Good link for intake swap??

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Sorry for starting an entire thread for this...
Anyone have a good link or info for installing an Edelbrock intake on a 360?
Tips, pointers, what to do with the metal pan thingy on the stock intake, how to seal the thing correctly, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheapthrills

Re: Good link for intake swap??

Post by Cheapthrills »

Gonna text you

87 grand Wagoneer mostly stock
90 grand Wagoneer (stalled 5.3 project)

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Thanks brotha. Now that my XJ went away I need to tend to some of the remaining herd. I have an Edelbrock intake and carb in storage that may go on my Scrambler's 360. May pull the stock 2bbl of the wife's waggy to reseal it or replace it with a second Edelbrock. Need a jeep to function well enough for DD duties since the suburban is a bit much to drive.

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

No problem buddy. I vote for the edelbrock intake on Walter mine was fantastic With the edelbrock 1406 carb and edelbrock performer intake.

87 grand Wagoneer mostly stock
90 grand Wagoneer (stalled 5.3 project)

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Walter has the tbi fuel injection so I'll probably need an adapter. Not sure but I think it may have a vacuum leak around the intake which hopefully is what's causing it to run so poorly. I have a nearly new Edelbrock intake and carb I got from I think Ryan(?) when he was building the copper Cherokee. I can use the intake on Walter and the carb on my Scrambler.
I also have a more used (ugly) Edelbrock sitting on top the commandos mock up 360. I may put that and the carb on the Scrambler to see if I can eek out a lil more performance.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

[quote="tedlovesjeeps71"]Walter has the tbi fuel injection so I'll probably need an adapter. Not sure but I think it may have a vacuum leak around the intake which hopefully is what's causing it to run so poorly. I have a nearly new Edelbrock intake and carb I got from I think Ryan(?) when he was building the copper Cherokee. I can use the intake on Walter and the carb on my Scrambler.
I also have a more used (ugly) Edelbrock sitting on top the commandos mock up 360. I may put that and the carb on the Scrambler to see if I can eek out a lil more performance.

Do you (or anyone) know if an adapter is needed for a tbi to mount on a performer?

Post by 007 »

I'm going to attempt to respond via computer and then edit to add photos via Tapatalk.

I just did this last spring and the metal baffle on the stock intake does not mate up perfectly.

I had to cut out a section. I'm not completely sure you need it if you run the valley pan gasket, but I just cut out a section with a cutoff wheel and put it on anyway.

I used some black gasket maker to create a wall between the heads along the top lip of the block - do not use the rubber ones that come with the intake.

I used some blue to seal the water ports between the valley pan gasket and the heads, then used Permatex to seal between the intake and the valley pan gasket.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Nice! :-bd

I abandoned the pan when switching to aluminum intake and use the valley pan gasket set. Been a chicken to try the wall of sealant between the heads. I have done 3 with rubber gasket that have not leaked. Maybe on the next one.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

If done properly, the rubber seals will never leak. Every intake I have done has been with the rubber seals, on various V8s. The key is to clean everywhere the rubber touches with something that removes ALL oils. Such as enamel reducer or the like. Be sure to use something that wont leave lint behind. Once cleaned, you CANNOT TOUCH those surfaces. Or you have to re-clean. Also be sure to clean the rubber itself with the same cleaner. The rubber will often have oils or residual powder from manufacturing on it.

The ONE part I do use RTV on for some engines (Like an AMC V8) is at the very ends of the rubber seal. A little bit on each side to fill in the little corner area.

If the above is done, I have never had them leak.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

My beef with the rubber end seals isn't leaking, it's getting the intake bolts to line up with their holes, since the seals made the intake sit up too high. The few times I've tried, I've either mangled the threads or cracked a boss, so I don't even bother with them anymore. If the holes line up for you, there's no reason not to use them.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Thanks for all the replies folks. Not sure why this seems a little intimidating... I just need to do it.

yz400e

Post by yz400e »

I know this is an old thread but I am about to install an edelbrock manifold on my 360 and want to make sure I have this clear.

If I use a valley pan gasket (FelPro part number ms96011), do I need to also use an intake manifold gasket ? it looks to me like the Fel-Pro valley pan gasket fulfills all purposes: pan + gasket.

Edit: Never mind, finally got my search right and found my answer.