HEI installed, carb questions

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
v8vendetta

HEI installed, carb questions

Post by v8vendetta »

So I just got my HEI system from CRT installed this weekend, it works awesome! Used to take 5 seconds turning over with the foot to the floor to fire it up, now it's turnkey-start. I still need to gap my plugs though.

The truck has a 401 in it with a Holley 1850-4 on top. It's leaky, but I do already have a rebuild kit for it. Is this carb worth keeping or should I look elsewhere?
1976 Jeep J-20
401 V8 w/ CRT HEI conversion
Blown TH-400
--------------------------------------
1989 Grand Wagoneer
360 V8

will e

Re: HEI installed, carb questions

Post by will e »

1850 is the holley 'universal' 4bbl carb. It's fine for your application. Do you do any offroading?
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
v8vendetta

Post by v8vendetta »

Not yet, but I do plan on it. Is there fuel issues with this carb offroad?
1976 Jeep J-20
Blown TH-400
1989 Grand Wagoneer
360 V8

will e

Post by will e »

In stock form it's not a great off road carb. THere are some tricks you can do to greatly improve it. Many of the tricks holley did for their 'Truck Avenger' can be done to the standard carb. Here's an article:

http://classicbroncos.com/tech/offroad- ... rrel-carbs

Here is a kit:
http://www.allcarbs.com/detail.php?pid= ... n=45&stt=5

I run the truck avenger and it works really well off road.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I highly recommend the off-road mods if your wheeling goes beyond logging roads or desert/mountain roads.
I tried out my brand new 4160 in the mountains busting snow drifts and running some steep trails with zero problems.
Later, I took the cherokee up to my Nevada property and did some serious steep and off-camber rock crawling and there were several times where the carb had flooding problems. I added a DYI bowl vent system using clear motorcycle fuel tubing and a plastic tee. the single vent line was zip-tied to the air cleaner stud and ended about 3/4" from the lid. I didn't need the spring loaded needles as the jeep would idle and run at the rollover point or standing on it's nose or rear bumper.

I believe the 1850 is a side-hung float design so you may not need the spring loaded needles. Some have good luck with them, but many find they are too problematic and switch back to the regular ones.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
v8vendetta

Post by v8vendetta »

Were you able to fit the tubing inside of the vent holes or did you put it around the outside? definitely seems like an easier process than bending your own copper
1976 Jeep J-20
Blown TH-400
1989 Grand Wagoneer
360 V8

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Glad the CRT HEI worked out for you well. It's a great kit.

The tubing needs to fit inside the vents. And has to be fuel rated of course.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

v8vendetta wrote:Were you able to fit the tubing inside of the vent holes or did you put it around the outside? definitely seems like an easier process than bending your own copper
I found the plastic tubing at a dirt bike shop. I think it was 1/4" OD. Yes, it goes to the inside of the vent horn. Mine hasn't given me any problems for 6 years so the friction holds the tubing in place nicely.
The offroad kit is around 38.00 at summitracing if you don't want to mess around with the shadetree methods.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation