Warn premium hub questions

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
az chip

Warn premium hub questions

Post by az chip »

I have searched a lot of places. Removing the full time slugs and installing Warn manual lock outs raises questions.

In the kit is a new snap ring. Figure it needs to be installed. Putting in the assembly it does not seat past the snap ring slot. Derf's J-10 page did not help. He said he left his snap ring out. Something is not right.

So I have to go in and pull out the spring cup?
Or do I?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: Warn premium hub questions

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Have you tried pushing the axle outward by pushing on the U joint? How much is it off by?

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Some of the stub shafts only have one snap ring slot and this seems to be most common on the full-time rigs. Leaving the small snap ring off will allow the shaft to move inward but shouldn't hurt anything as long as you keep the speeds down when running with the hubs locked. The axle shaft can't go very far as the differential cross pin stops it.
The outer snap ring is the critical part obviously.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

The outer snap ring is the one that will not go on if I go by the Warn instructions. Derf said he left his off.

'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Have you tried pushing the axle outward by pushing on the U joint? How much is it off by?

Moved out about a quarter inch. Will try again.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

If there is no large snap ring the only thing holding the outer hub shell (The chrome part) on is friction from the O-Ring. Might be a nasty surprise someday.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

az chip wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Have you tried pushing the axle outward by pushing on the U joint? How much is it off by?

Moved out about a quarter inch. Will try again.

Got it in. Thanks guys!

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

COOL!
Enjoy.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Got em in. They work fine. Image

tedlovesjeeps71

Awesome. So you had to just hold your tongue right while holding the widget and jiggling the doohickey!!

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Yeah. But they seem to not be locking now that both are installed. Hmmm....

will e

Post by will e »

Do you have an exploded view of the hub assembly?

And now I remember, the pictures contridict each other. The one with the slug points to the spring cup and says 'not used with hub assembly' but the hub assembly picture has the spring cup. I had left mine in when swapping from slugs to manuals and fought a clicking noise for years...
That's a chilton manual right?
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

I need to get a set of the WARN standard hubs for Mellow Yellow, not looking forward to messing with this. Hopefully you can get it figured out.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

From what I remember the spring cup was ditched when going to manual hubs. Why? I never got a clear answer.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Charles Kline wrote:I need to get a set of the WARN standard hubs for Mellow Yellow, not looking forward to messing with this. Hopefully you can get it figured out.
Nah, dude. It's a piece of cake. All you should really need to do is pop the dust cover (hubcap), pull the drive slug and spring, then install the hubs. The spring cup MIGHT interfere, since it adds space between the bearing and the lock nuts, which can keep the inner gear (That rides on the stub shaft) from dissengaging the dog gear when in the "open" position, but I've not had that problem myself. For a long time I though that the spring cup was there in all D44 and 10b fronts, like a washer to help distribute the force of the lock nut to the bearing. The Childrens Manual authors probably thought the same thing, which is why the schematic shows it in the lock-out exploded view, too.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

tedlovesjeeps71

Last set of hubs I bought was for my suburban. I went with MileMarker as their almost identical to Warn premiums but for less $$. I was told decades ago that MM bought the patent but can't confirm that. They work. Metal housing. No complaints.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

will e wrote:Do you have an exploded view of the hub assembly?

And now I remember, the pictures contridict each other. The one with the slug points to the spring cup and says 'not used with hub assembly' but the hub assembly picture has the spring cup. I had left mine in when swapping from slugs to manuals and fought a clicking noise for years...
That's a chilton manual right?
No. That is from the Jeep Maintenance manual.

BCRAWLER

Post by BCRAWLER »

I think you might have put one piece in backwards. Did the ball joints on my Chevy which has a d44 and I have possibly put the same piece in backwards. I think it is the aluminum piece that is held in place with the Phillips screw. The first time I reassembled I know I put it in correctly but think I reversed it the second time around. Will check in the morning to see if that is the issue. Have pictures on phone of assembly but cannot seem to upload them.
1980 Cherokee,360/727/208, propane powered,unknown lift,31' Adventuro's on Chevy rims,Warn winch
1980 J10,360/standard/208, stepside
1970 GMC 4X4 Pickup, 78 frame, 84 350, Turbo 350/205, patina galore
1986 Blazer K5, 350/205/465 trans
1990 Cherokee XJ, about to scrap for FSJ parts, gone to parts graveyard in sky

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

BCrawler,

Not sure which piece has a phillips screw. I have not seen one. I only pulled out what was in the instructions which was the slug gear and spring.

derf

Post by derf »

Take the cap off and try to push the middle ring in like this:

Pushing it in should "lock" the hub. Letting the spring push it back out should "unlock" the hub.

You may need to rotate the wheel slightly to get the splines to line up.

Oh, and I should go back and update that page. I just installed some hubs on another axle and was able to get the snap ring on by pushing the axle shaft out.