4l60e/quadratrac driveshaft clearance

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
tito1

4l60e/quadratrac driveshaft clearance

Post by tito1 »

I'm doing a 5.3l/4l60e swap in a 73 wagoneer and I found a quadratrac with the 700r4 adapter and milemarker kit for really cheap. I got an adapter to adapt to the 4l60e, put it all together and the double cardan on the front driveshaft doesn't even come close to clearing the trans pan. Has anybody run into this issue or have a solution? Appreciate any help and look forward to posting my swap on here.

fulsizjeep

Re: 4l60e/quadratrac driveshaft clearance

Post by fulsizjeep »

I am not familiar with this particular change but I am curious to see any pictures of the clearance problem at the tranny pan. Is the QT more forward or aft of the original location related to cross member and tranny mount?
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
tito1

Post by tito1 »

The th400 pan is notched in a few inches where the driveshaft connects. I was thinking of just doing a regular 2 piece shaft which looks like it would fit. Is the CV totally necessary? I can also shave back the rim of the pan for a little more clearance but there's no way that CV is going to clear the pan.

Topic author
tito1

Post by tito1 »

I'll post some photos when I get home today.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I believe the CV isn't needed if you run a part-time transfer case and keep the speeds down. I recall the CV was needed because the regular U-Joints would get too hot in full-time 4x4 mode for highway use.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
tito1

Post by tito1 »

Thanks Tatsadasayago. That was my thought too. Here are some pictures form the top and side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
tito1

Post by tito1 »

Also, its hard to see in the picture but theres a small tube that comes off the cap thats on the cover over the shift fork. My original quadratrac doesn't have the tube. Just a cap. Does that tube hook up to anything?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

memo43

Post by memo43 »

The small tube is a vent tube.
I have one on my full time TC, I have it routed up by the rear of the engine where the hose (metal line) points down. Something like an upside down U
US Marine
79 Jeep Cherokee
360/TH400/Full time TC
Dolphin gauges
GM style HEI
Power windows
Serehill tailgate and headlight harness

"My jeep has no manners it
marks every parking spot"

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I had trouble finding a decent CV driveshaft for the Blair II (78 Chief, 401/QT) so I used an early model standard U-Joint driveshaft since the TC had a part-time kit in it. Worked great and may be the solution to your clearance problem without having to hack n slash your trans pan.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

DustinLangston

Post by DustinLangston »

I wasn't aware that anyone was making a 4L60E to quadratrac adapter. I thought they only had a 4L60/700R4 to quadratrac. Let me know who makes it as I'd be interested.
1982 Wagoneer Limited 5.3L Vortec 4L60E swap - finished/restored - sold - bought back - sold again
1979 Wagoneer 360 TH400 1339 QT - built into perfect daily driver - sold
1981 J10 Sportside Honcho - finished/restored - sold
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - 5.3L Vortec 6L80E swap - finished/restored - sold
1967 Super Wagoneer - sold, too much work
1978 J10 Golden Eagle - finished/restored - sold
1962 Rambler Classic Cross Country Wagon - current project, wife's daily driver - she'll never let me sell it

Topic author
tito1

Post by tito1 »

AA makes an adapter for quadratrac to 700r4 and another for 4 bolt 700r4 to 6 bolt 4l60e. I just joined them together. Tatsadasayago and memo43, thanks for the info.

Elkman06

Post by Elkman06 »

"I believe the CV isn't needed if you run a part-time transfer case and keep the speeds down. I recall the CV was needed because the regular U-Joints would get too hot in full-time 4x4 mode for highway use."

Had not heard that one before...interesting. AFAIK, cv joints were created to counter the extreme angles we have on many, many applications for power distribution. Cars, trucks, atvs'....

Have a hard time believing that sourcing a small diameter driveshaft was tough to do. I can spin them up all day...but anyway there is a reason they used the 1.25in shaft on Chev trans applications.

Elkman06