Need opinions on intake and cam and headers

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Need opinions on intake and cam and headers

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

I have fallen in to a used AMC 360 engine with half the miles on it. Mine is on its last leg.

I'm going to do a swap but while that engine is out I'm thinking about putting a new cam and lifters in it.
currently looking at the edelbrock 2132 set... how does this run? reviews?

I'm going to be upgrading to the edelbrock 2131K intake as well. I will still be using my old 2bbl carb (yes I know that's dumb) but I will be saving up after this swap to upgrade to either the Fitech or Holly EFI which is why I'm going to not purchase another carb.
what are your thoughts on this?

finally
I'm looking to throw some new headers on. I know a lot of people are dead set on keeping the original exhaust manifolds on but if I want to go headers what are some good options?

any and all suggestions are appreciated and Links, part numbers are even better!
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
Edelbrock intake manifold
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers
2" to thrush muff with 3" tip exhaust

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Need opinions on intake and cam and headers

Post by Stuka »

That edelbrock intake is a great match for AMC V8s, really liked mine. Even with the 2v carb, it will offer a performance improvement. However, do NOT use the edelbrock performer cam. Its basically a side grade from stock. I would venture to say the Summit K8600 cam is the most popular cam for AMC's in Jeeps.

As for headers, they offer better performance in every metric compared to the stock manifolds. The trick is finding good quality ones that don't leak, and I do not have enough experience with them on AMCs to offer an answer to that. But if you do go with them, be sure to invest in some quality header wrap.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

yz400e

Post by yz400e »

I know this is late to the party but I don't get to check in very often but it may still be of some use.
I have 2 sets of headers for an AMC 360.
My recommendation would be Doug Thorley headers
Whatever you do get, get ceramic coated. or buy plain ones and send them off for ceramic coating. it will help drop engine bay temperatures.

I attached some photos but I didn't take them to show off their features so they aren't the best but may help.
Hooker Competition Headers: The quality is so-so. The flange is 1/2 the thickness of the Doug Thorley.
Doug Thorley headers are much higher quality. thicker flange, better material in the tubes. If your budget allows, get the Thorley's . if not, get the Hookers but then get them ceramic coated.

Hooker
Imagehooker_header_image by Mark Wise, on Flickr

Thorley
Imagethorley_header by Mark Wise, on Flickr

Fast Eddie

Post by Fast Eddie »

Thanks for your photos, I have heard very good things about the Thorley headers and also just saw a post here on the Patriot Clippster H8600-1 headers also...!! YES, the coated headers are the way to go!!! I have an Edelbrock intake and Carb on mine. Also has an upgraded Comp Cam 10-202-4 to complete the package. Very pleased with power and performance...!!!
1979 J20, 360 w/NV4500/D300 Twin Stick/3.73 SOLD
1978 Cherokee Chief W/T Levi interior, 360 Q/T. SCRAPPED
1970 Gladiator J4800 Camper Special, Buick 350, 4spd. SOLD

440sixpack

Post by 440sixpack »

Headers on a low pro 2 barrel ? if heat and leaks are what you're looking for go for it because that's all you're going to gain.

Fast Eddie

Post by Fast Eddie »

I don't disagree with you on the original poster, replacing with a stock 360 2 bbl?? I would not bother with ANY of the above mods. No gains for your $$$!!

yz400e

Post by yz400e »

Fast Eddie wrote:I don't disagree with you on the original poster, replacing with a stock 360 2 bbl?? I would not bother with ANY of the above mods. No gains for your $$$!!
so did you and 440 miss the part where the OP says he plans to put EFI on it in the future when funds allow or did you discount that or are the mods he plans to do also a waste of $$$!! with EFI ?

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

yz400e wrote:
Fast Eddie wrote:I don't disagree with you on the original poster, replacing with a stock 360 2 bbl?? I would not bother with ANY of the above mods. No gains for your $$$!!
so did you and 440 miss the part where the OP says he plans to put EFI on it in the future when funds allow or did you discount that or are the mods he plans to do also a waste of $$$!! with EFI ?

thank you.....

