Electric fans?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

racerx12003r1

Re: Electric fans?

Post by racerx12003r1 »

OK. That sounds logical to me Fleg. I was just trying to weigh out all my options. You make a really good point about the amperage. I was also kind of worried about the heat build up from that wound resister. I know the resisters for a blower fan in the dash can get extremely hot.
Daniel

1980 J10 Thunderbolt Grease slapper (formerly Beast II)

hutcho

Post by hutcho »

Hey fleg do you have a wiring diagram on how you did the relay mod?

cmaje72

Post by cmaje72 »

Just to add some more fuel to this fire. If you look under the hood of some ford rear drive sedans with a V8 and electric fan you will find on the passenger side fender a relay box. Inside it has a 40amp and 70amp relay. This is another nice setup and a little easier to find than the volvo stuff in a pick and pull.
I use the 40amp relay to run the low speed and the 70 amp relay to run the high speed. Its important that you wire it so that the low and high speed relays are not both energized at the same time. This tends to burn out taurus ( don't know about the contour fans)fans. I use a temp sensor to run the low speed fan and a switch on the dash for high speed/cut off. I have never actually had to run the taurus fan on high speed in my CJ.

Here is a link to a bunch of temp sensors from Wells. You can take the part numbers over to the rockauto site and look them up to find the application and then go from there.
http://www.wellsve.com/showall_ds_fans.php
79 Cherokee 5.3/4l65E/NP241C
79 CJ7

Topic author
Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

Finally getting back to this project myself. Dad and I found a local pick-n-pull that had a Mystique and grabbed the fan. I've got the fan mounted to the radiator, when I get a chance I'll throw up some pics.

Because my time lately is so limited I opted to go for the Flex-a-lite controller mentioned on the first page, along with the optional temp probe and a threaded inline adapter, rather than piece together the Volvo/BMW setup. I'm going strictly for reliability; I need the truck to work well, so a little added expense right now is worth it to me. So far all I've had time to do is mount the fan to the radiator, I hope to get everything put back in by this weekend, but we'll see.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

cmaje72

Post by cmaje72 »

If you want reliability I wouldn't go with any of those expensive variable fan controllers. I have personally had to bypass 3 of them on trail rides for people when they failed (I carry spare relays and wire). I don't have any experience with the flex a lite one but right in the amazon reviews is a guy saying they burned out 3 of them in 2 years.
79 Cherokee 5.3/4l65E/NP241C
79 CJ7

Topic author
Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

Sure, there's a bunch of people saying they love them as well, however. I tend to take reviews with a grain of salt; most of the complaining reviews I read looked suspiciously like inexperienced installers to me.

Not saying it's going to be flawless, I will certainly have a bypass available if it does fail, but I've seen enough people have success with it (some around here and/or the mothership) to give it a go. It really isn't much more than buying new Volvo/BMW parts; and I would go new, I would have a really hard time trusting 20+ year old junkyard electronics for reliability.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Topic author
Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

Got everything bolted in and wired up tonight (bit of a hurried job, unfortunately). No time for pics as it was dark, but I'll try to snap a few tomorrow. So far everything seems good, I do need to adjust when it comes on but at least it DOES come on.

Test ride to the gas station was a success, tomorrow will be a better test.

aa

COLORADOCRAWLER

Post by COLORADOCRAWLER »

While you guys are poking around in the Volvos looking for a fan controller, take a look at the fan.
This is out of a 2000 Volvo 850. You might recognize the large fan motor as the same one used in mid 90's Ford Taurus and TBIRDS. The nice thing about this fan is that it doesn't have a shroud so you can build whatever you want or attach it to your existing shroud easily.
-Rick
87' GW 5.3/4l60E/NP241C, Dakota Digital dash, high steer, 31's, still needs a bigfoot gas pedal to tie it all together.
90' YJ 3 link coils front, 4 link double triangulated coils rear, D44s, ARBs, 4.56, 35's

racerx12003r1

Post by racerx12003r1 »

Nice find there. I used the fans from a Ford Contour. They fit a ^ cylinder radiator perfectly. All I had to do was trim the mounts off and make new tabs out of some sheet metal.
Daniel

