Serehill's Tailgate relay diagram

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
dodgerammit

Serehill's Tailgate relay diagram

Post by dodgerammit »

Okay, since Rick passed, the FSJ community lost a vital guru to keep our quirky rigs going.

I have followed his thread on IFSJA and was under the impression that his son would carry on.

It has been several weeks and no reply yet from his son.

Now, I completely understand that settling an estate will take time and this may be the delay. If this is the case and his son begins fabbing these, then the mods have total permission to remove this thread. I do not want to take away from someone else.

Also, Rick said many times he didn't make much off of these units. This may be a factor and his son just doesn't want to make them for so little.

His son may be busy like we all are.

Again, in any case, if he should start producing these, again this thread can be removed. I will not complain.

I take no credit for this. This is all Rick's Work. If there is an error, it is on my end.

I will try to add links to how-tos in the future as well as links to where to buy some of this stuff. In the mean time, I'd probably check out dell city for parts.
Others are welcome to add to or make corrections as needed.

Without further delay, I give you guys this:

I believe the bold colors should be 12 gauge and the thinner colors should be 14/16 gauge.
Last edited by dodgerammit on Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
dodgerammit

Re: Serehill's Tailgate relay diagram

Post by dodgerammit »

Parts list (Dell city)

P/N QTY Description
71140 1 30 Amp Modified Reset Metal Circuit Breaker with Parallel Mounting Bracket
78310 1 ATC/ATO Water tight Fuse Holder, 16-Ga, 10 amp max.
73115 2 SPDT On-Off-On Toggle Switch, Screw Terminal - Assembled
73980 2 NC/NO Change Over Relay w/Bracket, 30/50 Amp,12V DC
73999 2 Plug-in Base for Relays
70016 2 6 Gang Terminal Block, 30A
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

A pretty good writeup on how to do the job: http://www.myjeepandme.com/fix-your-jee ... -tailgate/

I do not recommend drilling holes in the tailgate like he did. Just get a pair of long needle nose pliers from autozone like these:
https://www.autozone.com/wrenches-plier ... 914141_0_0
or these:
https://www.autozone.com/wrenches-plier ... 914139_0_0
and pop those clips off!

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

How to use your factory dash switch with the new setup (see reply 46) Pics are gone thanks to boto#uckit: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthre ... 645&page=3

Edit: pics

Last edited by dodgerammit on Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curly

Post by Curly »

Nice job on the wiring diagram. I had diagrammed mine out before I installed it, but it was such a spaghetti mess of lines on the screen I'm sure I'm the only one who could read it.
I start what I finish.

81 Wagoneer 4.2/auto
77 Cherokee S 360/Auto/QT
97 Jeep Wrangler

GI-John

Post by GI-John »

I have one of his original prototypes. Thank you for saving this.

chrisrkirby

Post by chrisrkirby »

Thank you very much!!

tigger4x

Post by tigger4x »

Thank you for posting this! It's good to see Rick's innovation and helpful jeeper spirit will continue on for generations to come! I hope the same can be done with his headlight relay set up as well.

80Limited

Post by 80Limited »

I always want to get one of his relay kits with the remote option. Does anyone know what he used as a controller module?

Curly

Post by Curly »

80Limited wrote:I always want to get one of his relay kits with the remote option. Does anyone know what he used as a controller module?
The remote on mine is labled 5018 on top, 133m 12v on the bottom.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I start what I finish.

81 Wagoneer 4.2/auto
77 Cherokee S 360/Auto/QT
97 Jeep Wrangler

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Throwing in one of these would greatly simplify wiring: https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Cont ... DVF75MBTJW

For those who cant view the link it's a DC motor reversing solenoid for a small winch.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

chrisrkirby

Post by chrisrkirby »

Nikkormat wrote:Throwing in one of these would greatly simplify wiring: https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Cont ... DVF75MBTJW

For those who cant view the link it's a DC motor reversing solenoid for a small winch.

Could you post a diagram utilizing this? I would love to build one.

babywag

Post by babywag »

I just added a cheap window module, and wired it to aux. input of keyless entry unit I had.
Also added for front windows, think they were ~$15/ea.
Can roll them all up/down from key fob...
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

chrisrkirby

Post by chrisrkirby »

babywag wrote:I just added a cheap window module, and wired it to aux. input of keyless entry unit I had.

Sounds good.....can you give some more details?

Keep in mind...I'm a dumb engineer.

Thx

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Ummm... Well you'd run fused power from the battery, and find a ground source, and then you'd hook the motor to the appropriate terminals. And the switches to the appropriate terminals. I don't know how the original setup handled the tailgate switch, but the dash switch could be replaced with a spdt momentary rocker switch. And a fella could add another one in the cargo area for rolling down the window from inside.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

babywag

Post by babywag »

chrisrkirby wrote:
babywag wrote:I just added a cheap window module, and wired it to aux. input of keyless entry unit I had.

Sounds good.....can you give some more details?

Keep in mind...I'm a dumb engineer.

Thx
For tailgate simply put module behind dash switch & wired per instructions with short jumper harness.
The keyless entry module hookup was simple as well just used aux. input to added window modules. For front window modules modified door harness(es) modules went in doors but they could be stuffed under dash too, then to diff. aux. keyless module wires.

The keyless unit it an autoloc, has several aux. functions.
I forget what the window modules are, but cheap/easy find bought them on ebay.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Mikeswagon

Post by Mikeswagon »

Is there a straight fit exchange front switch to replace a broken oe switch in a ´89 GW? I understand that the serehill kit comes with a replacement switch. Anybody got a part number? It is important for me to keep it pretty oe looking....i´d adapt the new wiring pictured above, but need a switch.

Thansk

bwwhaler

Post by bwwhaler »

The Kit I got from Rick had the replacement switch with it, I had an original, and one I had pulled from another GW, and couldn't get either to work correctly with the new harness, as I recall, the window would go down, but not up, no matter how I wired it, not sure if both the switches were bad, or if the originals just wouldn't work with the new wiring.... That being what it was, I used the new switch that Rick gave me with the kit and haven't looked back since installing it... As far as I am aware, there is no replacement OEM switch, maybe check BJ's or Team Grand Wagoneer for replacements?
1987 GW 360/727/229 Performer intake Holley 670 32's 4" BJ's Springs CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

Mikeswagon

Post by Mikeswagon »

this should be what i need....

https://www.delcity.net/images/linedraw ... 0424183008

Let´s see if i can get this shipped over here....

bwwhaler

Post by bwwhaler »

That sure looks like it, also, while on the phone with Rick one time, he did tell me that his harness would work with the original switch, I had a late model switch, so he was unsure if that was the problem with it... Good luck, let us know what you find out, I would like to put in an original switch as well, not that I mind the toggle switch, but it would clean my dash up some.
1987 GW 360/727/229 Performer intake Holley 670 32's 4" BJ's Springs CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness