I am rebuilding my QT and I have questions

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
ScottsMojo

I am rebuilding my QT and I have questions

Post by ScottsMojo »

Yes, this means you Flint! :mrgreen:

Installing a MM PT kit and new chain in a donor case and I decided to go ahead and replace all the bearings and seals while I am in there. The MM instructions are good but don't cover rebuilding the entire unit, as would be expected. I don't want to crack this thing open for a long time. So, my questions are as follows, with photos for clarity.

Front half of case. Where does the seal go? No groove? Missing an oiling tube? TSM shows one to be there?

Back half. Ditto.

I pulled off the shifter fork access cover and removed the spring. There was no detent ball installed or spring... What size? Nominally smaller than the hole diameter?

Replacement bearing. Larger needle bearings, fewer needle bearings. Is this bearing ok to use?

New bearings have a hole. Is orientation critical? If yes, what position?

Front case half. Appears to be a double seal on the TC input shaft? I don't have this seal, part number?

Output yoke seal. Need this part number.

More to come I am sure as I progress through this case rebuild... :fsj:

jaber
Vendor

Re: I am rebuilding my QT and I have questions

Post by jaber »

Find one of his posts and click the link in his sig. ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

jaber wrote:Find one of his posts and click the link in his sig. ;)
I have, lots of great info but some of the questions I have are not covered in his posted info. Looking for advice from the Master... :-bd

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Wow, I have never seen a replacement bearing like that. The cage looks like plastic? I am skeptical. The hole is for oiling. It lines up with a hole in the case.

The missing ball bearing is easy to lose. It places pressure against the shift rod and helps hold it in desired mode. There are two detents in the rod, Normal Drive and E Drive. Without the ball bearing the rod can move when vacuum is low. There are two springs under that cover. You have both of those? It looks like the spring for the shift rod detents is still in there.

No groove for O-ring on case half: Sometime during the 78 model year, BW quit using the O-ring and just use sealant on that union. Never understood why.

If you get a seal kit it comes with the seals for output shafts and tranny input shaft. It has been a while since I cross referenced an individual seal.

Oiling Tube? No comprende...
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

Thanks for the response Flint. The bearing is much different as you can see. I don't know if the cage is plastic or not, it looked metal but I will verify this evening. The detent ball and spring were both missing - not lost during disassembly but not there, I knew to remove the cover carefully to keep them from ejecting. The retainer spring was in place.

The seals are in the kit, but the double seal for the trans output shaft was not. That is what I am hunting. I think through your links on your site I found the p/n's for the bearings, so I should be good there. My 74 TSM shows and references some sort of oiling tube between the TC and the low range unit, thats what I am curious about. This particular case had no such tube...