I get it... all that work and you are only running on a 2 brl... but if I was to get the carb a want then I'm dropping $350-$400 unnecessarily especially since I'm scrapping the whole carb thing.

if you have a money tree I could barrow id just skip to the EFI... :-bd
Last edited by Rinkle_Stinkle on Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

yz400e wrote:I know this is late to the party but I don't get to check in very often but it may still be of some use.
I have 2 sets of headers for an AMC 360.
My recommendation would be Doug Thorley headers
Whatever you do get, get ceramic coated. or buy plain ones and send them off for ceramic coating. it will help drop engine bay temperatures.

I attached some photos but I didn't take them to show off their features so they aren't the best but may help.
Hooker Competition Headers: The quality is so-so. The flange is 1/2 the thickness of the Doug Thorley.
Doug Thorley headers are much higher quality. thicker flange, better material in the tubes. If your budget allows, get the Thorley's . if not, get the Hookers but then get them ceramic coated.

Hooker
Imagehooker_header_image by Mark Wise, on Flickr

Thorley
Imagethorley_header by Mark Wise, on Flickr

Thank you so much for the pics and suggestions on headers! i'll look into them this week.
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The mods definitely are not a waste of money for use with EFI. Even with the 2v carb, he will gain power and engine response.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

so after pricing everything up I think I'm going to skip the headers (for now). I'm just going to throw the stock manifold back on and save up for some nice headers... I just can't spend $800-$900 on a nice set right now.

to address the concerns with me doing mods and not adding on more mods to reap the full benefits.....

I am on a budget and while this engine is out I want to address the things that I need to now like resealing the engine, adding a performance CAM, Timing chain, lifters and while we are there mind as well go intake. This "build" is already costing more than I originally thought it would so I don't want to start cutting corners in an attempt to save money because we all know what happens when you cut corners... you waste money and time being disappointed.

I want to do this the right way and if I have to do it in steps to ensure I am doing it the right way then I'm going to have to be patient and maybe add things now that won't do much with the thought of saving up after and throwing an easy bolt on mods for it to really make the difference.
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers

Fast Eddie

Post by Fast Eddie »

Rinkle,
Sorry did NOT catch your idea of EFI down the road. I agree with your rebuild ideas for the NEW motor, lots of cams available, I have one that is rated for 1500-5500 RPM, might of gone one step smaller "IF" I did it, but this was all done by PO to my truck. Comp Cams high Energy 268H Daily driven and slightly rough Idle Part #10-202-4. I have the Edelbrock intake and the Edelbrock 600 cfm carb. My J20 truck was a 360 from factory...!!! Hope this helps a bit and good luck on your project.

Ed
Last edited by Fast Eddie on Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

Fast Eddie wrote:Rinkle,
Sorry did NOT catch your idea of EFI down the road. I agree with your rebuild ideas for the NEW motor, lots of cams available, I have one that is rated for 1500-5500 RPM, might of gone one step smaller "IF" I did it, but this was all done by PO to my truck. Comp Cams high Energy 268H Daily driven and slightly rough Idle Part #10-202-4. I have the Edelbrock intake and the Edelbrock 600 cfm carb. My J20 truck was a 360 4bbl from factory...!!! Hope this helps a bit and good luck on your project.

Ed
thanx Ed! that's exactly what I needed. :-bd
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers

440sixpack

Post by 440sixpack »

EFI ? OMG , better add street slicks on all 4 then.

EFI without compression may run better but it will still be a gutless wonder.

People really need to be realistic when they consider performance upgrades . what works at WOT drag racing isn't what works best on a dirt road with a 4x4 or your wife running for groceries at the store. bolting on a few additions to an 8.2 to 1 360 is like lipstick on a pig. maybe you think it looks better but it's a waste of time.

Factory 401's in 1971 put out more power than 99% of Jeeps on this forum and they did it with a 4v and cast exhaust and intake manifolds. AND COMPRESSION . Hemi's, 6 packs, 421's, 428 cobra Jets , 429 Boss , stage 3 455's and a bunch more developed more power and torque than probably any Jeep on this forum and they did it with cubes, carbs and cast exhaust manifolds. AND COMPRESSION .

