacement

Modified FSJ Tech Area
Santeh

Proper FSJ Seat or Cover Replacement

Postby Santeh » Sun May 27, 2018 6:21 am

Hello all,

The front seats in my 1978 Jeep Cherokee are in need of either being replaced or covered/reupholstered. I am, though, focusing on the front as I will most likely remove the back seat so as to maximize the storage room. If it matters, I plan to Rhinoline and then add black carpet in the front.

If I elect to replace the front seats I was curious what more modern (around years 1990-2000) truck or Jeep seats work for a ‘78 FSJ Cherokee? Additionally what alternative seat belts might work? One reason I might go this route is that I am short (5’5”) thus the stock bucket seats force me to lean back a bit too much.

Alternatively, if I do reupholster the front seats I would like to find something that matches the Native American motif I have on the paneling (please see viewtopic.php?f=25&t=14019&p=157374#p157374). Does anyone know of a company that has something that might match?

Thank you, everyone!
1978 Jeep Cherokee S; 5.9L/360 V8 automatic/FiTech fuel injection and Davis Unified Distributor systems.

Santeh

Re: Proper FSJ Seat or Cover Replacement

Postby Santeh » Sun May 27, 2018 7:57 am

My apologies as I came across this thread after I posted:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13266

I am liking the look of the Corbeau Baja RS for my 1978 Jeep Cherokee yet any suggestions, especially on the reupholstering, is greatly appreciated!
1978 Jeep Cherokee S; 5.9L/360 V8 automatic/FiTech fuel injection and Davis Unified Distributor systems.

j10jim

Postby j10jim » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:52 pm

late 90's dodge dakota cab and a half seats bolt in. They also tilt forward. The durango seats fit but don't tilt forward, so for a waggie they would be fine but for a cherokee or a Jtruck you want tilt. I have a set in my truck. Took about 10 mins per side to unbolt the old seats, remove the sliders, bolt them to the dakota seats and drop them in.
1980 J10/20
Rusty's 4" lift, 2" body lift, old Cliffhanger front bumper, 35" tires, 65 dash w Speedhut gauges

LONG time member of ifsja.org, FSJ-List and some others...

81waggy

Postby 81waggy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:10 pm

I thought about doing the corbeau seats in mine until I found this shop. Not sure if he's just cheap or what, but I talked to a guy in Raleigh a few weeks ago about doing a custom interior for my Wagoneer. New custom everything, carpet, door panels, seats, headliner, was going to be about $3000. Vinyl, not leather, but completely replacing everything.
81 Wagoneer with a TBI 350 Vortec...More Power!

Santeh

Postby Santeh » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:27 am

j10jim wrote:late 90's dodge dakota cab and a half seats bolt in. They also tilt forward. The durango seats fit but don't tilt forward, so for a waggie they would be fine but for a cherokee or a Jtruck you want tilt. I have a set in my truck. Took about 10 mins per side to unbolt the old seats, remove the sliders, bolt them to the dakota seats and drop them in.

Nice. I will look into them. Thanks!

81waggy wrote:I thought about doing the corbeau seats in mine until I found this shop. Not sure if he's just cheap or what, but I talked to a guy in Raleigh a few weeks ago about doing a custom interior for my Wagoneer. New custom everything, carpet, door panels, seats, headliner, was going to be about $3000. Vinyl, not leather, but completely replacing everything.

Thanks for the information! I will keep it in mind. Right now, what is really pushing the Corbeau seats is that with my being short I find that the original bucket seats force me to lean back too far which is rather uncomfortable and makes using the side mirrors almost impossible. I think I might prefer better lumbar seating where I have a chance to see a car on my side before I hit it.

I do, though, still have to recarpet and headline my Cherokee thus I might look into that.

81waggy

Postby 81waggy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:43 pm

If it helps I'm 5'7". The power seats get me plenty close. I think a previous owner was a few hundred pounds more than me though because the seats do have a pretty good bend to them. He said he could straighten them out for me as well.
81 Wagoneer with a TBI 350 Vortec...More Power!

Santeh

Postby Santeh » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:35 pm

81waggy wrote:If it helps I'm 5'7". The power seats get me plenty close. I think a previous owner was a few hundred pounds more than me though because the seats do have a pretty good bend to them. He said he could straighten them out for me as well.

Aye, yet at 5'5" I might give the seats a run for their money to get me close enough to see properly! ;)

1979bettywhite

Postby 1979bettywhite » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:22 am

The corbeaus will get you up higher than the stock low backs. I am about 6' roughly and I have an a couple inches of headroom with the new seats. But a perfect driving position, IMO. Much better than the stock seats.

Santeh

Postby Santeh » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:40 am

1979bettywhite wrote:The corbeaus will get you up higher than the stock low backs. I am about 6' roughly and I have an a couple inches of headroom with the new seats. But a perfect driving position, IMO. Much better than the stock seats.

Thanks! That is very good to know and quite encouraging on the Corbeau seats! I have been thinking of the Baja RS over the Moabs as I thought that the Baja RS looked a bit more comfortable (please see https://corbeau.com/susp-reclining/baja-rs.html versus https://corbeau.com/sport-reclining/moab.html), yet I am a little concerned that the Baja might not give as good back support as the Moabs. It would be lovely if I could physically see and try them first, but such is life.

Thanks again!

Return to “Modified FSJ Tech”