Waggy lift springs on a Cherokee

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
woodsboy00

Waggy lift springs on a Cherokee

Post by woodsboy00 »

I have the chance to buy some waggy rear lift springs (unknown lift, brand) and was wondering if they would fit my Cherokee. I think they will, even thought they rear end was a AMC 20 on the waggy, going to my D44 WT axle. I could buy them and use my stock u bolts, right? I can get them really cheap and I figure they would be good to have even if they don't fit. I attached a pic of the wag they were on. I think its a 4-6 inch lift. What do y'all think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1976 Cherokee Chief
360/T18/D20 (SWAPPED)
WT D44s
3" RC
37x13x15 Boggers
Twin Stick
MM Hubs

Currently in mod stage!
(Almost done, hah...)

fulsizjeep

Re: Waggy lift springs on a Cherokee

Post by fulsizjeep »

Hi - It would help to know what year Cherokee you have. I had to dig a ways back to find it is a 76. If you put some vehicle info in your signature, that would help us help you. I have our KIA listed in my signature just for fun.

For all FSJ Cherokee and Wagoneers 76-91, the springs are the same. Maybe J10s too but I am not that well versed in the Jtrucks. If it was a 74 or 75 Cherokee, the front springs would fit but not the rear.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
woodsboy00

Post by woodsboy00 »

Sorry guys, I will get on the computer and do that later. I should have thought to do that! Can you give me any indication of how much lift those springs might give? I figure they are probably about 5" inches on that waggy, which might give me more like 6" on my Cherokee, enabiling me to SOA the front. Also, how much are they worth? The guy is a buddy of mine, and told me before I could have em for $20 a piece! I'm thinking that's a steal.
1976 Cherokee Chief
360/T18/D20 (SWAPPED)
WT D44s
3" RC
37x13x15 Boggers
Twin Stick
MM Hubs

Currently in mod stage!
(Almost done, hah...)

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

I would grab them at $20 each even though I don't need them.

U-Bolts, I think all manufacturers of u-bolts will tell you not to reuse them, the threads are cut to where they bite in are supposed to lock them down good.
Have I ever reused u-bolts? Sure, I think most of us have but most of the time they are pretty beat up and I just cut them off.

As to what lift those springs are, the front looks to still have some good arch but it's sort of hard to tell without knowing tires size, the rig also has some fender trimming done to it.
My best guess would be if those are 33's it might be a 6" spring, 31's might make the 4".
Hopefully you can grab a part number off them and look them up.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Topic author
woodsboy00

Post by woodsboy00 »

Well, I just talked to the guy and he said they are all mine. He has no use for them anymore, so I get them in a week or two. He says he looked all over them and couldn't find numbers or stamps, but maybe he over looked something.

Tad, if they are 6" springs, I would like to run these in the back, and do a SOA in the front of my Chief. So, I will be coming after a kit from you. Has this been done frequently? I.E. run 6" springs in the back and SOA up front? I have a '76 Chief.
1976 Cherokee Chief
360/T18/D20 (SWAPPED)
WT D44s
3" RC
37x13x15 Boggers
Twin Stick
MM Hubs

Currently in mod stage!
(Almost done, hah...)

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

woodsboy00 wrote:...Tad, if they are 6" springs, I would like to run these in the back, and do a SOA in the front of my Chief. So, I will be coming after a kit from you. Has this been done frequently? I.E. run 6" springs in the back and SOA up front? I have a '76 Chief.
Most folks do it the other way around.
They go 6" springs up front and SF in the rear to avoid dealing with the steering mod's/costs and get better articulation in the rear.
But yes, you can do it that way, it's just not an exact match for height front to rear and the rear is not adjustable.
If you use my perches as an example you get 4 3/4" + the thickness of your front spring pack for the SOA lift height, it's typically a little less than that total as the forces on the front springs are now different and they will sag a bit more.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Topic author
woodsboy00

Post by woodsboy00 »

I figured people would run SOA so they could have more flex up front. But I can understand not wanting to mess with steering issues. My Chief came stock with flat top knuckles, so I plan on just getting them milled tapped for my steering, and buying some arms and going ahead and doing a high steer. And front/back height difference doesn't bother me. My Chief is no show truck! ;)
1976 Cherokee Chief
360/T18/D20 (SWAPPED)
WT D44s
3" RC
37x13x15 Boggers
Twin Stick
MM Hubs

Currently in mod stage!
(Almost done, hah...)