How to Quiet Cab?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Santeh

How to Quiet Cab?

Post by Santeh »

Hello Everyone!

I have been making progress on my 1978 Cherokee as I just finished having a FiTech fuel injection system (with new pump) and Davis distributor installed as the Jeep was having a problem with its carburetor. I must say that even though the pumps are loud the Jeep drives very well now. I was told, though, that the loud whine from the fuel pump was normal.

In regards to the loudness of the pumps it is quite impressive and the whine has already caused some complaining from my significant other. I was curious, then, if there is a way to make the cab. a bit quieter? Specifically, the Cherokee does not currently have any carpeting thus I was thinking of having some reinstalled, but would that help with the sound? As I live in Florida, I was also thinking of just having the cab. Rhino lined instead of re-carpeted, but I would guess that with the new pump this would not help the sound issues (of which the Jeep was already loud just driving down the road).

Thanks, all, for your thoughts!
1978 Jeep Cherokee S; 5.9L/360 V8 automatic/FiTech fuel injection and Davis Unified Distributor systems.

tgreese

Re: How to Quiet Cab?

Post by tgreese »

Carpet will make a big difference. You can also put extra padding under the carpet to quiet road noise even more. The jute padding is very effective and cheap, but don't get it wet. My guess - the Rhino lining won't help nearly as much as carpet. And in Florida, you may be in sandals or bare feet, and Rhino Lining is downright abrasive compared to carpet. I had carpet in my CJ-5, and loved it. I could kick my shoes off and be comfortable.

Quieter tires, quieter exhaust, quieter fan will all help.

Re the pump, what kind of pump is it? Typically you mount an EFI fuel pump as close to the fuel tank as possible. If the pump is up under the driver's floor, you are more likely to hear it. One possibility is to put extra insulation between the pump and the floor, or extra isolation (soft bushings? soft padding?) between the pump and the pump mounts, to reduce the conduction of sound into the frame or body. Mounting to the frame would be quieter than mounting to the body. Sound insulation is said to work best if you have alternating dense and light layers, so look around and see what you can use to make a density sandwich between the pump and your ears.
Last edited by tgreese on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

rirealtor

Post by rirealtor »

I just went through this process on my wagoneer as the carpet needed to be replaced. Started with removing old glue/tar and cleaned/scuffed interior to almost bare metal. Applied 2 coats of Monsta Liner, which is a rubberized coating and has some deadening qualities. After that was full dynamat style deadening pads throughout vehicle. Easiest to work with this when its warmer and more pliable. Wear gloves as you will get paper cuts! After that, a carpet kit with padding from BJ's completed the install. A bit over the top? Maybe- but the difference was night and day and that was compared to having carpet in the vehicle. If you were to go from no carpet to dynamat(even just cab area) + carpet, your S.O. would be pleased!
Try it with 2 coats of Monsta Liner and see what you think for sound reduction. The nice thing about that is that you can tint the paint to any color and its easily washed out after a day in the mud.
75 Wagoneer Alpine White fresh from the Left Coast

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

Hello!

Thank you all for the replies! It is my understanding that the pump was installed near the fuel tank, but goodness it is loud! Yet, I am not complaining as so far the injector and distributor systems are wonderful to have and make driving the Jeep a much more modern experience.

I would indeed like to make the cab. as useable and quiet as I can. The Monsta lining, dynamat deadening pads, and then carpet kit sounds like a very good idea. I have never done this type of installations, thus I am a bit hesitant but am willing to try...
1978 Jeep Cherokee S; 5.9L/360 V8 automatic/FiTech fuel injection and Davis Unified Distributor systems.

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

Lizard Skin is another spray on liner, they have a product that is specifically designed to deaden sound. I cannot comment personally as to it's performance, but I see a lot of good reviews. I will likely look into it when I get to that point in my bodywork.

https://www.lizardskin.com/

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

KingPeon

Post by KingPeon »

Cecil14 wrote:Lizard Skin is another spray on liner, they have a product that is specifically designed to deaden sound. I cannot comment personally as to it's performance, but I see a lot of good reviews. I will likely look into it when I get to that point in my bodywork.

https://www.lizardskin.com/

aa

When I was putting together my wag, I used Bed liner on the floorboards, Home Depot reflectix insulation, 1/2” thick carpet mat, and then put the carpet on top...

It is still enjoyably loud...

one thing I also did was insulated the roof behind the headliner, this helped also.

I’m running the MSD HEI kit.. I went with a Ford e2000 pump which has worked quite well and is quiet quiet...

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Herculiner the whole floor 2-3 coats after you clean it up any rust and then carpet kit it. The rubber stuff in the truckbedliner dead ends sound really good. You can dynomat or fat mat it for more but it's really expensive. I just did truck bedliner and it works great.

Soooo much quieter.

Also intank fuel pump is deadened by the gas so it's really quiet.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

ShagWagon wrote:Herculiner the whole floor 2-3 coats after you clean it up any rust and then carpet kit it. The rubber stuff in the truckbedliner dead ends sound really good. You can dynomat or fat mat it for more but it's really expensive. I just did truck bedliner and it works great.

Soooo much quieter.

Also intank fuel pump is deadened by the gas so it's really quiet.
Ta! I appreciate it!

Before I use something like lizarskin or herculiner, does anyone know where to get replacement plugs for the floorpans? My passenger side is missing, thus when it rains water can come up into the cab via the hole. I would want to get that plug covered so that after I line the hole is closed.

