Question on Bump stops

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
prospector

Question on Bump stops

Post by prospector »

Another newbie question guys: Stock '79 wag, but with 4" lift and 31s", talk to me about what I'll need for bump stops. Will the stock ones be okay as is? Or do I need different length, or extensions, or what?

Cheapthrills

Re: Question on Bump stops

Post by Cheapthrills »

I would say no unless your doing a lot of flexing... also depends on tire size too vs trimming, to limit tire rub (larger tires)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Why would you change your bumpstops just because of a lift?

They limit UPWARD movement. As long as your tires are not rubbing, I don't see a need to limit upward movement, regardless of lift.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

A lift commonly needs extended bump stops because of the longer shocks typically supplied with a lift kit.

Measure, measure, measure! The axle must be stopped by the bump stop, not the shock bottoming. Measure the collapsed length of the shock, and compare that to the distance between the pins minus the distance between the axle and the stop. If the shock is longer, you should extend the bump stop by that much.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
prospector

Post by prospector »

tgreese wrote:Measure the collapsed length of the shock, and compare that to the distance between the pins minus the distance between the axle and the stop. If the shock is longer, you should extend the bump stop by that much.
That makes perfect sense, I was thinking of the oversize tires, when I should have been thinking in terms of suspension travel.