Converting Grand Wagoneer Tailgate to Manual Roll-down

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
memsiej

Converting Grand Wagoneer Tailgate to Manual Roll-down

Post by memsiej »

My new-to-me 84 Grand Wagoneer has a busted tailgate. PO couldn't figure it out, but didn't seem to spend much time trying. If there's an area I'm least comfortable, it's electric. I found this and until then didn't even know they made roll down tailgates. Anyone have experience or insight on converting an electric to a manual?
1984 Grand Wagoneer V8 5.9

letank

Re: Converting Grand Wagoneer Tailgate to Manual Roll-down

Post by letank »

Usually poor ground, defective switches are the reasons for non-op tailgate glass.

the ground is under your driver's side frame by the rear quarter area of the rear fender

If the glass does not go up, there is a safety switch in the tailgate that most of us bypass, it is in the driver's side of the tailgate

as for the switches, you can do a search for

tailgate switch site:fsjnetwork.com

or

tailgate site:fsjnetwork.com

Plenty of opinions, I did the quick fix, hole in the tailgate, DPDT switch and cigarette lighter connector

Welcome to the asylum
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

The manual replacements have a poor reputation. No personal experience, just what I've read.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

No need to convert. Just an easy way someone could roll down a window and get access to the inside.

Read up a bit. Fix it correctly. Plenty of help here. It is a rite of passage. Embrace it.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Or...
You can go the route I chose and have been happy for 4 years with the conversion. Two sides to every argument:

http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... f=7&t=6778
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation