power window swap

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
miltos68wgoneer

power window swap

Post by miltos68wgoneer »

I checked the past posts and did not find anything pertaining to this swap. I want to put 90 GW power window regulators and tracks but wonder if it is possible to do this without swapping the windows.this is going 90 power system into a 68.Has anyone done this and any help would be great before I buy the regulators.
68 WAGONEER / 5.3l, DIY ported heads, long tube headers, lingenfelter cam, griffin rad, trans cooler, E fan /4l70e, front discs,2003 grand cherokee seats front and rear, super wagoneer center console,hydroboost.
53 CHEVY 210 stock

http://s64.photobucket.com/user/miltos6 ... t=3&page=1

Tatsadasayago

Re: power window swap

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I recall the late GW's used a nylon tooth drive system and some special guides, bracketry and glass. This may screw you up bigtime unless you get all the parts except the door itself Milt.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

Yep, you will need all the parts including the glass.
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

HeavyMetalThunder_81 wrote:Yep, you will need all the parts including the glass.
Yes, and I believe the last couple years had the better [not good] spinning spring drive system. I have them in the Ugly Truck but I swapped the doors not the windows.

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Yes the last few years has a metal worm drive vs a nylon zipper type drive from previous years power windows.

Not sure if the windows are the same or if they'll line up with the door mounts on a 68. may need some modification or fabricating to make it work right. If the windows are the same shouldn't be that bad. That I couldn't tell you. Would be nice to have two doors next to each other to compare them first. Also to see where they mount the brackets.

If you want to try and can't get it to work I'll buy em from you if you can give me a decent price.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

babywag

Post by babywag »

It will work provided you swap glass. Or fabricate your own mounts for attaching regulators to glass.

Early glass is flat on bottom, uses metal channel to attach glass to regulator.
late glass has ears, no channel, regulator mounts right to glass.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

letank

Post by letank »

Funny , I did the opposite , I converted electrical windows from a late Wagoneer total door swap on my 74. I had to modify the regulator because it was too long and I could not close the window, cut and weld, and repeat. The glass window with the ears could be matched to the manual regulator.
as said early glass till 78ish is thicker.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

lkmarsh

Post by lkmarsh »

My experience with cable windows is all negative. When I convert my 69 I'll use old school regulators from a 60's sedan and make them fit. May have to cut and weld a bit, but no cables thank you. Big swap in Turlock January 27-28, maybe I'll see you there!
Lyle
69 1414x Buick350/Th400/D20
PDB, HEI, relays, rallyes, rhino, rust...
73 Wagoneer parts donor