Extended park brake cables

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Nowhereneer

Extended park brake cables

Post by Nowhereneer »

Just installed a 4" lift on my 89 GW. Parking brake cables are stretched tight from frame to axle. I also had to unbolt cable clamp at frame by front spring mount to get all the slack available. Worried they won't make it through wheeling. Anybody dealt with this before and have a remedy. Unable to locate extended cables to accommodate lifts. Has to be some sort of option as the stock cables could not possible go more then the 4" I installed yet alone a 6" kit.
'89 Grand Wagoneer, bought it for $500 bone stock 207k miles, 4" BDS all spring lift, ZJ fuel tank conversion behind axle. Work in progress. :fsj:••$$$

tgreese

Re: Extended park brake cables

Post by tgreese »

One easy way to get more slack would be to extend the J-hook from the cross member. You could also extend the pedal cable with an extension nut (coupling nut) and a piece of threaded rod.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

I had the same problem with my 4” spring + 1” block lift. The actual cable housing is too short so extending the j-hook doesn’t really help. You can cut the front bracket off the frame and reweld it back on 1-2” rearward. But that requires removing the gas tank, and welding. You can get custom length cables made, but they are pricey. I haven’t found any other good and cheap remedies.
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

scalescj5

Post by scalescj5 »

When I lifted my wagoneer I got cables for a j truck that were longer you can probably find them on BJ offroad website.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Nowhereneer

Post by Nowhereneer »

scalescj5,
How much longer are they from stock? I already did a fuel tank relocation so I could cut and reweld the brackets also. Just looking for an easy fix
'89 Grand Wagoneer, bought it for $500 bone stock 207k miles, 4" BDS all spring lift, ZJ fuel tank conversion behind axle. Work in progress. :fsj:••$$$

scalescj5

Post by scalescj5 »

I did a 6 inch lift I think the cables were 10 inches longer than stock I'm thinking it was a 119 in wheel base J Truck I'd have to look at my notes I don't remember off top my head they are on bj offroad for 35.00ea

derf

Post by derf »

scalescj5 wrote:I did a 6 inch lift I think the cables were 10 inches longer than stock I'm thinking it was a 119 in wheel base J Truck I'd have to look at my notes I don't remember off top my head they are on bj offroad for 35.00ea

Those are for the short box J truck. And those are the ones you want.

The long box J truck is 131" wheelbase and those cables are way longer than you would want in a Wagoneer. I don't have a picture but the cables from the long bed truck side-by-side are about 2 feet longer than the Wagoneer cables.

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

I tried the longer cables, and they are WAY longer, and a bit hard to route and not get into the axle, bind, etc. But they will work in a pinch. Just wish we could find something from another vehicle thats just a bit longer that will work. You can get parking brake cables from Rockauto super cheap every once in a while.
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power