New electric fuel pump install

Modified FSJ Tech Area

kansasboy001

Re: New electric fuel pump install

Post by kansasboy001 »

coolhand75 wrote:
ghcoe wrote:Which electric pump did you go with? The cheap electrics are not any better than a mechanical when it comes to vapor lock.
Carter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The new carter's are junk. Made in South Korea now only get the top bolted on in America so they can still say made in USA (with foreign parts). There's a reason why the price dropped so much on them. Best options are Holley or Stewart Warner/ Walbro pumps. My bet is you don't actually have vapor lock but your pump is slowly dying or not siphoning correctly.

Also the metal lines help prevent vapor lock by not letting the gas expand.
1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

They route gas away from exhaust headers that could melt the
rubber hose, spring a fuel leak, and start an engine fire.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
coolhand75

Post by coolhand75 »

ShagWagon wrote:They route gas away from exhaust headers that could melt the
rubber hose, spring a fuel leak, and start an engine fire.
I have the rubber hose mounted the exact same way no problem there. I talked to a mechanic yesterday and seems to think everything is fine with the fuel issues I’m having. On that note all the metal lines are still there I might still use them. I was only bypassing them because the engine was drinking more than the mechanical pump was supplying

will e

Post by will e »

Given the location of the mechanical fuel pump it was also easier and cheaper to run a metal line than it would have been to route a rubber line during manufacturing. And as ShagWag mentions much safer too.

You might find it useful to get a fuel pressure gauge so you can see exactly what is really happening.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
coolhand75

Post by coolhand75 »

will e wrote:Given the location of the mechanical fuel pump it was also easier and cheaper to run a metal line than it would have been to route a rubber line during manufacturing. And as ShagWag mentions much safer too.

You might find it useful to get a fuel pressure gauge so you can see exactly what is really happening.
You are all probably right. But I spent a lot of money get this thing up and running so my wifey not to happy I’m spending more money getting it right. I’m sure you all understand that or be there too

will e

Post by will e »

$18 might keep you from spending money you don't need to spend.

https://www.amazon.com/Spectre-Performa ... SVF6P7PZ1C
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

letank

Post by letank »

coolhand75 wrote:
will e wrote:Given the location of the mechanical fuel pump it was also easier and cheaper to run a metal line than it would have been to route a rubber line during manufacturing. And as ShagWag mentions much safer too.

You are all probably right. But I spent a lot of money get this thing up and running so my wifey not to happy I’m spending more money getting it right. I’m sure you all understand that or be there too

Time to take the wifey to a nice dinner... or cook one for her... or bring flowers. We all have been there...

Took the GF to the junkyard today... the stealership has her parts backorder for over 3 weeks...

Back to schedule program, you can run rubber line in another direction to avoid cooking the gas by the exhaust manifold. My fuel filter is on the fender by the motorcraft box, and from there directly to the carb

Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
coolhand75

Post by coolhand75 »

My supply line jumps from the frame to the metal supply line that goes up the front of the timing case. I’ll probably re Connect the metal line that runs along the frame. Also I spoke to Holley today and them seem to think my delivery problem isn’t a problem. They did tell me I need to fatten up the main fuel jets because it’s a smog carb and there step a lean. The truck doesn’t like to run cold it will fall on its face and back fire sometimes. Next project......

Topic author
coolhand75

Post by coolhand75 »

letank wrote:
coolhand75 wrote:

Time to take the wifey to a nice dinner... or cook one for her... or bring flowers. We all have been there...

Took the GF to the junkyard today... the stealership has her parts backorder for over 3 weeks...

Back to schedule program, you can run rubber line in another direction to avoid cooking the gas by the exhaust manifold. My fuel filter is on the fender by the motorcraft box, and from there directly to the carb

I know what you mean about the wife buys it’s hard to do. We bought a house in October I spent months renovating it moved in February still working on it have twins that are almost 3 a sixteen year old. It’s hard to get free time to work on the truck let alone free time for a date night but I know what you mean.