1980 J10 Thunderbolt Grease slapper (formerly Beast II)

JeepsAndGuns

Post by JeepsAndGuns »

If I had known about the contour fans when I did my E-fan, I probably would have used one. They look like a really nice fit. I am using a WJ electric fan. I measured it and it only pulls around 22 amps, so I am running a regular waterproof 30A bosch style relay with zero issues. I am using my fuel injection ECM to trigger the relay. I can simply program in on/off temps. It pulls good and has no issue cooling my 401 in the hot and humid alabama summer.
To respond to a older post about the contour fans and using both fans with a high and a low, Vs using 1 fan as low and both fans as high. The way I look at it, with only 1 fan going, your only cooling 1/2 of the radiator. I myself would rather run both fans on a low setting, and then both on a high setting, and cool the whole radiator.
79 Cherokee Cheif. MPFI 401, T18/D20, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
93 YJ. 4.0, 5 Speed, SYE, hydroboost, WJ knuckles/brakes, 8.8 rear, OME 2.5in lift, warn M10000 winch. 31x10.50's
99 WJ limited. 4.0, auto, 2wd, stock.

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

I also run Contour fans with a homemade controller. They just don't move enough air. Sitting at traffic lights with the AC on is no problem. Pulling my trailer up passes is to much for them. The engine over heats fast, and I just have a 5.0L Ford. Looking at replacing with better fans. No offense, but Bama just doesn't have any hills.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

serehill wrote:Interesting thread no doubt. I've thought about this a million times just never done it on the Honcho. Please follow up on results Cecil14. I actually have the Taurus fan assy.
I didn't us eit on the Cherokee I thought it was too small.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

serehill wrote:
serehill wrote:Interesting thread no doubt. I've thought about this a million times just never done it on the Honcho. Please follow up on results Cecil14. I actually have the Taurus fan assy.
I didn't use it on the Cherokee I thought it was too small.

WIP

MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Fleg wrote:This is the dual fan relay that came from the volvo.

This is really cool.

Be aware though even though you somewhat reduce parasitic drag. When the fan is not running. You in no way eliminate it you just move it from the fan to the alternator.

WIP

MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

serehill wrote:
I didn't use it on the Cherokee because it was to small. it was too small.

WIP

MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

A simple 30A relay is all that is required. Fans don't really pull that much current, unless they are bad.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

serehill wrote:
I didn't use it on the Cherokee I thought it was too small.
thinking of trying my on my 4.2

WIP

MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch

Topic author
Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

I've been very happy with the contour fan setup on my stroker. No heat issues here, even when towing. Keep in mind I do not have A/C nor do I have a trans cooler.

aa

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

k

WIP

MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Cecil14 wrote:Yah I understand the basic relay concept, absolutely mandatory in this case. Even if you did find a switch strong enough to handle the load you do NOT want that much current coming all the way into the cab then back out to the fans, absolutely crazy. My early plan was to simply use standard bosch style relays (the cherokee PDC has nicely setup relay slots) to control everything. From the sounds of it the Volvo relay really just does the same thing, a sort of 2-in-1 combo relay? Sounds more like the temp probe is the real key to the setup.

Looks like the BWM probe you're using (61311378073) has set points of 195*F and 210*F. It also looks like they have another probe (61318361787) with set points of 176*F and 190*F. This site has details on both probes and the connector specs/sources.

Next question I have is where to mount the probe? Most of the computer temp sensors I see (thermostats, as well) are in or very near the head. I believe the idea here is to give the most accurate representation of internal engine temps (the temps that actually matter). Is there a benefit to running the probe in the radiator or hose? I suppose if you put it inline in the upper hose that would see essentially the same temp as the thermostat anyway....

aa
You're correct there's nothing magic about the Volvo system. When looking for Bosh "Style" get the best. Also find at least the 50 amp or 60 bosch. they are better. There's some really crappy ones out there. What's as important is the modular plugs there's a huge difference. Idividual flag terminals are a pain.
The best
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEMCo-12-V-60-7 ... 58ba5c1755

Set:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEMCo-12-V-60-8 ... 58c99b76be

Absolutely no doubt there is cheaper.
Last edited by serehill on Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WIP

MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch