Re: Cherokee Chief aftermarket seats

Post by Wagnstuff »

great info kansasboy001 !!!!!
1989 jeep GW, 3" lift, fuel injected 408 ci crate motor, air locker rear

Santeh

Post by Santeh »

Hello Everyone,

I just came across this thread and have a question. As I am short, I find that the low back OEM seats in my 1978 Cherokee make me lean too far back. I read through the thread and from the suggestions I like the Corbeau Baja RS as possible new seat replacements for my front seats. If I do go this route, may I ask what seatbelts others have used to replace the original ones?
1978 Jeep Cherokee S; 5.9L/360 V8 automatic/FiTech fuel injection and Davis Unified Distributor systems.

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

I am using the original belts with my Corbeau Moabs. They work just fine with them. But I have looked into swapping them out with a set of these:

https://www.retrobelt.com/collections/shop-by-color-tan

Can get them from Summit etc.

toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

Has anyone successfully converted the rest seat belts to the modern 3 point style like the front? If so what did you mount to and where. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Just as a follow up to my other post, the Corbeau Moab's are a fairly snug seat in the back. I am 6'1", 175 lbs with a 33-34" waist. The bottoms of the seat fit me just fine, but the bolsters on the upper part of the seat are fairly snug. I am not a body builder etc., just a fairly normal size guy. So keep that in mind if you do consider those. The bolsters have worn in some, and the snugness is not as much now. Quite comfortable. But I assume it will be this way with any new seat until they get broken in.

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

toothofwar wrote:Has anyone successfully converted the rest seat belts to the modern 3 point style like the front? If so what did you mount to and where. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
I did this conversion. You should already have a top point threaded hole behind your headliner, and the retractor will mount directly below it on the top of the wheel well (with a L Bracket and a large backing plate). My only problem was my belts were meant for floor mount in the back, so they are a little long and dont retract fully, so they hang a bit loose when not in use.
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

cmaje72

Post by cmaje72 »

Santeh wrote:Hello Everyone,

I just came across this thread and have a question. As I am short, I find that the low back OEM seats in my 1978 Cherokee make me lean too far back. I read through the thread and from the suggestions I like the Corbeau Baja RS as possible new seat replacements for my front seats. If I do go this route, may I ask what seatbelts others have used to replace the original ones?
Stock style seatbelts work just fine with the Corbeau seats. If you are looking to go to a 4 point harness you would need to figure out mount points for the shoulder straps.
79 Cherokee 5.3/4l65E/NP241C
79 CJ7

Santeh

Post by Santeh »

Thanks again, everyone!

I am still leaning towards the Corbeau Baja RS seats as I like the wider look, I just hope they prop my 5'6" self up enough.

I do need to replace my seat belts as the OEM set current in my Cherokee are very worn. Thank you, then, for the link and I am thinking of these:

https://www.retrobelt.com/products/blac ... cket-seats
1978 Jeep Cherokee S; 5.9L/360 V8 automatic/FiTech fuel injection and Davis Unified Distributor systems.