I'm not trying to be a downer or a smart azz but lets not encourage people to waste time and money for nothing . if they know what to expect and still do it then by all means go for it it's your rig knock yourself out. but after all that and a Kia still eats your lunch don't say you weren't warned.

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

440sixpack wrote:EFI ? OMG , better add street slicks on all 4 then.

People really need to be realistic when they consider performance upgrades . what works at WOT drag racing isn't what works best on a dirt road with a 4x4 or your wife running for groceries at the store. bolting on a few additions to an 8.2 to 1 360 is like lipstick on a pig. maybe you think it looks better but it's a waste of time.

Factory 401's in 1971 put out more power than 99% of Jeeps on this forum and they did it with a 4v and cast exhaust and intake manifolds. AND COMPRESSION . Hemi's, 6 packs, 421's, 428 cobra Jets , 429 Boss , stage 3 455's and a bunch more developed more power and torque than probably any Jeep on this forum and they did it with cubes, carbs and cast exhaust manifolds. AND COMPRESSION .

I'm not trying to be a downer or a smart azz but lets not encourage people to waste time and money for nothing . if they know what to expect and still do it then by all means go for it it's your rig knock yourself out. but after all that and a Kia still eats your lunch don't say you weren't warned.
I believe you’re still missing the fact I’m going to do this in stages...including exhaust. My goal is to tackle mods to the engine while it’s out (without completely rebuilding the engine from the ground up) and add things later while it’s in and exhaust is totally doable while it’s in... I have a budget I have to stick to.
I'm not going to increase my budget to tear down and engine for a complete rebuild on this go around or scrap the motor i have to do a different motor...because again, I don't have a money tree raining down money...
I come on this forum because I’m trying to learn a few things, not be talked to like I’m a moron. If you have a suggestion or opinion, by all means offer it but maybe try not to be so harsh and maybe people will want to listen to you more.... people trying to learn rarely are interested in being talked to like a dog...
Last edited by Rinkle_Stinkle on Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Give that man a harumph.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

440sixpack wrote:EFI ? OMG , better add street slicks on all 4 then.

At no point did any of us suggest that EFI was going to give huge power. We stated that he was keeping the 2v carb for now because there was no need to waste money on a 4v carb when he was going to EFI.

All the engines you mention also required premium fuel as well. Sure they are grat engines, but what does that have to do with the OP's question? He wants a bit more power (Which an intake, cam, and headers will do) and much better drive ability (Which EFI will do). Will it make some huge power number, no. But it will still make more than stock while being a much better daily driver.

There really is no reason to attack what he is wanting to do.
2017 JKU Rubicon

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

And another harumph for Stuka.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

440sixpack

Post by 440sixpack »

I'm not attacking anyone. I'm just not back slapping and shining him on. it sounds like he made up his mind up before he asked so why ask for " opinions " if a high five is all that's desired. it seems there needs to be a tech forum and a support group forum.

There was never any reason to waste the money on a 4V in the first place because it would do no good on a smogger . so the intake would obviously be useless. headers on a street driven smogger are useless. changing the cam in a worn smogger isn't going to hurt anything but gains will be minimal . and without a new valve spring set even more minimal. so what did I get wrong ?

The OP asked for opinions and he got something he didn't want to hear. the truth. do what you're going to do it's not my problem.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

440sixpack wrote:I'm not attacking anyone. I'm just not back slapping and shining him on. it sounds like he made up his mind up before he asked so why ask for " opinions " if a high five is all that's desired. it seems there needs to be a tech forum and a support group forum.

There was never any reason to waste the money on a 4V in the first place because it would do no good on a smogger . so the intake would obviously be useless. headers on a street driven smogger are useless. changing the cam in a worn smogger isn't going to hurt anything but gains will be minimal . and without a new valve spring set even more minimal. so what did I get wrong ?

The OP asked for opinions and he got something he didn't want to hear. the truth. do what you're going to do it's not my problem.
Speaking from experience, of modding my own FSJ's, both V8's and i6's, those mods *DO* make a difference. Sure higher compression is nice, but the above mentioned mods will still increase performance.
2017 JKU Rubicon