Can Style TFI Coils

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
The PIG Smith

Can Style TFI Coils

Post by The PIG Smith »

Either I read or I was told or both...that there is TFI coil that is a can style instead of the traditional goofy square type.
I did some searching and all I discovered was a rather heated debate about how some think the can type TFI coils are inferior to the square units.

So, my question to the group:
1. What is your opinion of the performance of the round verses square TFI coils?
2. Even if the can types are not as strong, is it that big of a difference? Are we splitting hairs?
3. What is the make, model and part number of the can style TFI coil that you would recommend?
Bryan Smith
Fort Wayne, Indiana
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
- 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green --Daily Driver
1986 Jeep J20
- Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line -- Current Project
1982 Jeep J10
- Has become a Long Term Project.
1981 Jeep J20
- Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
- Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

REDONE

Re: Can Style TFI Coils

Post by REDONE »

MSD Blaster3 is the only can style coil with a male terminal that I know of. I don't think there's anything wrong or even significantly different between the epoxy core coils (square) and oil filled (round) coils. The main differences I see are that the Blaster3 fits in the stock coil bracket, but the e-core TFI coil cost $30~ vs $50~ for the blaster 3.

The blaster 3 is in every parts store performance section, next to the fancy plug wires. I certainly don't have strong feelings either way, so that's funny that some people get heated over it.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I suspect the EI core is just more efficient and/or easier to wind than the cylindrical core. A toroid is likely even better, but more expensive to wind (?) than an EI core. Unless you really want the cylindrical form ("oil can" coil), you probably get more for your money with the EI style.

Pertronix also makes an epoxy-filled cylindrical coil, but the top post is cup style. MSD sells a convertor to post style... or, if you make your own wires from a universal set, put the old-style connector on the coil end of the coil wire.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

a TFI coil cannot be in a can, unless it was a giant can around the TFI coil. An oil bath coil is just a different design. But like Redone said, there is a blaster coil with a male plug on top.

Big issue with oil bath coils is they over heat. The second issue is they create a weaker magnetic field than an E-Core design, which translates to lower spark voltage.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Are you just looking for a higher performance coil to work with your stock components or are you doing the TFI upgrade and looking for a coil with a matching terminal?
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
The PIG Smith

Post by The PIG Smith »

Nikkormat wrote:Are you just looking for a higher performance coil to work with your stock components or are you doing the TFI upgrade and looking for a coil with a matching terminal?
Sorry for the delay in the respond:
I am not looking ultra level performance where I tweak everything.
I want to run my rig to run decent, have adequate power to not labor on the Interstate; for trail riding; for towing; and last not burn an insane amount of gasoline. (okay, maybe I am asking to much on the last one)
The issue I have is where to mount the square TFI coil.
If a can coil would and I would not be giving up a lot, I would use use the stock coil mount.
Bryan Smith
Fort Wayne, Indiana
1986 Jeep J20
1982 Jeep J10
1981 Jeep J20
1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

If it were me, I'd mount the open frame coil on the fenderwell as close to the bottom of the heater air box (Where I mounted my A/FR control unit. The location stays cool and doesn't get mud/water splashing, but that makes for a long plug wire (Like a Big Block Mopar).
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

I've got three years of abuse on my Blaster High Vibration cool and as people who have met me know I run my rigs hard... It's spark is hot enough that you really feel it when it gets you too...

If you are running a stock distributor cap (not the tfi upgrade) I don't think you could go wrong with one.

But I must also ask, why do you feel the need to upgrade? With a stock ignition system the extra output really isn't needed, and the three other jeeps I've tuned up after years of abuse are all still running presumably original coils. They have AMC logos on them...
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

68glad

Post by 68glad »

Unless you upgrade the rest of the system, stick with what you got.
68 Gladiator- RIP
78 Wagoneer- 401, D60/70, 203/205, 38's, Dual PS pump, Hydroboost, OBA, OBW, bla bla bla.

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

Topic author
The PIG Smith

Post by The PIG Smith »

Nikkormat wrote:But I must also ask, why do you feel the need to upgrade? With a stock ignition system the extra output really isn't needed, and the three other jeeps I've tuned up after years of abuse are all still running presumably original coils. They have AMC logos on them...
68glad wrote:Unless you upgrade the rest of the system, stick with what you got.
Sorry if I failed in pulling the curtain back to show the whole picture.
(You should thank me for sparing you the whole picture...no one wants to see how the hot dogs are made)

I had a TFI setup on my old motor and it was ugly as crap. Functional, but fugly.
I could put the TFI coil back on top of the A/C compressor, but I really do not want to on this newer motor.

One of my goal is to use this in a antique car parade and maybe some car cruises, drive ins, that sorta thing.
I want people who have never seen a FSJ or an AMC V8 to ask me, "Wow, what is that?"
When they look, gasp and drool, I want to my rig to be neat and presentable.
Does mean concourse perfect? ...of course not! That's crazy talk!
I am not building a mall crawler, for I want to use my rig, tow, ride trails, have fun.
However, I no longer want it to look like a hack job...which that is exactly what is is now.
Bryan Smith
Fort Wayne, Indiana
1986 Jeep J20
1982 Jeep J10
1981 Jeep J20
1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer

jeepman6

Post by jeepman6 »

I "mis" used my factory mount to hold the TFI coil. It's mounted in the stock location.