axle in problems galore

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
miltos68wgoneer

axle in problems galore

Post by miltos68wgoneer »

Axle in and looks good, just a little wider with lug pattern adapters than I would like. It took most of the morning and an afternoon beer sacrifice to get to the point of pinion angle set-up. My ghetto early wag shackle flip, flipped on me while taking her off the stands. This is most disconcerting.Shock mount placement, track bar mount placement are next. But, the proverbial but, which seems to come into play whenever I try and accomplish anything on this vehicle is that the drive shaft will hit the coffin tank. My fears have come to fruition in that the ford 8.8 offset is not enough. Fuel tank options anyone? A narrower coffin-esk tank would be great in order to retain the under side tire mounting placement. If that tank is made of unobtainium then would a GW rear tank fit?Is there a larger fuel cell I can swap in the rear? I could just keep the tire up on the roof rack I don't own. As far as caster, from my other tread, I have everything but wanted to get drive shaft ordered so that I might be able to drive her on my 600 mile camping adventure on the 23rd. I am seriously disappointed in missing the Pacific FSJ meet-up. :fsj: So I hope.
68 WAGONEER / 5.3l, DIY ported heads, long tube headers, lingenfelter cam, griffin rad, trans cooler, E fan /4l70e, front discs,2003 grand cherokee seats front and rear, super wagoneer center console,hydroboost.
53 CHEVY 210 stock

http://s64.photobucket.com/user/miltos6 ... t=3&page=1

lkmarsh

Re: axle in problems galore

Post by lkmarsh »

Lots of rear tank install threads, suburban tanks up to 42(?) gallons, bronco tanks, rear tank would cure the slow filling problem. Still kicking it around for my 69, dual exhaust becomes simpler with the coffin gone. I like the idea of mounting the spare inside. What rims are you running to need adapters? From what I've seen six lug rims are more plentiful than the old five lug pattern. Your Wag looks a lot cleaner underneath than mine. Went to the swap at Sleep Train Arena Saturday, not a lot of 4x4 parts, didn't do as well as last year.
Lyle
69 1414x Buick350/Th400/D20
PDB, HEI, relays, rallyes, rhino, rust...
73 Wagoneer parts donor

Topic author
miltos68wgoneer

great to hear from you. I am running the stock 5 on 5.5. Ford 8.8 is 5 on 4.5, so with spacers and adapters I am pushing wide track. I am running wagon wheels as per your advice. They look nice and accommodate stock hubcaps. I will look into treads on rear tank swap. Junkyard tank would be great. I haven't seen any wagoneers at picknpull in months. I search daily looking for front swaybar and other goodies. I have had the worst luck searching FSJN for info though, My most common findings in search=ignored too common words!!!!
68 WAGONEER / 5.3l, DIY ported heads, long tube headers, lingenfelter cam, griffin rad, trans cooler, E fan /4l70e, front discs,2003 grand cherokee seats front and rear, super wagoneer center console,hydroboost.
53 CHEVY 210 stock

lkmarsh

Post by lkmarsh »

IFSJA is the older site, best to search through google by adding "site:ifsja.org" to your term list. Got a sway bar setup from Ken earlier this year, the bar wouldn't mount up, frame too wide, later year Waggies had much longer frame gussets, had to weld up pads to make it work. You could redrill the axle flanges for the 5.5 pattern. Too many honeydo's lately, jeep has been neglected, still have to arrange for roofing, All Things In Time, I guess.
Lyle
69 1414x Buick350/Th400/D20
PDB, HEI, relays, rallyes, rhino, rust...
73 Wagoneer parts donor

Topic author
miltos68wgoneer

can you send me a photo or post a photo of the gussets.
53 CHEVY 210 stock

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Early 90's Suburban model tanks will fit there for a Large capacity set up. I bought a set of Chrome Molly axles fro Yukon for a Cj Project & put them in an 8.8 may be they have them for the larger axles.
Last edited by serehill on Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

Topic author
miltos68wgoneer

early 90's what? Suburban? I am having the worst time with shock placement. I was hoping to go off of the round crossmember which may limit tank size in the spare tire area.

