OBA

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
prospector

OBA

Post by prospector »

Another newbie question, is there a way to use the a/c compressor as a general air compressor? I don't like a/c, and if I can't use it for OBA then I'm gonna pull the compressor out and scrap it. I wouldn't need it for anything more than airing up the tires. Any suggestions?

Jonnyworld

Re: OBA

Post by Jonnyworld »

Absolutely. Look up york on board air. These are oil bath compressors if you have the box style. Cut the hoses put on a filter and an output. Oh technically you should have a shop recycle the freon. For the environment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
82 wagoneer 360 4spd
with a well lubed driveway.
4 inch skyjacker lift

I can fix it or fix or I can fix it where no one else can."

will e

Post by will e »

They make great OBA pumps. There are a few more components you will want for example you need something to filter out the oil and a pressure shutoff switch. Like Jonnyworld said do a search on the internet. It's a pretty popular conversion. I think there is even a company that provides a 'kit' with all the parts you need.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I have york OBA on the honcho. It's even wired into the TBI so that it increases the engine idle speed when I turn it on.

I have twin Viair electric compressors on my LX450 and like them WAY WAY better. No need to have the engine running which is a big plus for me. I hate having to listen to the loud engine while filling up the tires. I dunno what model I have, but it's the one rated for 40" tires.

The point is that you may consider electric air compressors as they aren't that much more $$$ and can work just as good, if not better.

Jonnyworld

Post by Jonnyworld »

Blake wrote:I have york OBA on the honcho. It's even wired into the TBI so that it increases the engine idle speed when I turn it on.

I have twin Viair electric compressors on my LX450 and like them WAY WAY better. No need to have the engine running which is a big plus for me. I hate having to listen to the loud engine while filling up the tires. I dunno what model I have, but it's the one rated for 40" tires.

The point is that you may consider electric air compressors as they aren't that much more $$$ and can work just as good, if not better.
Sounds like he already has the compressor on his vehicle. So the electric would cost a lot more than the few components to convert the york. And the volume of air from a york can power air tools if you attach an air tank.

82 wagoneer 360 4spd
4 inch skyjacker lift

Topic author
prospector

Post by prospector »

So if I understand correctly, it needs to be a York compressor? And Yorks are boxy looking? But what if it's round like a GM unit? What then?

Jonnyworld

Post by Jonnyworld »

The round gm style will work. But it has to have an oiler in the line. Because they are designed to have oil in the freon. The york is an oil bath design. So it only needs a air filter on input.

82 wagoneer 360 4spd
4 inch skyjacker lift

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Hop on YouTube. Search for Sanderson OBA conversions. Both it and the york will function as air and since you have a working one, your money way ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCRAWLER

Post by BCRAWLER »

https://ck5.com/forums/search/16976890/ ... le_only]=1 . This is from another site I belong to. IIRC it helps if you can throttle up the engine when using compressor. The majority of the parts can be gotten cheap,under $20. If you have a metal recycle nearby. Every week when I go there there is a new used unit being recycled. Once the motor or pump goes south they get rid of them. Buy a complete unit as you can find. You will wind up with a tank, pressure gauge,pressure switch.and maybe air connector. Good luck. Opps, almost forgot, the york does still need an oiling system as the oil does enter the piston and eventually require a refill. Best to put a oil/water filter on your output for air. :fsj:
1980 Cherokee,360/727/208, propane powered,unknown lift,31' Adventuro's on Chevy rims,Warn winch
1980 J10,360/standard/208, stepside
1970 GMC 4X4 Pickup, 78 frame, 84 350, Turbo 350/205, patina galore
1986 Blazer K5, 350/205/465 trans
1990 Cherokee XJ, about to scrap for FSJ parts, gone to parts graveyard in sky

will e

Post by will e »

I am with Blake on this. I thought about converting my york but went with an electric.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

will e wrote:I am with Blake on this. I thought about converting my york but went with an electric.
I pitty the foo' without AC where you live! :shock:
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

tedlovesjeeps71

OBA

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

REDONE wrote:
will e wrote:I am with Blake on this. I thought about converting my york but went with an electric.
I pitty the foo' without AC where you live! :shock:
Why not both? Leave the factory york or Sanderson as AC and build a bracket to hold a second one for OBA? Not like there isn't plenty of room in a fsj engine bay. Image
I see most of the electric options as a light weight version which won't last very long. Unless you spend the crazy money on a dual cylinder ARB which may have a similar ability as a york but still requires electric power to run. Run it long enough and you'll still have to start the motor to recharge the battery. The York 210 has a pretty good output.

az chip

Post by az chip »

Why not both? Leave the factory york or Sanderson as AC and build a bracket to hold a second one for OBA? Not like there isn't plenty of room in a fsj engine bay
What? Are you crazy? Lol. Where?
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

I'm with Blake and Will e on this one...

I got the MV90 electric compressor and really like it... plus, only $131...

This guy tested air up on 37" tires - 12psi to 28psi - 1 minute 40 seconds.
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/jk-genera ... dness.html

Low Range Offroad sells them for $131.50. I think that's a great price for the performance of the compressor. (3.71 CFM)
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/superflo ... -mv90.html
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

will e

Post by will e »

I went with the twin ARB and compared to the jkowner test it was a bit slower than the mv90. I don't know what rim size the jkowner was running and, of course, accuracy in our measurements is going to create some variability. That MV-90 is BIG.

37" tire: I went from 11 to 22 in the first 60 seconds. In two minutes I was at 30 and at two and a half at 35. Obviously it takes longer for each PSI the higher the PSI of the tire. (Two tires from 11 to 35 took about 5 minutes 30 seconds including moving from one tire to the other). If I get a chance I will try a specific 12 to 28 psi test for a 'more accurate' comparison.

I also tried this using my shop compressor with a tank. Eleven gallon tank, 3.5HP and max pressure of 125. I let the tank fill before I started. Again 37" tires starting at 11psi. One tire filled to 30psi in about 78 seconds. The compressor kicked on at 90psi after about 20 seconds.

If you go with an electric compressor my suggestion is you 'hard mount it'. I had a pair of mv-50's in the bags and by the time I got the first one hooked up to my battery and on the first tire my buddy was already on his second tire. Then when you are all done you have to pack it all up and secure it, I would wait a minute or two for them to cool down. So a lot of the time was spent packing/unpacking.

will e

Post by will e »

Found this product video on superflow's web site:

http://www.superflowair.com/mv-90-air-compressor/

It shows an MV90 taking a 275-70-r18 (33.4 inch outside diameter tire) from 25 to 35 psi in just under a minute.

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Great test data, will e. For the record, you are right. That MV90 is a hoss. It's big and fairly heavy. Also, I would bet that your twin ARB will last a fair bit longer than the Superflow. But, it's cheap and it really does work pretty quick. I bought it because I air up to 45psi on the waggy tires. It keeps the psi climbing all the way versus my old MV50 which got slow after 27psi or so.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

I run both OBA with a York and AC (FS10). I have maybe $70 in my OBA system. Works just fine. Got my intake filter and housing from McMaster for I think six dollars. Beats the hell out of what Kilby sells. 50 feet of air hose for $30, homemade junction block. Rest of the money in brass fittings. No electric system can offer the same bang for the buck.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

York oba here too with a mishmash of fittings and gizmos from Grainger and home Depot and harbor freight. Write up on tc.wagoneer.org

But I really miss AC. :) I may go electric. I don't really want to mess with a 2nd compressor. As evidenced by my putting off tackling it for years :)

Maybe a scooter motor + York... ?

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!