Electronic/solid-state/LED flasher swap

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
merrill77

Electronic/solid-state/LED flasher swap

Post by merrill77 »

I want to upgrade all my lighting on the wagon to LED. Knowing of the turn signal / hazard flasher issues, it seemed like I should start with that first. So after researching a bit, I picked up a CEC Industries EF32RL Electronic Turn Signal Flasher Relay, LED Compatible, 2 + Ground Wire Prongs, 12 Volts from Amazon ($10). It is advertised to work under no load (for LEDs) and is rated heavy duty to support large trailer lighting loads. Popped it in, connected the ground wire, turned on the ignition and then a turn signal. Then.....nothing. No blinking. No fast blink, no slow blink...just nothing. I tried a few different ground points until I was satisfied that was not the problem.

The flasher I bought had pretty good reviews...it seemed unlikely to be defective. So, given what we know about AMC, I wondered if they wired the socket backwards from the standard. The mistake would go unnoticed with thermo-mechanical flashers...they don't care which way the current flows. But solid-state electronics do. So I made some patch wires with male and female terminals so I could test it with the wires reversed...without pulling and rewiring the fuse panel.

Success!!!!

At some point I may rewire...so I don't have that flasher hanging around. But for now, it'll do.
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

dodgerammit

Re: Electronic/solid-state/LED flasher swap

Post by dodgerammit »

Good info! The joys of AMC's quirks.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Interesting. When we put the LEDs on the fog lamp circuit in my 88 GW in January, we found one side was red to ground and the other side was black to ground. It made for at least an hour distraction on the bumper project Tad and I were doing :P. Then there was the fog light switch that fell apart. :lol:
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

fulsizjeep wrote:Interesting. When we put the LEDs on the fog lamp circuit in my 88 GW in January, we found one side was red to ground and the other side was black to ground. It made for at least an hour distraction on the bumper project Tad and I were doing :P. Then there was the fog light switch that fell apart. :lol:
Don't blame it on the fog light switch. LOL

az chip

Post by az chip »

Nice project and write up. Any pics of finished product?
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

I work with LEDs ona daily basis at work (trailer mechanic) and alot of them will only work one way. If you plug a bulb in and it does nothing like a 194 or whatever, flip it over and most likely itll work.
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

LEDs are, at their base, diodes. A diode will only conduct with forward polarity, not reversed. That some semiconductors emit light (electroluminescence) came after semiconductor diodes were invented as electronic components that ... only conduct with a forward polarity. They were invented to duplicate the vacuum diode, which was in wide use as a rectifier, converting AC electricity into DC in radios and many other electronic applications. First used to detect radio waves when connected to an antenna.

Reversing the polarity of the flasher is the downside of the mechanical nature of the original flasher, which would work regardless of the polarity. The electronic replacement will be polar, like the diode.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
merrill77

Post by merrill77 »

az chip wrote:Nice project and write up. Any pics of finished product?
Not at the moment. I'm waiting for delivery of all the replacement LEDs.
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

jsinajeep wrote:Don't blame it on the fog light switch. LOL
Don't worry, I Jerry rigged it. :D
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

There is a good article on this very subject in the June edition of Street Rodder, X terminal is "power in" L terminal is "load out"