Adding air bags?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

lindel

Re: Adding air bags?

Post by lindel »

derf wrote:It occurs to me that the bump stop for the rear axle is on the bottom of the frame. If I put my air bag between the axle and the frame there won't be a bump stop and that can be "bad". With the lift I probably need to extend the bump stop a bit anyway.

I think I'm going to end up with the extended bump stops and I'll put the air bags in board of the frame.

I don't remember if the frame is fully boxed back there. If not, it's a good excuse to box the frame to add some strength to a point that wasn't intended to hold extra weight and then weld the upper bracket to the plate I weld in to box the frame.

I don't believe the frame is boxed in that area. IIRC, the only place the frame is boxed is all north of the crossmember.
Lindel

localfiend

Re: Adding air bags?

Post by localfiend »

I've been planning on doing this on my gladiator, and it sounds like you've come to the same conclusions I have. I plan on boxing in the section of frame above the axle, and then installing a set of air bags inboard. I'm keeping half ton springs for ride quality, and installing a 14-bolt to handle heavy loads. The springs are so wide on these old trucks that putting the bags inboard will not be a problem, in fact, it's probably pretty close to normal distance for any other rig.
2001 Jeep Wrangler
4.0 I6
AW4 Trans Swap
4.88 Gears
35x12.5x15" BFG AT KO's

1966 Jeep Gladiator
Chevy 350
T90
Dana 20
Dana 44's Front & Rear
Soon to have a HD44, 14 Bolt, SM465, NP205

Build: http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 698#p22698