Rebuilt 360 won't fire up...

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
ColoWagon

Re: Rebuilt 360 won't fire up...

Post by ColoWagon »

Tatsadasayago wrote:If I was in your position, I would pull the engine and completely disassemble and check everything. I think you got some bad info and anything less is a roll of the dice. This would be a good time to invest in a digital dial caliper, feeler gauges and a dial-indicator. I kind of suspect many things went wrong with this rebuild. No offense toward you intended.
None at all taken! Where my head was already starting to move towards!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
- Brad

88 GW

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

I couldn't see doing anything but taking it apart and starting over. Pull it, clean everything, and check specs.the machining should be good still and all you're really looking at is labor and new gaskets. You'll be happy when it's done, issues removed, and you know it's G2G. Nothing worse than half assing something and every time you turn the key you wonder if something is gonna go kaplewy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

az chip

Post by az chip »

ColoWagon wrote:
Tatsadasayago wrote:If I was in your position, I would pull the engine and completely disassemble and check everything. I think you got some bad info and anything less is a roll of the dice. This would be a good time to invest in a digital dial caliper, feeler gauges and a dial-indicator. I kind of suspect many things went wrong with this rebuild. No offense toward you intended.
None at all taken! Where my head was already starting to move towards!

I have been reading a lot of engine build threads lately. I have never done one so take that into consideration with my next statement. If it were me, I would find a engine builder that 1. knows AMCs. 2. Knows the parts you are trying to use together and how they all can or should coexist. If that means different requirements of machine work on lifter bores or deck height or whatever. Parts places sell parts. That is their only job and desire. Getting it to work together after you buy it they don't care so much about. That smashed lifter screams not enough clearance, pushrods to long, and etc.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
ColoWagon

Post by ColoWagon »

Small update..pulled one head, pushrods are too long and one valve was bent. Valve was replaced...also replacing the rotating spring caps with normal non-rotating(everything out on forums recommends this). Off to camp for the weekend. Everyone stay safe out there!

- Brad

88 GW

az chip

Post by az chip »

ColoWagon wrote:Small update..pulled one head, pushrods are too long and one valve was bent. Valve was replaced...also replacing the rotating spring caps with normal non-rotating(everything out on forums recommends this). Off to camp for the weekend. Everyone stay safe out there!

Glad you are on the road to the fix.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
ColoWagon

Post by ColoWagon »

Advice on guideplates please.
I have '72 heads that are "slotted". Are guideplates needed as guides? I get binding between tge guides and tge slots on the head when trying. Thinking it through it would reason that the guideplates provide both guide and additional length for the pushrod as the plate is below the stud.
My thoughts are that the guide is not needed.
I bent pushrods when firing up...now known because I did not check for pushrod length. So delete guideplate and buy pushrods of correct length or is there benefit to having a longer pushrod? Cut guide but use the plate for added pushrod length? Been a long week and don't want to assume anything...pic of head attached.

Thanks
BradImage

- Brad

88 GW

Topic author
ColoWagon

Post by ColoWagon »

As opposed to the '88 heads round holes...Image

- Brad

88 GW

babywag

Post by babywag »

the rockers you have aren't self aligning, meaning you need to use guideplates.
if you're getting binding you'll need to find out why and resolve.
need to check everything...
there is a lot more to valvetrain setup than just slapping a bunch of parts together.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
ColoWagon

Post by ColoWagon »

Understood..maybe I will rephrase. When assembled and looking at the stud pairs that will not require modification the pushrods hit the guideplates/rub against. This seems like a great way to get metal grit into the engine. Trying not to slap stuff together but when things do not align I ask questions.

- Brad

88 GW

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

With those heads you shouldn't need guideplates. The slotted heads we're used prior to bridged rockers and aligned the pushrods to keep the rockers straight. My 304 uses slotted heads with magnum rockers from comp cams and no guide plates.
You do need to use the right diameter hardened pushrods though.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

babywag

Post by babywag »

I'm confused...
I saw this pic you posted earlier...and those are round pushrod holes? Which would require guideplates.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
ColoWagon

Post by ColoWagon »

babywag wrote:I'm confused...
I saw this pic you posted earlier...and those are round pushrod holes? Which would require guideplates.
The holes on these heads (I think there are 2?) are round but small. The others are more oval/slotted in shape. The round holes are way smaller then the round holes in the 88. Will confirm when I get home but I get where you are coming from.

- Brad

88 GW

babywag

Post by babywag »

Were all the bent pushrods you removed just from the "round" holes?
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

ColoWagon wrote:
REDONE wrote:
ColoWagon wrote:Question...are lifter bridges needed for stud rollers?Image

Do the push rods have slots in the head or big round holes? If you have big round holes you need guide plates on the pushrods for those rockers. That would definitely explain the bent rod!
Slots.

Just to be clear, the heads on the engine when it smashed up the rods had slots, right? Not big holes or tiny holes, but tight little slots that only let the pushrods wiggle in one direction, not any direction. I'm only asking again because there have been a lot of head pics in this thread, all but one (slotted) would have wrecked your pushrods without guideplates and it's getting confusing.
Grizzly Locker Rear

Topic author
ColoWagon

Post by ColoWagon »

Correct...the heads that were on had the slots. Pushrods were too long. I was error thinking that some were not slotted. The two middle holes are actually slotted at the bottom, so all openings are slots.Image

- Brad

88 GW

Topic author
ColoWagon

Post by ColoWagon »

The rods were bent on springs that had the rotor tops on them...also removing those as well.

- Brad

88 GW

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Thanks for clarifying! :-bd
Grizzly Locker Rear