Lowering a Wagoneer?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

ShagWagon

Re: Lowering a Wagoneer?

Post by ShagWagon »

This for sale in FBImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

SemperFIGuy

Post by SemperFIGuy »

You may get more productive answers on a lowered forum, or hit up a show, we have Scrapin' the Coast down here, just ended a month or so ago.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Topic author
81waggy

Post by 81waggy »

66stepside wrote:If you're just trying to get a little lower, I've used 2" lowering blocks ( they also can lift 2") from Gattozone Auto Parts. That will only work if the leaf springs are under the axle.
Final look for the saggin' waggin' (bad rear sag in the back):

Keep in mind blocks in the front to raise, or lower a vehicle are usually illegal in many areas- but I've never heard of anyone getting busted for it.

I also have used custom springs on the Panel Delivery I had:

The ride on lowered rigs is not as cushy as stock height.

I like the panel wagon stance. Where did you get the springs made?
81 Wagoneer with a TBI 350 Vortec.
83 Wagoneer - 360 Quadratrac
69 Wagoneer - 350 Diesel trail rig
70 Wagoneer - 1414x

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

81waggy wrote: I like the panel wagon stance. Where did you get the springs made?
Thanks, I appreciate that. I did a spring under in the back, so the springs sat under the rear axle.

For the front, I took both spring packs to Pohle Spring Works here in Spokane and asked for new main leafs with 4.5" out. So they bent up new mains and reused the rest of the old springs, new bushings and repacked everything up.

After I did the install, I ended up with plenty of clearance between the bump stops, and the oil pan- the engine was a Chevy 350, though, so I can't tell you how much clearance you'll get with the AMC V8 you have. Overall, I was happy with the lowering.

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

It may have been mentioned...

Are you running stock springs in the rear? When I bought my Wagoneer, my suspension was an inch or two below stock. I had a terrible time over bumps because I kept hitting the overload leaf in the rear. If that's the case, I bet you can remove that leaf or cut it down to keep the leave above it from running into it.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Topic author
81waggy

Post by 81waggy »

66stepside wrote:
81waggy wrote: I like the panel wagon stance. Where did you get the springs made?
Thanks, I appreciate that. I did a spring under in the back, so the springs sat under the rear axle.

For the front, I took both spring packs to Pohle Spring Works here in Spokane and asked for new main leafs with 4.5" out. So they bent up new mains and reused the rest of the old springs, new bushings and repacked everything up.

After I did the install, I ended up with plenty of clearance between the bump stops, and the oil pan- the engine was a Chevy 350, though, so I can't tell you how much clearance you'll get with the AMC V8 you have. Overall, I was happy with the lowering.
I have a TBI 350 & 4l60e so I've got plenty of clearance. What do you mean 4.5" out? What did they charge you for that?

It doesn't look like I'm hitting the bump stops, I don't see any marks from contact. I replaced the shocks today with new Monroes. Rides a lot better over speed bumps. not perfect, but a lot better.
81 Wagoneer with a TBI 350 Vortec.
83 Wagoneer - 360 Quadratrac
69 Wagoneer - 350 Diesel trail rig
70 Wagoneer - 1414x

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

81waggy wrote:
66stepside wrote:

I have a TBI 350 & 4l60e so I've got plenty of clearance. What do you mean 4.5" out? What did they charge you for that?

It doesn't look like I'm hitting the bump stops, I don't see any marks from contact. I replaced the shocks today with new Monroes. Rides a lot better over speed bumps. not perfect, but a lot better.
I relocated the rear springs under the rear axle and took roughly 4.5" off the height in the back. A real saggin' waggin'.

The front springs were already located under the front axle, so the company that did the new front springs had to take the same amount out of the front springs so it would sit level, or lower, when compared to the rear. I did not take measurements of the front springs before and after the Spring Co.'s mod, but sure enough, the panel sat lower in the front as expected.

While I don't remember the actual cost, I think it was in the 250-375 price range. That included new u bolts, and bushings, too.