Chevy 6.2 Diesel Cold Start after years of sitting. How To?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Chevy 6.2 Diesel Cold Start after years of sitting. How To?

Post by rocklaurence »

OK, I have a Suburban with a 6.2 Diesel, Automatic transmission, 4x4 that was a Florida State vehicle. It hasn't run in God Knows How Long and Im not sure on what to do first. Heres my idea
--Add fresh fuel to the filter
--Add aux fuel tank
--Crack the injector fittings and prime the system
==Have some starter fluid available

What else do I need to do to get it running?

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Chevy 6.2 Diesel Cold Start after years of sitting. How To?

Post by Stuka »

Turn it over by hand first, in case the rings are seized. If you can, get oil run up into the system. But not sure how thats done on a diesel, if you even can. But definitely turn it over by hand first.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I watched some Youtube videos on it. Ill prime it with trans fluid/ diesel and then run diesel behind that. Wish me luck.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Howzabout pulling the plugs and squirting some oil in there and cranking it before reinstalling them?

That would also give the IP and fuel pipes a chance to prime.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Coreyw454

Post by Coreyw454 »

2 fully charged and good batteries. a good working glow plug system or block heater

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Coreyw454 wrote:2 fully charged and good batteries. a good working glow plug system or block heater
OK, just found out that it doesn't have a starter or batteries. I have batteries to make this work but I dont see any battery cables on the drivers side. Is it a 24 volt starter or does it run parallel batteries? Its a civilian truck and not the 24 volt military type. It turns over by hand but seams hard to move--I dont know how much resistance a good motor should have?

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

It will be tough to turn over. But as long as there is no scraping sound (water in the cylinders causing a rust ring) you should be fine.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Coreyw454

Post by Coreyw454 »

I am pretty sure these came with parallel batteries.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Thanks for the info. Ill look into getting a new /rebuilt starter to see if this PIG will fly?

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Going to order a starter today. Is there a way yo force the glow plugs on? Im not sure that the ignition wiring is intact. If I have to Hot Wire this thing, what do I need to do?

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Should be a relay for the plugs. Pull the control wire off and apply 12v to the relay directly.

Prolly a solenoid valve on the pump that you'd have to apply power to also. If the wiring is suspect I'd remove the control wire from it also before hot wiring it.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I found the fuel filter assembly and the Glow Plug controller by down loading a Suburban PDF manual. However, I haven't found the fuel cut off wire or valve. I know on the Mercedes OM617s that they have a fuel cut off valve that drops out through a vacuum line on the ignition switch.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I found it on YouTube. Its the forward electrical connector on the pump. So, as my understanding increases-so does my confidence. A combination for disaster!:thumbsup:

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

I would also pull all the glow plugs and see their condition and replace them. Mushroomed plugs can be a pain to get started or replaced. Good luck, they are good engines.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Spent some time trying to start the Diesel. Still in the process of getting good fuel into the motor. The GP come on/cycle and the fuel solenoid is on. The starter got hot and stopped working--I'll let it rest and try again. If it ate the $200 starter the Cold Fire is done. I cant invest too much time and money in a motor that maybe BAD.
Last edited by rocklaurence on Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

The starter is still good. I cracked the injectors last night and Im going to add a battery in parralel to give it more capacity. I should have good fuel to it and know if it will fire tonight. :shock:

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

Did you ever check the compression?

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Yesterday was a lesson in patience! Wired up the dual batteries but it wouldn't turn over. Found that the solenoid wire broke off. I didnt have a 1/2 crip-on lug. So, had to rive to the store. Repaired the wire and got good Crankage and pushed fuel to the injector nuts. Locked down the nuts after priming the sytem and engine was on the verge of firing! Then the starter started grinding. Found that the starter twisted and hung-up the gear. Adjusted and while tightening the 3/8 fasteners , the threads in the block stripped [the first 1/2" didn't have any threads when I started]. Drilled out the holes and taped to 7/16", mounted the starter and ran out of time [10pm]!:mad: :eek: Going back tonight to continue "The Never Ending Story":cool:

Still wont fire. I'll check the fuel again but I noticed that there is blow-by coming out the oil fill tube. Im about to quit this Restart!!

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Yesterday was a lesson in patience! Wired up the dual batteries but it wouldn't turn over. Found that the solenoid wire broke off. I didnt have a 1/2 crip-on lug. So, had to rive to the store. Repaired the wire and got good Crankage and pushed fuel to the injector nuts. Locked down the nuts after priming the sytem and engine was on the verge of firing! Then the starter started grinding. Found that the starter twisted and hung-up the gear. Adjusted and while tightening the 3/8 fasteners , the threads in the block stripped [the first 1/2" didn't have any threads when I started]. Drilled out the holes and taped to 7/16", mounted the starter and ran out of time [10pm]!:mad: :eek: Going back tonight to continue "The Never Ending Story":cool:

Still wont fire. I'll check the fuel again but I noticed that there is blow-by coming out the oil fill tube. Im about to quit this Restart!!

Coreyw454

Post by Coreyw454 »

You need two good batteries to get that thing started