Steering column swap

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
kZ900Jim

Steering column swap

Post by kZ900Jim »

I'm working on my sons '79 wag and a PO has swapped the steering column for a tilt unit from a vehicle that was an automatic.

Has anyone done a tilt swap from a non auto unit? If so what car/trucks should I look for?
'Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt.

Naivete in adults is often Charming, but when coupled with vanity it is indistinguishable from stupidity.

fulsizjeep

Re: Steering column swap

Post by fulsizjeep »

So I take it this 79 Wag has a manual transmission with a floor shifter? The steering column is a 70s GM unit but I have never used a GM column to replace the Jeep column. Steering columns for manual transmissions are a little bit rare, probably rarer with tilt but any 73-79 FSJ could be a donor. The 80-85 FSJ steering column for standard transmission is also a GM unit and it is very possible those are also compatible. I have found that some of the connections in the wire harness to the steering column are slightly different from one year to another. For example, I put a 76 Cherokee column in a 77 J20 and had to change a couple pin-outs in the harness plug to fit the need.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
kZ900Jim

Post by kZ900Jim »

Thanks for the info!
I read one thread from a google search that someone used an early 90's XJ column and changed the base of it to the SJ base. I think I'm going to look at the XJ units.
'Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt.

Naivete in adults is often Charming, but when coupled with vanity it is indistinguishable from stupidity.

Rod2

Post by Rod2 »

I have one from a '77 Firebird that went in with minimal alterations. I think I cut the firewall plate off mine and bolted the Firebird one on with its clamps; it may have been in reverse order, but one was welded on and the other was clamped. The under dash plate was spot on, the length was perfect, the splines matched, the lock cylinder interchanged flawlessly, and the wiring harness connector was identical. I used my lock ring to make my steering wheel line up correctly. Since the Firebird was auto equipped with a floor shift, I had no shifter knob on the column, and I made sure the lockout position was in park and cut the arm off below the firewall. The actual starter switch is an automatic version that must be kept because of the tilt configuration, but the Jeep wires plug right in.
Good luck finding one.
'73 J4000 'WOOD GO' 360, 2100 MC, T-18, D-20, 60-2 rear, D-44 closed knuckle front with Warn lock-o-Matics, Eaton E-lockers both, Pertronix module, AC, PS, Hydro-boost, AirLift bags front and rear, 33x15 Goodyear MTR's, Pacer 15x8 aluminum Bullet Holes, Summit line lock, 3rd brake light, tilt column from '77 Firebird, 12000 MileMarker on cradle, hitch receiver on both ends

derf

Post by derf »

kZ900Jim wrote:Thanks for the info!
I read one thread from a google search that someone used an early 90's XJ column and changed the base of it to the SJ base. I think I'm going to look at the XJ units.
I did that on mine.

You have to trim off the base plate from the XJ column but it's not hard to do.

And I swapped the internal shaft from the SJ column to the XJ base because the end of the shaft is different. But it went right in with no problems.