The crossed fingers 360

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Re: The crossed fingers 360

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Tatsadasayago wrote:The cam bearing journals should be coated with assembly lube yes, but the black Moly break-in lube that comes with the cam should only be used on the lifter faces and cam lobes. The break-in lube is abrasive by design and it's purpose is to get the lobe and lifter surfaces to mate as quickly as possible.
Hmm... Mine didn't come with any lube at all? I know the performance engine instructor has lots of stuff, I'll see what he has.
Since it's highly likely this motor will get reassembled only partially, probably without gaskets and waiting on rings etc... Is there something better to put on the cam if it's going to be sitting in storage for a while?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

derf wrote:So I have a favor to ask when you're putting the engine back together. It's related to the flex plate issue I had with Novak and my 401 and I want a comparison measurement.

Once the crank is in, can you measure how far the flywheel/flex plate mounting surface on the back of the crank sticks out past the bellhousing mounting surface?
Will do!
Were you able to adjust the TV cable and get it running better??

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

derf wrote:So I have a favor to ask when you're putting the engine back together. It's related to the flex plate issue I had with Novak and my 401 and I want a comparison measurement.

Once the crank is in, can you measure how far the flywheel/flex plate mounting surface on the back of the crank sticks out past the bellhousing mounting surface?
Crap I forgot you needed that! I could have grabbed it last night. If I get back to the tow yard I'll measure Wyatt's 360 for you.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
Tatsadasayago wrote:The cam bearing journals should be coated with assembly lube yes, but the black Moly break-in lube that comes with the cam should only be used on the lifter faces and cam lobes. The break-in lube is abrasive by design and it's purpose is to get the lobe and lifter surfaces to mate as quickly as possible.
Hmm... Mine didn't come with any lube at all? I know the performance engine instructor has lots of stuff, I'll see what he has.
Since it's highly likely this motor will get reassembled only partially, probably without gaskets and waiting on rings etc... Is there something better to put on the cam if it's going to be sitting in storage for a while?

The summit 8600 comes with a small tube of break-in lube. Yours must have gotten lost or it wasn't added to the box. You can find the best stuff at summit:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-99000
The cam lobes are coated with a break-in compound and often a builder can get away with not using the special break-in lube. Using stuff like the Howard's lube specifically for the cam and lifters is just extra insurance.
Some builders use a heavy assembly lube like Powr-Punch or Motor Honey. If you go this route you can skip the cam break-in lube but be sure to put some more on at assembly time.

If the engine doesn't sit in storage for months, the assembly lube should stay put. Just be sure to bag the engine to keep dirt etc. out.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

az chip

Post by az chip »

derf,

I have a 401 fresh off the farm with the flywheel attached. want me to measure mine?
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

derf

Post by derf »

az chip wrote:derf,

I have a 401 fresh off the farm with the flywheel attached. want me to measure mine?
That would be perfect. I need the measurement from the mounting surface of the bellhousing to the mounting surface of the flex plate/flywheel so it would be best if you can take off the flywheel to measure it.

The distance between the two thin lines in my very crude drawing is what I'm looking for. Imagine that the thick lines are the back of the block and the crankshaft sticking out.

Last edited by derf on Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

derf

Post by derf »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:

Will do!
Were you able to adjust the TV cable and get it running better??

I didn't get back up there on Sunday. I'll probably make my way up there on my Friday off this week and do a bunch of stuff.

BTW, I have various kinds of assembly lube sitting in my garage. You're welcome to it since I'm not going to be building another engine for a long time.

az chip

Post by az chip »

derf wrote:

That would be perfect. I need the measurement from the mounting surface of the bellhousing to the mounting surface of the flex plate/flywheel so it would be best if you can take off the flywheel to measure it.
Will do and I will take a bunch of pictures for your thread. I am used to remote guiding engineers so I can do this.lol.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

derf wrote:

The distance between the two thin lines in my very crude drawing is what I'm looking for. Imagine that the thick lines are the back of the block and the crankshaft sticking out.

Didn't get far enough tonight to put the crank back in. Should be there tomorrow so I'll see if I can get a measurement for ya.

Tonight ended with poor results so I'm a little down. After the classroom portion we headed to the shop. Honing the cylinders only took a few minutes but wiping down the cylinders to get the slurry out took longer. While I was working on that the other students on my team(?) We're working on pulling the heads apart. Everything goes slow as the class is huge, tools are shared, and only one instructor unless we bother the performance guy who has his own class to teach.
I finally got it all cleaned and went to check the rings. All I can say is the rings (and/or the cylinders?) are beyond spec. Most are between 31 and 35 thousandths. That's about 10 thousandths too much. Image
So... With that in mind I guess I'll throw in the towel for now. We can put the motor back together enough to get credit for the class. I won't use any gaskets etc and won't even torque stuff down. Hopefully in the near future I'll have money and can do a full, correct rebuild. Have it bored 30 over, all new bearings, etc. For now though the money and time just isn't there.
Thank you everyone for the advice and support. This will be revisited. ImageImage

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Stuff happens bro. If setbacks didn't happen, getting something done well wouldn't be so sweet.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Tatsadasayago wrote:Stuff happens bro. If setbacks didn't happen, getting something done well wouldn't be so sweet.
Thanks man. I'll just be patient and keep plugging away, things will work out eventually. They always do.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

I'll keep my eyes open for a good set of .030 pistons cheap. Chit happens, but hey you're handling it the correct way instead of pressing on regardless. Some people (aka me) need to learn that lesson.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Nikkormat wrote:I'll keep my eyes open for a good set of .030 pistons cheap. Chit happens, but hey you're handling it the correct way instead of pressing on regardless. Some people (aka me) need to learn that lesson.
Haha... I just know me. If I tried to push it I'd wind up ruining the motor and would never be happy knowing it wasn't "right". Image

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

The crossed fingers 360

Got this... Hope it's clear enough to see??
ImageImage

For context, the big nut you see is the engine stand cradle. Let me know if you need a better pic. I can recheck tomorrow. After tomorrow I'm on vacation for a week so no access to the motor.

htfiremedic

Post by htfiremedic »

Did you get that email?

derf

Post by derf »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Got this... Hope it's clear enough to see??

For context, the big nut you see is the engine stand cradle. Let me know if you need a better pic. I can recheck tomorrow. After tomorrow I'm on vacation for a week so no access to the motor.
That should be good enough. Thanks. Remind me to buy you a beer next time. :-bd

Now I just need the same measurement for the 401 to see if it's different.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

htfiremedic wrote:Did you get that email?

I got the first one but can't find that site. Sent you a reply asking for more guidance. Image

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

derf wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Got this... Hope it's clear enough to see??

That should be good enough. Thanks. Remind me to buy you a beer next time. :-bd

Now I just need the same measurement for the 401 to see if it's different.
Cool, no worries. Glad it'll help.

htfiremedic

Post by htfiremedic »

Try it now

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Well... This semester is almost done. Since disassembly and reassembly are a big grade, crossed fingers is back together. Sorta.
Basically everything is assembled with lube and just hand tightened. Got the class credit and it'll go back into storage next week. One day I'll have money to build it....