Re-usable oil filters

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
az chip

Re-usable oil filters

Post by az chip »

I did a bunch of searches and came up empty. Anyone used one of those metal re-usable oil filters?

http://kandpengineering.com/product-catalog/s16/
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

SparkyB

Re: Re-usable oil filters

Post by SparkyB »

Used them on dirt bikes in the past but never on my vehicles. Never had a problem.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

44bz

Post by 44bz »

Is it really $164? You'd have to do 20 oil changes before you broke even...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

They only make sense when you are changing the oil super often. Such as in racing or the like.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Tanker

Post by Tanker »

We use those on the dyno to see whats going out. To use on a street car not to practical.
Jakes Full Size Jeep Junkyard
Hire the handicap there fun to watch. IR1

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

How do you clean it?

Without contaminating the clean side?

How do you know it's clean?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

SJTD wrote:How do you clean it?

Without contaminating the clean side?

How do you know it's clean?

Instructions on the website. Only reason I am considering is the oil volume it puts out. Maybe it is practical if it does a certain job the right way.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

I have one, and like it. It's supposed to filter better, has more flow, and less waste.

One thing that concerned me is that there is no flow back preventer, but it moves oil so well it's not a problem, oil pressure jumps right up when starting.
1984 GW

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Thanks for the feedback weeegoneeer. How often do you change out the o-ring with a new one?

weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

I just put it in 1,000 miles ago, so haven't had to change the o-ring yet! They do say you get a few uses out of it, and can flip it over to get a few more. Also, it ships with a spare. Thinking I'll get at least 8 oil changes with what they ship. Really curious to see what's in the filter / stuck to the magnet when I do get to an oil change!

I called them to ask about the lack of a backflow preventer and they were super nice. If you have any deep questions wouldn't hesitate to give them a shout!

Also - these filters are probably overkill, but I kind of like overkill. :)

~j
1984 GW

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Stuka wrote:They only make sense when you are changing the oil super often. Such as in racing or the like.
Hey Stuka, This is totally tongue in cheek. Is "super often" once a month? More or less? :twisted:

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

weeegoneeer wrote:I just put it in 1,000 miles ago, so haven't had to change the o-ring yet! They do say you get a few uses out of it, and can flip it over to get a few more. Also, it ships with a spare. Thinking I'll get at least 8 oil changes with what they ship. Really curious to see what's in the filter / stuck to the magnet when I do get to an oil change!

I called them to ask about the lack of a backflow preventer and they were super nice. If you have any deep questions wouldn't hesitate to give them a shout!

Also - these filters are probably overkill, but I kind of like overkill. :)

~j
I found somewhere that a Mcmaster-Carr part for the o-ring crosses to a 90025K391. You can get a bag for 11.00. Have not compared or purchased yet. Link https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/123/3549/=1939gr4

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

az chip wrote:
Stuka wrote:They only make sense when you are changing the oil super often. Such as in racing or the like.
Hey Stuka, This is totally tongue in cheek. Is "super often" once a month? More or less? :twisted:
I was thinking more along the lines of after every race ;)
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Stuka wrote:
az chip wrote:
I was thinking more along the lines of after every race ;)
:D

Tanker

Post by Tanker »

Well race engines at lease have 4 oil changes before they race,this being Nascar. Oil is change at the track after qualifying before the race. A remote twin oil filter would work as well. We have that on the 69 Chevy an 95 Super charged Burb. Twin 1 quart oil filters.
Jakes Full Size Jeep Junkyard
Hire the handicap there fun to watch. IR1

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

I got one coming. I will try and evaluate candidly between a stock filter and this kind. This is the kind of filter we use on jet engines. Our bearing clearances are small as well so small particles need to be stopped there as well. This is probably overkill but experimentation is part of this hobby.

weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

I think I noticed a slight improvement in oil pressure - used to be 55-60psi at highway speeds and now is more like 65. It may also be the Jegs window sticker adds 10HP effect though. Curious to see your thoughts!
1984 GW

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

weeegoneeer wrote:I think I noticed a slight improvement in oil pressure - used to be 55-60psi at highway speeds and now is more like 65. It may also be the Jegs window sticker adds 10HP effect though. Curious to see your thoughts!
I will post results for sure.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Two ways to get higher pressure if nothing else is changed. More filter area or coarser element.

Which is it?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Two ways to get higher pressure if nothing else is changed. More filter area or coarser element.

Which is it?
Below is the FAQ page. Enjoy. Btw, these filters are used on certified aircraft. The same type I use and work with on large jet aircraft with very specific filtration requirements.

http://kandpengineering.com/faqs/