Lifter question

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
ColoWagon

Lifter question

Post by ColoWagon »

Hey folks! I am installing Edelbrock lifters in my 360 (88 Grand Wag). The block is the original 88 bored over and cleaned up. The heads are from a stamped 72 and are not the original pedestal mount but use studs (new to me). I am using guideplates and Comp Cams Rocker Arms with the original rods (All of the googling led me to believe the originals would fit with no problems). Installing first set following the directions to not "pump up" the lifters prior to installing and bumping into a fitment issue. On the first cylinder there is play between the rocker arm "cup" and the rod. Is this normal because they are not "pumped up". Does this go away when I prime the engine prior to starting? Seems scary to leave them this loose. Thanks folks and happy Saturday!

Brad

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
- Brad

88 GW

Topic author
ColoWagon

Re: Lifter question

Post by ColoWagon »

Beginning to think the stock pedestals will not work.

- Brad

88 GW

Topic author
ColoWagon

Post by ColoWagon »

Confirmed...new studs arriving in about an hour

- Brad

88 GW

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

That is a common problem folks run into when using aftermarket rockers. Glad you got it sorted out. Those heads should be semi-closed chamber so your engine should be very strong.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Totally on board with tats, my 79 has an early 304 swapped in with stud rockers instead of bridged. Look closer, since you probably don't need guide plates. Your heads are most likely slotted to guide the pushrods instead of holes. If you use guide plates with slots you create the potential to bind the pushrods.

For what it's worth, you don't need to"pump up" the lifters to check valve lash, but at the same time, it's superfluous if you do, they'll bleed down faster than you can make an adjustment to them if you do.

Since you haven't finalized your build, take out a lifter and remove the snap ring, pull the cap and spring out and look at how it works. You can see how it takes a fraction of a second for the oil pressure to relief through the pushrod oil passage.

EDIT>>> since you're just in the other end of town, PM me if you'd like to get face to face, either my face on your engine or your face on one of mine. We're all more than happy to help a fellow fsjer out around here! :-bd
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
ColoWagon

Post by ColoWagon »

Thanks and much appreciated! I deleted the guideplates for the exact reason you stated. Really glad you said something though because I would have always wondered if that was a bad choice. I have been reading up on setting up for zero lash and working through tightening down everything. Going slow because I tend to get distracted by the "helpful" children in my life!
REDONE - thank you for the offer and may take you up on that!

Brad

- Brad

88 GW