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

Where did you mount the fuel pump? Back by the tank or up front near where the original pump was located?
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

Topic author
coolhand75

Post by coolhand75 »

About a foot and a half from the tank

letank

Post by letank »

coolhand75 wrote: I know what you mean about the wife buys it’s hard to do. We bought a house in October I spent months renovating it moved in February still working on it have twins that are almost 3 a sixteen year old. It’s hard to get free time to work on the truck let alone free time for a date night but I know what you mean.
You are doing good, did the same, house and twins who are grown adults now...

if you have an autozone store, there a tool loan program, free, you pay for the tool, but the money is refunded when you return the tool within 1 month or so and there is a fuel pressure test kit

https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools/f ... 913437_0_0

some place have less generous program, 2 days rental for free...

From my experience, it does not matter where the electric fuel pump is next to the tank of closer to the engine, it has to be at gas tank level

I tried both way due to issues, which did not resolve something feeling like "vapor locking", which was in fact flooding due to a loose inlet carb valve... check my fuel and gas bookmark below. You have a truck and mine are wagons... probably easier in the truck to access the fuel tank lines.
Michel

will e

Post by will e »

letank wrote:
if you have an autozone store, there a tool loan program, free, you pay for the tool, but the money is refunded when you return the tool within 1 month or so and there is a fuel pressure test kit

That's a great idea!

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I dont let my wife know how much I spend on my Jeeps :shock:

Topic author
coolhand75

Post by coolhand75 »

will e wrote:
letank wrote:

That's a great idea!
Thanks good idea

Topic author
coolhand75

Post by coolhand75 »

letank wrote:
coolhand75 wrote: I know what you mean about the wife buys it’s hard to do. We bought a house in October I spent months renovating it moved in February still working on it have twins that are almost 3 a sixteen year old. It’s hard to get free time to work on the truck let alone free time for a date night but I know what you mean.
You are doing good, did the same, house and twins who are grown adults now...

some place have less generous program, 2 days rental for free...

From my experience, it does not matter where the electric fuel pump is next to the tank of closer to the engine, it has to be at gas tank level

I tried both way due to issues, which did not resolve something feeling like "vapor locking", which was in fact flooding due to a loose inlet carb valve... check my fuel and gas bookmark below. You have a truck and mine are wagons... probably easier in the truck to access the fuel tank lines.
I would like to read your bookmark. But I can’t find

kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

Just a thought. You could not have a vapor lock problem at all. Mechanical pump could have been bad and so is the electric. Next time when it starts running itself out of fuel quickly pull off the hose from the electric pump output as close to the pump as you can. See if you have a steady stream of gas or if it's spitting. Pump could not be drawing fuel correctly.

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

kansasboy001 wrote:Just a thought. You could not have a vapor lock problem at all. Mechanical pump could have been bad and so is the electric. Next time when it starts running itself out of fuel quickly pull off the hose from the electric pump output as close to the pump as you can. See if you have a steady stream of gas or if it's spitting. Pump could not be drawing fuel correctly.
I do this sometimes if needed. I use a 2 liter bottle to stick the hose into so fuel doesn't go all over so bad and be extra careful of fire.

Could be plugging the pickup screen or even worse the fuel pumps with crud from the gas tank that builds up on the screeens as it collect debris. Then when you shut it off it backflushes and settles again. Till it runs for a while.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

letank

Post by letank »

coolhand75 wrote: I would like to read your bookmark. But I can’t find
below in my signature, check the hyperlink "in blue"
Michel

kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

ShagWagon wrote:
kansasboy001 wrote:Just a thought. You could not have a vapor lock problem at all. Mechanical pump could have been bad and so is the electric. Next time when it starts running itself out of fuel quickly pull off the hose from the electric pump output as close to the pump as you can. See if you have a steady stream of gas or if it's spitting. Pump could not be drawing fuel correctly.
I do this sometimes if needed. I use a 2 liter bottle to stick the hose into so fuel doesn't go all over so bad and be extra careful of fire.

Could be plugging the pickup screen or even worse the fuel pumps with crud from the gas tank that builds up on the screeens as it collect debris. Then when you shut it off it backflushes and settles again. Till it runs for a while.
Also due to the design of our tanks pickups once the fuel gets below half or so (below the actual tube and only in the sock) there must be suction to pull the fuel out. The sock wicks but fuel will not gravity siphon through it by itself. The carter's are not ment to pull fuel at all and with the very subpar quality of the carters in recent years they will quickly vapor lock themselves and eventually burn up.