my 401 is TIRED... thinking about a swap

Modified FSJ Tech Area

will e

Re: my 401 is TIRED... thinking about a swap

Post by will e »

tgreese wrote:
If you want to use a Holley, buy a book about tuning them. They are pretty easy to tune, and the tune-up parts are widely available. If you go with all the off-road mods, expect to pay more than $100 extra for tuning parts and modifications.

Holley also has a youtube channel with a lot of postings on how to tune a carb. I found there video's to be very helpful.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

babywag

Post by babywag »

With the offroad parts the Holley 2300 is a decent carb, however with the 500cfm your mileage will suck.
The performance increase is decent and quite noticeable.
My '72 CJ5 has had one on it for decades, and I ran a 500cfm on both my '88 & my '90, before installing EFI on them.
Like said above once tuned/setup they are a good carb.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
mgbreis

Post by mgbreis »

Ok, short update. Began changing the water pump today because it began leaking badly last week. Of course 4 of the 1/4" bolts snapped off. I think I can get them out, but what a pain. All I could think about the whole time in the garage was "LS". Look at this greaseball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

will e

Post by will e »

mgbreis wrote:Ok, short update. Began changing the water pump today because it began leaking badly last week. Of course 4 of the 1/4" bolts snapped off. I think I can get them out, but what a pain. All I could think about the whole time in the garage was "LS". Look at this greaseball.
I've seen worse. ;)

Did you get a compression test done? That will really help you determine if the 4 oh 1 is healthy enough to spend time and money on or if you just bite the bullet and go for an expensive and time consuming LS swap.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
mgbreis

Post by mgbreis »

No, I haven't done a compression test. I didn't mean to mislead anyone, as I have enjoyed all of the information on this thread. But I really have no option but to keep the 401 going for awhile before I could undertake anything like a rebuild or a swap. I've got one car that I need to sell, and two other projects to finish up. Classic case of biting off way more than anyone sane would. I vowed to just keep the Jeep going and only do the absolute necessities for the near future. So every time I find myself thinking about how "easy" it would be to do this or that... I take a deep breath and step back! I did order a carb rebuild kit and I'm considering either a TFI or HEI conversion. Thankfully the broken bolts in the timing cover are sticking out to where I can get vice grips or weld a nut on them.