Thanks again!

rirealtor

Post by rirealtor »

The Monsta Liner is pretty straight forward- mix 2 cans in larger bucket and roll on. Buy an extra 2-3 rollers as they tend to fall apart and leave foam pieces in paint.
The fat mat can get expensive. You can limit application to cab floor and roof area to keep costs down.
Headliner insulation- forgot about that- adding some fiberglass insulation ( hot water tank roll) sold at Lowe’s fits perfectly and helps with noise and Florida sun.
75 Wagoneer Alpine White fresh from the Left Coast

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

I truckbed lingered my roof too. Put the screws right into it for extra sealant and noise reduction.

Should be able to get a plug at any hardware store or maybe good auto parts store.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

That is what I did. My original plugs were almost rusted through. Got some tapered rubber plugs from ACE that fit almost flush to the floor, but large enough to still fit snugly. Problem solved for just a couple bucks.

Also, I got the carpet kit with the poly backing material. It's pretty thick stuff and fairly hard to cut, so I assume the sound deadening properties are pretty good. But I think I just have come to the realization that quiet is a relative term with my Jeeps. Riding in the Cherokee is like being in a soundproof room compared to the CJ5, lol.

j10jim

Post by j10jim »

floor plugs available from Team Grandwagoneer. I bought 2 sets (they fit the J truck beds as well). Just pop right in.
1980 J10/20
Rusty's 4" lift, 2" body lift, old Cliffhanger front bumper, 35" tires, 65 dash w Speedhut gauges.
Xtrusion Overland rack system, Tepui tent, 1/2 decked system.

LONG time member of ifsja.org, FSJ-List and some others...

letank

Post by letank »

Santeh wrote: In regards to the loudness of the pumps it is quite impressive and the whine has already caused some complaining from my significant other.
you can mount the pump with some rubber isolation brackets, depending on the pump brand. The carter pumps have a perfect bracket. Mounting the pump on the frame prevent the droning associated with the pump installed on the body.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

Good day all,

Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts and suggestions! It is very nice to have several options, of which I am thinking of going this route:

1). Use Herculiner on the floors of the inside of the Jeep Cherokee to help protect and quiet the pump's sound. I hate to be a penny pincher, but with a teacher's salary it is a must thus with the cost offset of Herculiner versus Monsta Liner ($25/qt versus $33/qt), I think I will go with the Herculiner. Any ideas how many quarts (thus gallons) might be required? As such, would one coating work?

2). Install the floor pan plugs: https://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/body- ... 1979-1991/

3). Install a carpet kit: https://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/sale- ... -gw-63-91/

How do you all feel this might work?

Thanks again all!
Last edited by Santeh on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

I am sorry about that as this was an accidental double post...

letank

Post by letank »

Santeh wrote:Good day all,

Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts and suggestions! It is very nice to have several options, of which I am thinking of going this route:

1). Use Herculiner on the floors of the inside of the Jeep Cherokee to help protect and quiet the pump's sound. I hate to be a penny pincher, but with a teacher's salary it is a must thus with the cost offset of Herculiner versus Monsta Liner ($25/qt versus $33/qt), I think I will go with the Herculiner. Any ideas how many quarts (thus gallons) might be required? As such, would one coating work?

2). Install the floor pan plugs: https://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/body- ... 1979-1991/

3). Install a carpet kit: https://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/sale- ... -gw-63-91/

Thanks again all!
if you want to be parsimonious... mounting the fuel pump differently is probably the less expensive solution. Not too sure which pump you have, may be give us a pict of the pump mounting set up. Is your fitech an inline fuel pump? it can be mounted with extra insulators
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

letank wrote:
Santeh wrote:Good day all,

Thanks again all!
if you want to be parsimonious... mounting the fuel pump differently is probably the less expensive solution. Not too sure which pump you have, may be give us a pict of the pump mounting set up. Is your fitech an inline fuel pump? it can be mounted with extra insulators
Being parsimonius is always welcome! I think, though, I would still like to line and carpet the Jeep as it will make more people on this end happy.

However, as for the pump itself it was this kit:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/FiTech-4 ... lQQAvD_BwE

It is my uinderstanding this this kit is external only, thus I do need to find a housing for it to try and insulate it. I hope that by covering the pump itself, as well as lining and capeting the Jeep, will make the system much more quiet.

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

That's a real expensive inline pump for $250.

It's about the same price as a Novak in tank pump with new sending unit specifically made for FSJs that is so quiet you have to listen for it.

I did 2 coats with one gallon herculiner. You need 2 coats as per instructions. First coat looks bad and is thin, second coat sures it up to proper.

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

ShagWagon wrote:That's a real expensive inline pump for $250.

It's about the same price as a Novak in tank pump with new sending unit specifically made for FSJs that is so quiet you have to listen for it.

I did 2 coats with one gallon herculiner. You need 2 coats as per instructions. First coat looks bad and is thin, second coat sures it up to proper.
Yea, looking back I followed the advice of a tech for the pump and it may not have been the best. May I ask if I can add the Novak in-tank pump to the FiTech I put on the Jeep (please see: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fif-30005)? If so, may I bother you for a link to the Novak pump?

Thank you for the gallon requirements on the Herculiner! I am still thinking of adding the Herculiner and the carpet kit (https://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/sale- ... -gw-63-91/) to help sound proof the inside of the cab.

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/fue ... el-module/

You don't need the pressure regulator. Fitech has one built in. Make sure to call and ask what the pressure is on the pump they will install and that it goes to greater than 100psi.

I think they use a Delphi 120 but I would confirm this with Novak when you order in case they changed it since last year.

I run this setup with my fitech. It also keeps the fuel cooler because the pump is submerged in liquid. You will have to pull out the tank to install this unless someone has made an access hole in your floor which you could do since your stripping the floor.