LS Swap AC System

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
suttonlive

LS Swap AC System

Post by suttonlive »

I am on the tail end of a LS swap into my 76 J20. Its a Gen IV motor and 6l80e. My intention is to utilized the LS compressor, Jeep evaporator and condenser. I know this has been done and sounds like it has worked well. I haven't found many details about this and want to know some.

What are others doing about lines, drier, etc.. I'm interested in your experience so please post good or bad.

I have read that GM realized the lower position of the compressor had issues with fluid (oil) pooling on the intake of the compressor. The compressor would be damaged as it tried to compress a liquid. I don't understand what they did, but read they made a patch in the startup of the compressor to limit that damage. I plan to start the new compressor like Jeep did with a switch. Has anyone had any issues after a swap?

Thanks.
Suttonlive
'90 Grand Wagoneer - Nice mostly stock DD
'78 Cherokee Chief - 35" 6" Lift 401, TF727, d300 (Not original Drive train)
'76 Wagoneer Stock 360, t400 (Motor pulled. Will rise again)
'76 J-20 Stock LS Swap L92 6.2L, 6l80e, Atlas II
'68 Gladiator 327, 4-speed, survivor
'64 J-200 "FlatTop"Next project. Resto-Mod that me and my daughter work on. "on pause"
'79 Cherokee - Donor '64 j-200 Donor

swampedge

Re: LS Swap AC System

Post by swampedge »

Contact 64wagoneer. I believe that’s his handle. We made all new hoses and installed the adapter fittings on his compressor when I was out there this past summer. He can clue you in on part numbers maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You really are judged by the dogs you have!

swampedge

LS Swap AC System

Post by swampedge »

You really are judged by the dogs you have!

sonoraed
Vendor

Re: LS Swap AC System

Post by sonoraed »

the problem with compressor getting slugged with oil draining down to the compressor after shut down was solved by creating a internal bypass for oil when compressor is fired up, most denso style LS compressor made in the last 10-12 years have this, only thing that happened with old style id after many years it started rattling so bad it was replaced, next buy compressor port adapter that with convert the suction and discharge to a #8 and #10 inverted male o-ring,next thing to do is replace the drier (original style is fine) and fabricate hoses, really need a hose shop or ac shop that stock fittings and hoses and crimps, to get an idea of fitting go to UAC.com and then to legacy catalog and take a look at whats out there, biggest hassle is where to put charging ports, call if you need help, Cheers Ed