Hydro Assist Ram Size

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Iceman0502

Hydro Assist Ram Size

Post by Iceman0502 »

I have some pretty hard steering at idle in tight spots (parking lots, drivways, etc). My wagoneer has a J20 front Dana 44.

My PS pump, ball joints, tie rods , etc are all new except my PS gear box. The rebuild kit is waiting to be installed and I was going to tap for hydro assist at that time. Was thinking about using the Ram that is 1 inch OD with 0.625 rod diameter and 6 inch stroke (still have to measure stroke length).

Big question: Is the 1 inch ram too small? I do not take this truck offroading and it would be nice to have better low speed turning especially with a trailer.

Whats your opinions?

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Hydro Assist Ram Size

Post by Stuka »

For hydro assist, you want a smaller ram as they are faster, so you get less steering lag making them much safer for road usage. But, 6" stroke is not enough. Look at your current steering stabilizer, you will see it has a lot more than 6".

But if you arent going offroad, not sure why you need hydro-assist. In stock form, FSJ's have SUPER light steering. I can turn my J10's wheel with a pinky finger while sitting in place.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

fsj454

Post by fsj454 »

REDNECK RAM . ALL MY ROCK RAM PARTS CAME FROM REDNECK RAM .BEEN 2 YEARS DRIVEN EVERY DAY ALL GOOD
:fsj:454.nv4500.205.twin stick.hydo boost. hydrolic clutch.dana 60s.soa.37s 17inch.tration bar.warn 1200. 4 wheel disc.aero29 gallon .conferr roof rack.spal pulse width modulation.spal duel fans.painless battery isolator.duel batterys.factory cb. headers 2 1/2 duels.4.56 Detroit locker.alloy 35 spline axles.stainless brake lines .holley 770.edelbrock.fuel.water.intake.H4s.head light relays.racho 9000 shocks.rock ram.steering box brace.j20 steering box.msd8265 probillet distributor.msd super conductor wires.

Topic author
Iceman0502

Post by Iceman0502 »

Thanks for the info

Also I need the extra steering because I put a Cummins 12V in the truck with 32 inch tires. Its steers well when she gets moving but hard at idle from the weight. Was trying to avoid any comments about diesel vs gas.
I enjoy it. It gets 17 mpg commuting to work and love peoples reaction to it. Plus the kids enjoy riding in it!

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Ahh, that makes sense then. Another thought is, are you running an OEM pump, or the pump that came on the engine? I ask because they may not flow the same. But a small, fast ram would make it easier to steer.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
Iceman0502

Post by Iceman0502 »

I am running a stock (recently replaced) pump and pulled the shim out to increase the pressure and drilled the hole bigger as recommended by West Texas Off Road's site.

This morning the steering did well when i started to leave for work and then started to fade. I have a feeling that the 1982 box is dead and needs the rebuild badly. It has some serious delay when you turn the wheel back and forth.
Think that is on the list for this month and I will tap the box and cap the holes for later use.

There is also a cooler on the return line, but no filter. Any recommendations?

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

When you say delay, do you mean a delay in the power assist, or a delay in the tires actually turning? Your steering wheel has a direct connection to the steering box output, so if there is a delay in steering it means the axle may be moving side to side before the tires start to turn. It could also mean the internals of the box are worn out, and you just have slop in the steering gears.

A PS cooler is a great addition for a box that is being worked. Not sure a filter will do anything for you besides slow down the return speed of the fluid.
2017 JKU Rubicon