Spongy pedal after axle swap

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Spongy pedal after axle swap

Post by Stuka »

j20brett wrote:Ha! Hey the brakes work and i can lock them up no problem, it just takes full pedal travel to get there. Im pretty sure a larger master will solve the issue. I locked up the 42's while being pulled by my wife in my other truck. So i wont run over you...more than once anyways :D
If you have a ford 60 with the dual piston calipers, they do require more fluid to work. So a larger master would make sense, provided the plunger pushes more fluid.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Stuka wrote:
j20brett wrote:Ha! Hey the brakes work and i can lock them up no problem, it just takes full pedal travel to get there. Im pretty sure a larger master will solve the issue. I locked up the 42's while being pulled by my wife in my other truck. So i wont run over you...more than once anyways :D
If you have a ford 60 with the dual piston calipers, they do require more fluid to work. So a larger master would make sense, provided the plunger pushes more fluid.

NO doubt & it will wreak havoc with a disk drum PPV.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

Topic author
j20brett

Post by j20brett »

Stuka wrote:
Does anyone have a cross reference for a master cylinder with a larger bore that will bolt up to a mid 80's booster? I have a 1 5/16" master but its going to take some work to make it work.
"Kaiser" - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Topic author
j20brett

Post by j20brett »

Well, after a bit of searching a finding a cardone master cylinder guide, i think i have found the part i need. Its 13-2739 if anyone ever needs it. 1 1/4" bore, 1/2" primary and 9/16" secondary prots (same as all FSJ's) and $49 from rockauto. Link to master cylinder list below. I should know in a week or so if it bolts up properly.

http://www.pageturnpro.com/CARDONE-Indu ... ex.html#/1
"Kaiser" - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