Odd leaf spring bushings

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Red-dog

Odd leaf spring bushings

Post by Red-dog »

I am swapping axles and springs from a Rusted out Waggy to a nice Arizona vehicle (both 86 GW’s) and I have a lift kit of unknown origin. I decided to replace the polyurethane leaf spring bushings while I had it all apart. The rear axle went smooth as silk. Used OEM sized rubber bushings to try to soften the ride just a little. When I burned out the rear bushings on the front springs (Take that Captain Planet!) I realized that the standard bushings that I had would not fit. I had 1 1/4” OD bushings PN SB319. The spring eye measures 1 5/32” ID. The only bushings I can find on the web with that OD have a 1/2” ID from Stengel Bros. The stuff I took out had a 9/16” ID. I can’t put a 1/2” bolt through a bracket and a shackle with a 9/16” hole can I? I mean I know it will fit but not a good idea is it? Any good source for funny sized rubber bushings or am I stuck going back with polyurethane?
'86 GW, work in progress.
'01 wj, DD

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: Odd leaf spring bushings

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Use a bushing sleeve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

babywag

Post by babywag »

Try looking through Dayton's leaf spring bushing chart/catalog...?

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/bushings/ ... g-bushings
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
Red-dog

Post by Red-dog »

That is one nice catalog. First one I have seen that actually lists all the dimensions but I don’t see the one I need. I will call around tomorrow.
'01 wj, DD

Topic author
Red-dog

Post by Red-dog »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Use a bushing sleeve.

Do you mean a sleeve around the whole bushing? The ones I installed had a metal outer sleeve already. Do they make something to go around a rubber bushing without an outer metal outer? That would be brilliant.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'01 wj, DD

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

The original bushings should be "silent block" bushings.

Note they have steel shell both inside and outside. That's the original design. I suspect the rubber would not last without both shells.

From the name, I would assume that the rubber was used to reduce noise, not to soften the ride.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I'm cornfused. Burning out the bushing implies you left a sleeve in the spring??? Why was burning involved?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Sometimes burning is used to remove the rubber part of the bushing. You still need to peel out the outer steel shell.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Ah, never had to do dat. I gotta big vice and if something is really giving me trouble a press.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
Red-dog

Post by Red-dog »

Burned out old polyurethane bushings that had no outer shell. I’m looking to put in silent block style. Original equipment on front leaf springs is 1 1/4” OD but my lift kit is different.
'01 wj, DD

COLORADOCRAWLER

Post by COLORADOCRAWLER »

They could be Rough Country springs. If they ride like an unloaded hay wagon there's a good chance they are RC springs (they don't call them rough for no reason). I just changed mine and had to use RC poly bushings because they use smaller spring eyes than stock.
-Rick
87' GW 5.3/4l60E/NP241C, Dakota Digital dash, high steer, 31's, still needs a bigfoot gas pedal to tie it all together.
90' YJ 3 link coils front, 4 link double triangulated coils rear, D44s, ARBs, 4.56, 35's

COLORADOCRAWLER

Post by COLORADOCRAWLER »

They could be Rough Country springs. If they ride like an unloaded hay wagon there's a good chance they are RC springs (they don't call them rough for no reason). I just changed mine and had to use RC poly bushings because they use smaller spring eyes than stock.
-Rick
87' GW 5.3/4l60E/NP241C, Dakota Digital dash, high steer, 31's, still needs a bigfoot gas pedal to tie it all together.
90' YJ 3 link coils front, 4 link double triangulated coils rear, D44s, ARBs, 4.56, 35's

Topic author
Red-dog

Post by Red-dog »

COLORADOCRAWLER wrote:They could be Rough Country springs. If they ride like an unloaded hay wagon there's a good chance they are RC springs (they don't call them rough for no reason). I just changed mine and had to use RC poly bushings because they use smaller spring eyes than stock.

That is what I was afraid of.
'01 wj, DD

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Rubber pushes aren't going to change the ride any over poly. Rubber does deflect more, but we are talking 1/8's of an inch difference.

RC springs are notorious for having a terrible ride. Plenty of spring makers that make quality springs that ride well. Stay away from super lift as well, as they tend to be called super stiff :)
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Red-dog

Post by Red-dog »

Stuka wrote:Rubber pushes aren't going to change the ride any over poly. Rubber does deflect more, but we are talking 1/8's of an inch difference.

RC springs are notorious for having a terrible ride. Plenty of spring makers that make quality springs that ride well. Stay away from super lift as well, as they tend to be called super stiff :)
Ha! Super stiff. Hadn’t heard that one before. Called Rough Country and no joy. Polyurethane bushings this size are proving hard to find as well. Beginning to think my Google-Fu is super weak. May order 1 1/8 OD silent blocks just to make sure this isn’t a measuring problem but I’m using dial calipers and measuring things is not usually a challenge for me. REALLY want to call BJ’s and get a Skyjacker lift but I have to make this rig run before I drop that kind of coin. BTW, thanks to all for the help.
'01 wj, DD

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Get bushings a little big and turn em down on a lathe?
Sic friatur crustulum

Topic author
Red-dog

Post by Red-dog »

SJTD wrote:Get bushings a little big and turn em down on a lathe?
That is what the folks at Energy Suspension suggested. I have yet to convince any of my friends with a lathe to let me try cutting polyurethane on their equipment. I am not too attached to the springs. I think I will get 1 1/8” OD silent block bushings and use a little liquid shim (3M 5200) just until the rig runs. Then I’ll upgrade to a Skyjacker kit.
'01 wj, DD