Dual battery info

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Joe4310

Dual battery info

Post by Joe4310 »

:banghead: Got a heads up from p.o that there might be a gremlin draining the battery. Finally started process to find it. Replaced regu and alternator, hate throwing parts but according to bleeping that was the place to start. Did this, did tha,t I disconnected rear battery , know it's dead,,after install as p.o, no charge, ran direct line from alternator to front battery and it appears I have charge. Checking and driving every night.Would like to get dual battery back up and working . Depending on schematic it's hooked up right or wrong? There is no phatom drain according to meter I just wasn't pulling a charge till I went directly to front battery. Only thing beating up on this thing since I got it....
01616_lRRLgshej0u_600x450.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

will e

Re: Dual battery info

Post by will e »

Your post is a little bit hard to follow. Also, I don't see a schematic in the attached picture, it is a picture of your Jeep (which I like).

What kind of meter did you use to check for a phantom drain?
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Are the batteries isolated from each other or are they tied together all the time?

Do you know if both batteries are actually good? If one is bad, and two are hooked together, the bad one will drain the good one when they aren't being charged.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

Topic author
Joe4310

Post by Joe4310 »

Drinking and posting don't mix..

The schematic I referred to was general Google for alternator hook up. Some show alternator to selinoid to battery, some show alternator to battery to selenoid. P.o had alternator to selinoid to battery.
I disconnected rear battery because I thought it might be my drain due to it being undercharged. I then replaced both alternator and selinoid and hooked alternator up as p.o had it. At that point no charge. I then installed a direct line from alternator to battery and I got charge. That being said my whole problem could have been that rear battery being undercharged. Multimeter set at 10a shows no draw. I believe the batteries are tied but not totally sure how to confirm whether tied or isolated. Just don't want to burn her to the ground because of something stupid i did. Pulling rear battery tonight for a good slow charge. Gonna head out and try to start it. Started strong last night, Runs so great once she's started.. Thanks for the thoughts.