Custom Heater Core

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Fugly78

Custom Heater Core

Post by Fugly78 »

I was perusing through the treads in the last couple of days and noticed that most of us use the same, stock heater core and boxes on our rigs. Since I started into this foray of messing with my engine components (and the royal pain it was with the bolts near the heater core) - has anyone swapped their heater core for something else a bit more custom? Vintage Air? Flex-A-Lite Mojave? Something completely different?

I had an old '52 Chev pickup that had a nice, self-contained unit under the dash once that I wish I still had. It kept the firewall pretty clean and had to fit under a much smaller dash than what is in my Chief.

Since we have so much unused space under our dashes, has anyone tackled this?
Josh Weathers
Gates, Oregon - Gateway to the Cascades

1978 Cherokee Chief (Widetrack) - Soon to have: 383w/TPI Intake/700R4/NP241C - Future Driver
1984 J10 - 360/TF727/NP208 - SOLD

lindel

Re: Custom Heater Core

Post by lindel »

If you have AC, that eats up any "unused" space, which is why the heater box is on the outside.
Lindel

whsii

Post by whsii »

I have been in contact with vintage air. A friend just purchased a system for a 69 Chevy short bed. It is fitting beautifully!

I e-mailed them for information on the J10, they referred me to their custom pages, where you have to roll your own.

There system is very nice, but there would be many many custom fittings / hoses you would have to make, from what I have seen.

The heater box and fan, and the inside air box would be eliminated with the system, but the plumbing would be major.

letank

Post by letank »

IIRC, superken on the other list had a vintage air.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

j10jim

Post by j10jim »

I think Zack from Z&M did it to a truck and knows what parts are needed. He posted it last year I think on the other list.
1980 J10/20
Rusty's 4" lift, 2" body lift, old Cliffhanger front bumper, 35" tires, 65 dash w Speedhut gauges.
Xtrusion Overland rack system, Tepui tent, 1/2 decked system.

LONG time member of ifsja.org, FSJ-List and some others...