anyone have a write up on a brake booster upgrade?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

anyone have a write up on a brake booster upgrade?

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

I am looking at the astro van brake booster upgrade however I can't really find a good write up on it.

Anyone done one?

doesn't have to be the astro if there is an easier one to do. this wont be for awhile but it is something I've been looking into.
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
Edelbrock intake manifold
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers
2" to thrush muff with 3" tip exhaust

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: anyone have a write up on a brake booster upgrade?

Post by Stuka »

Your '88 should already have a dual diaphragm brake booster. The only way to really improve this is with something like Hydro-Boost.

Are you having issues with yours?
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

X2. Since you already have the dual diaphragm booster, the only other "upgrade" is hydroboost.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

Since he said Astro van booster I think he is talking about hydroboost.
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

HeavyMetalThunder_81 wrote:Since he said Astro van booster I think he is talking about hydroboost.

my bad, yes I am looking at upgrading to the hydroboost. I would just like to increase my stopping power. As is its not horrible but if I could make it better I would like to try, especially since its easier.
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Rinkle_Stinkle wrote:
HeavyMetalThunder_81 wrote:Since he said Astro van booster I think he is talking about hydroboost.

my bad, yes I am looking at upgrading to the hydroboost. I would just like to increase my stopping power. As is its not horrible but if I could make it better I would like to try, especially since its easier.
HydroBoost can apply more pressure to the brakes, but there are easier ways to upgrade the brakes. better rotors, better pads, rear disc brakes, and so on.

There are people that have done hydroboost conversions, I just don't think they were with the astro/safari van units. I think they were the units from 3/4 and 1 ton GM trucks.
2017 JKU Rubicon

HeavyMetalThunder_81

I think Elliot's kits use Astro van hydroboost units.
-Jonny B.
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI

1979 Wagoneer - Sold

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

HeavyMetalThunder_81 wrote:I think Elliot's kits use Astro van hydroboost units.
Correct. Almost all of the conversions I have seen, including my own, were done using the Astrovan unit. Elliott isn't really around any of the forums that I have seen lately, but he does still have an eBay page:

https://www.ebay.com/usr/sterlingworth1 ... 7675.l2559

He's a great guy, and will set you up with whatever you need.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

HeavyMetalThunder_81

-Jonny B.
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI

1979 Wagoneer - Sold

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Well, I stand corrected then :)
2017 JKU Rubicon

COLORADOCRAWLER

Post by COLORADOCRAWLER »

I did a rear disc brake conversion a couple of years ago and the brakes improved a little, meh, it didn't really blow my hair back. I followed that up with a Hydroboost conversion (Astro van) and holy shiitake mushrooms! The Wag will lock all 4 wheels up and throw you through the windshield now. To get it done, I just looked at the information on Elliot's posts and researched what others have done and went for it. The only thing I had to build was a 1" spacer between the firewall and booster. Needed a bushing to go into the eye on the input rod so that it fit my brake pedal. The rest of the parts are a couple of hoses from 80s 1T or 3/4T trucks if I remember correctly. You have to do a little extra bending on the hard tubing to massage everything into place. I would advise that you skip the tee fitting and get a pump reservoir that has 2 return inlets. The T fitting created a restriction regardless of which way I ran it so the pedal was slow to return. Besides the Vortec swap this was easily the best mod I've done that truly improved performance. I will be doing it to my YJ once the wife clears me hot.
-Rick
87' GW 5.3/4l60E/NP241C, Dakota Digital dash, high steer, 31's, still needs a bigfoot gas pedal to tie it all together.
90' YJ 3 link coils front, 4 link double triangulated coils rear, D44s, ARBs, 4.56, 35's

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

go to IFSJA and look for Elliott hydroboost tons of info there

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

thank you for giving me all that info!!!! the price of that booster on Ebay isn't horrible but will need to wait a little while I guess.
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers

babywag

Post by babywag »

COLORADOCRAWLER wrote:I did a rear disc brake conversion a couple of years ago and the brakes improved a little, meh, it didn't really blow my hair back. I followed that up with a Hydroboost conversion (Astro van) and holy shiitake mushrooms! The Wag will lock all 4 wheels up and throw you through the windshield now. To get it done, I just looked at the information on Elliot's posts and researched what others have done and went for it. The only thing I had to build was a 1" spacer between the firewall and booster. Needed a bushing to go into the eye on the input rod so that it fit my brake pedal. The rest of the parts are a couple of hoses from 80s 1T or 3/4T trucks if I remember correctly. You have to do a little extra bending on the hard tubing to massage everything into place. I would advise that you skip the tee fitting and get a pump reservoir that has 2 return inlets. The T fitting created a restriction regardless of which way I ran it so the pedal was slow to return. Besides the Vortec swap this was easily the best mod I've done that truly improved performance. I will be doing it to my YJ once the wife clears me hot.
I agree. Also did rear discs, and HB later on.
Pretty much same opinion. Best mod I’ve ever done to one of these things.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

After doing the dual diaphram booster, larger front calipers, better pads, stainless brake lines etc, I personally would not suggest spending the money elsewhere in the braking system until youve done the hydroboost. Seems the consensus is its the biggest 1 thing you can do. Make sure all your other braking components are in good shape first though, as the extra pressure from the HB can blow out weak rubber lines/brake cylinders. And make sure your power steering system is in good shape too.
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

RamJetFSJ wrote:After doing the dual diaphram booster, larger front calipers, better pads, stainless brake lines etc, I personally would not suggest spending the money elsewhere in the braking system until youve done the hydroboost. Seems the consensus is its the biggest 1 thing you can do. Make sure all your other braking components are in good shape first though, as the extra pressure from the HB can blow out weak rubber lines/brake cylinders. And make sure your power steering system is in good shape too.

yep, I'm starting to see the trend too! I'm going to try to fit it in the budget this summer but more than likely it'll be next year. I'm going to inspect all brake lines and for good measure replace/upgrade a few parts so I'm sure it can withstand the extra pressure!

thanx guys! :-bd
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers