Turn Signal Issue And LED Swap

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
sloppyjoe

Turn Signal Issue And LED Swap

Post by sloppyjoe »

I am trying to switch over to LED lights in all sockets. I changed over the drivers side marker lights with no issue. Then on the front turn signal I ran into a problem. After changing to LED I lost blinking function on the entire drivers side. I have tried three different HD and other flashers with no luck. I re-wired the connection to the front drivers side turn signal and with the incandescent bulbs in I can get the side marker to blink, but not the actual front turn signal. If I switch the passenger side to LED I lose blinking function over there as well. At this point I would be happy with incandescent lights in the turn signals if the both blinked. Thoughts?
1976 Cherokee NT, 360, TH 400, Quadatrac

Topic author
sloppyjoe

Re: Turn Signal Issue And LED Swap

Post by sloppyjoe »

Pretty sure that my issue is in the socket for the turn signal bulb. I can wiggle the bulb just right and it will dim a bit then blink. If I let off from the wiggle spot it goes back to steady on. Now (5 minutes later) it won't blink without holding it with some pressure.

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Someone on one of the jeep sites (here??) used a round led for a motorcycle. Drilled a hole above the existing bulb holder. I'll see if I can find a link...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tedlovesjeeps71

Here is is. On a CJ but should be similar?

LED lights and turn signals

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

tedlovesjeeps71

ImageImageImageImageImage

Topic author
sloppyjoe

Post by sloppyjoe »

Not quite ready to go that far, yet. Haha. I have narrowed it down to the socket the turn signal bulb mounts in. The issue now is that I cannot get parking light and turn signal out of that socket. I can get one or the other depending on how I wire it from the headlight harness. Basically, if I wore it one way I get parking lights only, and then if I switch the wires, I get turn signal. But can't get both like the other light.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Remember that your stock flasher uses the current draw to heat up a bi-metallic strip and that in turn makes your light "blink". LEDs do not have the same current draw, and thus with a bi-metalic flasher, will not flash.

If you use an electronic flasher, you should be OK, as those are using a solid state circuit to make the light flash on and off.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
sloppyjoe

Post by sloppyjoe »

Yeah, I have tried a couple Novita brand flashers, I tried one that is a "loud" flasher, and one that even said LED on it. I ended up leaving the LED one in it.

J.Bradley

Post by J.Bradley »

Went through same problem on my LED conversion. You need a electronic flasher with a ground wire.

Electronic flasher
https://smile.amazon.com/CEC-Industries ... ed+flasher

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Note that J. Bradley says you need a plug-in flasher with a ground wire. This makes sense - the original flasher for incandescent bulbs uses a bimetal strip that heats up and breaks connection when the indicators are on. A LED uses much less current, so the flasher never heats up enough to cycle. For LEDs, the bimetal strip is replaced with an electronic circuit, and it can't just go inline - it needs a ground.

NB you have two flasher cans - one for the indicators and one for the emergency flashers.

If you can't go back to the incandescents and original flasher, then you have another problem in the circuit... likely corrosion in the grounds or contacts. If you can't get the bulb out, break it and grab the edge of the socket with needle nose pliers. Use your super-strength to turn and remove. Clean the socket and assemble with a little dielectric grease on the contacts and socket.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

https://www.delcity.net/store/LED-Load- ... fgodN-YE4w

at each socket add a 12v 50w 6ohm inline resistor, mimic's the load of incandescent bulb

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Well, not really "inline" per se. Actually the resistance is in parallel with the LED. This lowers the effective resistance and increases the circuit current, restoring proper function of the mechanical flasher.

JMO - an electronic flasher is a far better solution.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Your right Tim Thanks, I need to be more careful in my wording,I have encountered problems with cars equipped with a electronic flasher and LED brake lights not disengaging cruise controls or lock up torque converters when brakes applied, only solution was adding the resistor.

Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

Why do you want to switch everything to LED?

will e

Post by will e »

I am no expert but if you put the resistor in parallel with the led won't the current ignore the resistor and take the path of, well, least resistance?
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

No - the current is always proportional to the voltage potential and the intervening resistance. That's Ohm's law. This applies to both legs of the circuit, the LED and the bypass resistor. As long as there is no drop in the supply voltage, the current through the LED does not change. There is an additive current through the low resistance placed in parallel with the LED.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
sloppyjoe

Post by sloppyjoe »

I wanted to switch to LED because they are brighter, and have a longer life. Plus I like the new tech in the old Jeep. I ended up trying the grounded flasher, and still had no luck. I ended up getting everything except the front turn signals changed and functioning with LED. So I left the front turn signals as incandescent and all function is good.

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

I wound up using two LEDs per side on my truck. One for marker, and one for turn signal.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

merrill77

Post by merrill77 »

J.Bradley wrote:Went through same problem on my LED conversion. You need a electronic flasher with a ground wire.

Electronic flasher
https://smile.amazon.com/CEC-Industries ... ed+flasher
I just tried one of these in my '77 and the result is no blinking at all :( I clipped a wire onto the ground wire and touched it to all kinds of things, thinking it was a grounding problem, but still no luck. Putting the Napa 552 flasher back in restores the flashing operation.

I'm going to get on tech support with superbrightleds.com tomorrow and see what they recommend. I've upgraded all of my landscaping to LEDs with their help.
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

merrill77

Post by merrill77 »

I just fixed the problem by reversing the polarity on the flasher. Posted about it here for future reference.
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.