Speedbox for LS swap

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
81waggy

Speedbox for LS swap

Post by 81waggy »

I'm getting ready to do something with my gauges and looking to see if anyone has any opinion on using something like speedbox and kept their factory gauge cluster.

https://www.speedhut.com/Speedbox.html

I've heard some guys talk about needle bounce in the original cluster, but didn't know if you still get that in the swap.

The other option is this:
gauge cluster.jpg
and I would still need to run new turn signals and high beam indicator.

Speedhut is a lot cheaper and keeps my original gauges, although I'll still need the adapters for the temp/oil/and the ammeter/voltmeter swap.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
81 Wagoneer with a TBI 350 Vortec.
83 Wagoneer - 360 Quadratrac
69 Wagoneer - 350 Diesel trail rig
70 Wagoneer - 1414x

aaronsjeep

Re: Speedbox for LS swap

Post by aaronsjeep »

Hey 81 Waggy,

I have been looking into similar options, for an LS sway Waggy I have. This one is a 5.3 with NP 241c which is great for the VSS, but leaves me to figure out how to power the speedo.

I am leaning toward keeping the factory speedo, Speedbox and Cable X are two of the options I am eyeing. Another is having a Speedometer shop convert my factory speedo to be run by the VSS signal.

A friend gave me this link with a lot of great info that may help: http://newvintageusallc.mybigcommerce.c ... ramax-etc/

Let me know what you decide,and I will do the same.
Save the Waggys
1987 GW 5.3, NP241c
1988 GW 5.3 NP229
1980 Chief ???

sonoraed
Vendor

Re: Speedbox for LS swap

Post by sonoraed »

be advised New Vintage tech support is crap, just installed new a set in a 71 El Camino SS fuel guage went to full with 1/2 tank ended up being a bad connector in oem wiring, which in retrospect should have been a no brainer for a guy at a company that builds guages, good lesson for me, I'm in the middle of the fuel guage problem with my 79 J10 5.3 LM7, 700R4, D20, 99 burb fuel tank, 86 dash panel problem!