53 CHEVY 210 stock

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Shock tipped the wrong way? Did you account for the extra stress of the spacers and wheel offset on bearing pivot point and the leveraged shear load? I made that mistake with a Model 21 and sheared the axle shaft off when I landed off a small drop..
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
miltos68wgoneer

no I did not. maybe I'll just re-drill rotors. That's how the shock was before. Any suggestions?
53 CHEVY 210 stock

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

miltos68wgoneer wrote:early 90's what? Suburban? I am having the worst time with shock placement. I was hoping to go off of the round crossmember which may limit tank size in the spare tire area.
I believe he is referring to the later poly tank. It's narrower and a bit longer than the earlier ones and ends well before the rear axle.
Jeep went to the narrower tank in 79 or so and it came in handy when they decided to use AMC Model 20 axles with the centered carrier.

BJs has them and my brother replaced one is his 79 Chief. As good or better than factory and bolted in with minimal hassles.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
miltos68wgoneer

Thanks tatsadasayago
53 CHEVY 210 stock

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

I corrected my thread in a hurry. NO jeep Tanks!!! A suburban tank. Lots of folks have done the suburban tank. Those shocks will work like that. If the mounts are set up correctly Mine from the factory have that much angle.

You don't have to run an internal fuel pump or electric for that matter.

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=120717

Lots of info on this one simply Google suburban gas tank on a wagoner you'll get an earful.

LOL I believe you're beyond easy peezy.

WIP

MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch

Topic author
miltos68wgoneer

I believe he is referring to the later poly tank. It's narrower and a bit longer than the earlier ones and ends well before the rear axle.
Jeep went to the narrower tank in 79 or so and it came in handy when they decided to use AMC Model 20 axles with the centered carrier.
so a latter model wag tank should give me the driveline Clarence I need? And still have a place to stuff my spare :-bd
53 CHEVY 210 stock

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

If you can find a 84-86 era or later Wagon, you should be good to go. The difference in width is very noticeable!
I just checked BJs offroad and they are no longer selling the late model tanks and instead have the 70-79 versions.
Go figure?
One bonus in your situation is your existing tank, if in good shape is a desired part and you should be able to sell it easy enough.
Around here all the pick n pulls punch holes in the tanks so a good one is a rare thing.

If you are running EFI, the Suburban tank might be a better idea if you are running an in-tank fuel pump.

Topic author
miltos68wgoneer

Yes picknpull punctures their tanks.I called bjs this morning and they told me no one makes that tank anymore. Ill try the local jeep wreckers
Just found one in the bay area I just have to find the time to drive and pick it up.out of an 85 with the amc20 so should be good to go. Will I need the filler neck and such?
53 CHEVY 210 stock

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

HMM interesting. I know a guy that has a brand new one with sending unit. I'm sure he would sell it. Shipping may be an issue. The down side of these tanks I can tell you from experience is they are tiny. You do not have to run a internal electric fuel pump with the suburban tank modification is simple to run a mechanical instead. Simply pull the pump run some fuel line long enough to reach the bottom of the tank & put a filter on the outside instead of the sock. it works better than the sock when you have trouble. the guy that owns that tank & it is new is me. Never been completely unwrapped or used.

WIP

MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch

Topic author
miltos68wgoneer

How many gallons are they. 21?
53 CHEVY 210 stock

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

miltos68wgoneer wrote:Yes picknpull punctures their tanks.I called bjs this morning and they told me no one makes that tank anymore. Ill try the local jeep wreckers
Just found one in the bay area I just have to find the time to drive and pick it up.out of an 85 with the amc20 so should be good to go. Will I need the filler neck and such?

The 85 tank has a smaller inlet nipple and is much shorter than yours. If you can, grab the neck, hoses and intermediate pipe!!!!

The filler neck pipes are different but lucky for you I have one to give you for free if you need it.

The issue you will have is getting fuel from the filler to the tank. I think the filler is 1" hose and vent is 3/4" or possible 5/8"
I've seen the filler hose run from the filler neck to the tank with and without the metal intermediate pipe...so that may present a problem getting sorted out.

Let me know if you want the filler neck.

Topic author
miltos68wgoneer

Yes please. And thank you
53 CHEVY 210 stock

Topic author
miltos68wgoneer

So serehill was kind enough to send me measurements of his tank for sale. The problem is they are the same dimensions as my 1968 tank. Any thoughts before I piss the misses off by rendering spare tire area useless for anything other than fuel? A roof mounted tire is not preferred.
53 CHEVY 210 stock