steering box input spline swap ?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
stumblinman

steering box input spline swap ?

Post by stumblinman »

I've been messing around with some steering box swaps lately and have run into the 3/4 vs. 11/16 input splines. I noticed they seem to be held on by pins. I searched and haven't found any info on it but is it possible to just punch them out and swap splines ? Seems to easy for some reason :)

Topic author
stumblinman

Re: steering box input spline swap ?

Post by stumblinman »

eerr 13/16 ;)

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I converted all mine over to 'xj style' ujoints rather than the rag joint. As part of that process, I ended up cutting my steering shaft and butt welding the XJ shaft onto there. Much better and tighter steering.

Billyj7175

Post by Billyj7175 »

You can grind the heads off of the "posts"with a flap disc, remove the pins and bolt the other spline flange together. However, it will require a shelved bolt (or a spacer) to prevent over tightening. Best thing IMO would be to pickup a new coupler kit. They're cheap and will have the proper bolts I'm talking about.

Lesson learned almost the hard way; an air hammer works wonders driving out those pins. However...use caution because if you apply a liberal amount of force, it will shoot that sucker across the shop, ricochet off the wall, again off the garage door and narrowly miss the Harley parked in the corner.

I took it a little slower on the second pin...

The XJ mod looks like the better and cleaner way to go...

Topic author
stumblinman

Post by stumblinman »

I understand I think we may be talking about different things. Here's a blurry pic of the input splines. There's a pin through it that maybe holding it together ? The center shafts look the same just thicker/thinner splines pinned to it. It would seem in theory you could drive the pin out and swap on the correct spline count. It would save some time if I didn't have to find different joints.
steering.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Yeah, I dunno. I've never heard of swapping the input splines, but who knows, maybe it's possible...

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Curious to see how this plays out... ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
stumblinman

Post by stumblinman »

OK that was a bust. It looks like the splines are just a small part but it's part of the whole stub shaft. Maybe shafts could be swapped but it seems like a lot more work than just getting a coupler.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

That pin controls the "flex" pin inside the reed valves that control the amount of pressure applied when you turn the wheel. The harder the wheel is to turn, the more it psuhes in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlpvyWAA8a0
Check my parts for sale near Seattle