New electric fuel pump install

Modified FSJ Tech Area

will e

Re: New electric fuel pump install

Post by will e »

What Michel is saying is true. You do not want your electric pump feeding you mechanical pump. The worse case scenario is you blow the diaphragm on the mechanical pump and push a bunch of gas into the oiling system. This can ruin your engine.

So just bypass the mechanical pump. A block off plate is nice. I still have the old mechanical pump in place but it isn't causing any harm.

I hate to be a broken record. If you want to solve this issue you need to get a fuel pressure gauge. Even a cheap one. Install it between the fuel filter and carb. Let's see what is happening.

If you can spend the extra cash an in cab fuel pressure gauge is a really nice upgrade. My rig has one and it is a quick way to eliminate (or confirm) if fuel delivery issues are causing a problem.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
coolhand75

Post by coolhand75 »

Ok. I really appreciate your guys help. This truck never had any of these problems before. I will bypass it today and see what happens. The guy who worked on it removed the catch can and all of the hoses when he installed the new plastic tank. Part of me thinks the venting is not hooked up right. I can’t fill the tank without it tripping the handle shutoff a hundred times no matter witch way I hold the nozzle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

will e

Post by will e »

82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

Which electric pump did you go with? The cheap electrics are not any better than a mechanical when it comes to vapor lock.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

letank

Post by letank »

coolhand75 wrote:Ok. I really appreciate your guys help. This truck never had any of these problems before. I will bypass it today and see what happens. The guy who worked on it removed the catch can and all of the hoses when he installed the new plastic tank. Part of me thinks the venting is not hooked up right. I can’t fill the tank without it tripping the handle shutoff a hundred times no matter witch way I hold the nozzle.

If you suspect venting, drive with the gas cap off, as for the fueling and tripping the shut off, this is one of the FSJ disease, some gas stations are worst than others... you can try to turn the fuel nozzle at various angle to improve fueling, 90 degrees and even 180 degrees have been reported as a solution

Not too sure about what you call the catch can? pictures are always good
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
coolhand75

Post by coolhand75 »

ghcoe wrote:Which electric pump did you go with? The cheap electrics are not any better than a mechanical when it comes to vapor lock.
Carter

Topic author
coolhand75

Post by coolhand75 »

letank wrote:
coolhand75 wrote:Ok. I really appreciate your guys help. This truck never had any of these problems before. I will bypass it today and see what happens. The guy who worked on it removed the catch can and all of the hoses when he installed the new plastic tank. Part of me thinks the venting is not hooked up right. I can’t fill the tank without it tripping the handle shutoff a hundred times no matter witch way I hold the nozzle.

If you suspect venting, drive with the gas cap off, as for the fueling and tripping the shut off, this is one of the FSJ disease, some gas stations are worst than others... you can try to turn the fuel nozzle at various angle to improve fueling, 90 degrees and even 180 degrees have been reported as a solution

Not too sure about what you call the catch can? pictures are always good
I’ve tried every angle. The vapor canister where all the vent lines go

Topic author
coolhand75

Post by coolhand75 »

I was reading on the original tsm if you need to have the vent lines terminating above the fuel level.

Topic author
coolhand75

Post by coolhand75 »

https://youtu.be/vpP8XbUfZcY

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Also could be debris from the tank clogging up your pick up tube screen. It will run at first till the debris slowly builds up cutting fuel till you turn it off. Then it settles to the bottom of the tank till it slowly clogs again when you run the pump.

Might be why it seems to run worse when it warms up.

Your i nto it deep so far. Might as well go all the way and fix it for good.

Also don't you need a pressure regulator somewhere? Idk what your holly carb requires for fuel pressure but the stock pump runs usually 3-6lbs. Some of the electric pumps go way higher. I would check on this and get the right regulator if needed.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

letank

Post by letank »

coolhand75 wrote: The vapor canister where all the vent lines go
OK got it, the vapor canister is only a vapor recovery, it does not messed up filling up the tank, it can be a burden at high altitude. In Ouray I had to disconnect the vent line at the charcoal canister to help fuel delivery to the carb. so in your case one less thing to worry for now.

but back to your fuel delivery to carb, electric fuel pump to carb, bypass the mechanical, remove the gas cap.

The 74 does not have a fuel return line and it is working fine that way. I checked the fuel pressure at the beginning, and it was in the 4.5 to 5psi. I have the carter P4070 or equivalent, it is in my sig below in the fuel section
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
coolhand75

Post by coolhand75 »

letank wrote:
coolhand75 wrote: The vapor canister where all the vent lines go
OK got it, the vapor canister is only a vapor recovery, it does not messed up filling up the tank, it can be a burden at high altitude. In Ouray I had to disconnect the vent line at the charcoal canister to help fuel delivery to the carb. so in your case one less thing to worry for now.

but back to your fuel delivery to carb, electric fuel pump to carb, bypass the mechanical, remove the gas cap.

The 74 does not have a fuel return line and it is working fine that way. I checked the fuel pressure at the beginning, and it was in the 4.5 to 5psi. I have the carter P4070 or equivalent, it is in my sig below in the fuel section
I removed the fuel cap and does nothing to help the problem

Topic author
coolhand75

Post by coolhand75 »

I have a 600cfm Holley vent line I’m talking about is the one that comes off the carb bowl. And I was thinking if it goes to the wrong port on the tank which could be submerged in fuel than the won’t vent. Does that sound possible

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

coolhand75 wrote:I have a 600cfm Holley vent line I’m talking about is the one that comes off the carb bowl. And I was thinking if it goes to the wrong port on the tank which could be submerged in fuel than the won’t vent. Does that sound possible

Not sure if any ports from the carb should go to the fuel tank. Never seen it before myself.

One other thing you might want to check is the rubber lines that connect the tank to the steel fuel lines. They will deteriorate to a point where the pump will suck more air than fuel from them. I had this problem too. Took me a long time to figure that one out since as long as the pump is sucking they wont leak. Then leak only slightly once there is no pump action because the fuel drops back into the tank through the tube rather than out the holes.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

will e

Post by will e »

I would like to see a picture of the vent line on your Holley carb. Most don't have a vent for the bowls. Can you get us the carb number as well?

Video of the fuel filter didn't look unusual to me.

You might consider getting a fuel pressure gauge. It will tell you a lot.

Topic author
coolhand75

Post by coolhand75 »

ghcoe wrote:
coolhand75 wrote:I have a 600cfm Holley vent line I’m talking about is the one that comes off the carb bowl. And I was thinking if it goes to the wrong port on the tank which could be submerged in fuel than the won’t vent. Does that sound possible

Not sure if any ports from the carb should go to the fuel tank. Never seen it before myself.

One other thing you might want to check is the rubber lines that connect the tank to the steel fuel lines. They will deteriorate to a point where the pump will suck more air than fuel from them. I had this problem too. Took me a long time to figure that one out since as long as the pump is sucking they wont leak. Then leak only slightly once there is no pump action because the fuel drops back into the tank through the tube rather than out the holes.
New rubber lines when this first start happening the first thing I did was bypass the metal fuel supply line completely with new rubber hose

Topic author
coolhand75

Post by coolhand75 »

Topic author
coolhand75

Post by coolhand75 »

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

The metal lines are for a reason.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
coolhand75

Post by coolhand75 »

ShagWagon wrote:The metal lines are for a reason.
Please in lighten me