Tires and wheels

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
prospector

Tires and wheels

Post by prospector »

Hi everyone, newbie here with a newly acquired '79 Wagoneer, stock as a rock except for a 4" lift. I ordered new wheels for it, 15x8s with 3.75" back spacing. Question is: what is the largest tire diameter and width I can get away with safely? This is just going to be a camp wagon, nothing special, but I'm hoping to e able to get some 32" x 10" tires under it, will this be possible? Thanks for answering a question you've probably answered 5000 times before.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Tires and wheels

Post by Stuka »

Most people go with 31x10.50's on 8" wide wheels with a 4" lift on a Waggy. There are people that run 33x10.50's with a minor amount of trimming in back, typically along the rocker on the front edge of the rear wheel well.

A 32x11.50 would have a larger chance of rubbing in back (due to width). I do not know of anybody that makes a 32x10.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
prospector

Post by prospector »

That's exactly the information I needed, many thanks. I'm going to leave this thing mostly stock but upgrade a few things to make it more reliable, safer, and easier on the wallet in the long run. My toughest job is going to be removing the woodgrain "crate" on the sides, that ought to be fun.

PUDS

Post by PUDS »

Woodgrain comes off easily with a heat gun and blade. Once you get it peeling a bit, slowly heat the decal and peel gently using the scraper or by hand, it's really a feel thing. I roginally started heating and scraping until I figured out you could get pieces the size of the door to come off as one with the right technique.

As for tires, I have a 4" lift with1" shackles and 32x11.5R15 BFG Mud Terrains and they fit fairly well. I haven't flexed it at all, but for street driving they're fine. They're on stock turbine alloys currently, but they will be going on a set of aftermarket wheels with about 3/4" difference in backspacing, bringing them out a bit more.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk