Chevy 63 Inch Rear Leaf Conversion

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Adventure_Wagon88

Chevy 63 Inch Rear Leaf Conversion

Post by Adventure_Wagon88 »

I know this has been talked about and I am trying to search, believe me! I can't find any threads that do more than mention this. I am trying to decide on my rear leaf option. I want to stay with leaf springs in the rear for simplicity, I will probably end up with a linked front end. I have a 14 bolt that came with leafs, I believe they are 63" eye to eye and they're a 2.5" wide spring . They have a HEFTY load helper on the bottom which I am sure should go. Are these most likely the leaf people talk about using for a "63 inch Chevy leaf" conversion? They're fairly flat but probably have more arch to them than the stock rears. Do people generally fab mounts for both ends of the spring when doing this? Does everyone run a flipped shackle (placing it in compression, rather than tension as the stock setup for the FSJ would be)? Any links to threads or pics of your setups would be greatly appreciated!

Here's what you should know about my build and goals.

1988 Grand Wagoneer stock rear suspension
Sticking with leaf for simplicity
Want to be able to tow a decent load, most likely a well balanced 2-axle trailer not over 21' long or more than 8500 lbs
Running 37x12.5" tires
Move rear axle back a bit just for tire clearance? Goal is not to stretch the wheel base to any specific number
14 bolt full float rear
NO BLOCKS, or lift perches even (using Ruff Stuff standard perches)
Installing a basic single traction bar
Building to keep center of gravity as low as possible
Desired suspension height over stock will be somewhere +/- 1" of SOA converted height

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Chevy 63 Inch Rear Leaf Conversion

Post by Stuka »

You have to move both spring mounts as I recall if you want to keep the axle in the same place. Most people that do this are extended the wheel base, so they only move the rear mount.

All the conversions I have seen are running a shackle flip. Many have done it, but they are buried in build threads that I cannot recall off hand. As i recall Tad did it to his (extending the wheel base).
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Adventure_Wagon88

Thanks Stuka, I'll play around with it using the existing front mount and see where that puts me

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Adventure_Wagon88

I made a Botophucket account but still don't see the images. Should I be able to see those? I see Tad's but the others sound really helpful!

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

It isn't your membership that matters it's the poster's.

Do a little searching, there's a fix that was posted a within the last week or two that'll let you see the pichers.

Turns out it was here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=184167

I haven't tried it.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

mgbreis

Post by mgbreis »

I can report firsthand that the google chrome fix for the photobucket issue worked for me. I can see all the old photos now.

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I did the 63" GM spring swap on my '88 GW and actually can't find any pics on my site of it. I know I have/had them, but can't find 'em. I sold that jeep a long time ago.

I also have 63" GM springs on the rear of my J10 Honcho. Only pic I could find

I've ran mine for several years and only broken one (as opposed to I've broken more fronts than I can remember). They are good. I would suggest getting the heaviest ones you can find.

Topic author
Adventure_Wagon88

SO awesome, that works! I like the look of BJT's, I think that's what I want to do. Does he still hang out here at all? Curious what size tire's he's got on in that picture, they don't look larger than a 35 to me.

Blake If you come across any more photos of that 88 please post up. That looks very similar to what I'm planning on doing. I have the Ruff Stuff traction bar ready to go in and plan to run it just like that. I have a set of 63" Chevy's already, they have 5 leafs and a massive helper which I will delete. I was told the axle came out of a 1997 GMC 2500 but it's a full float 14 with the drums that are pressed onto the hub. It appeared to me as if it may have been swapped into that truck at some point, but I never saw the truck as he had already scrapped it. So the springs may be from something older as well, not sure.

Those who mounted with a 5" rearward axle move, did you use the factory front mount for the rear spring?