Warn 8271 what do I need?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
ShagWagon

Warn 8271 what do I need?

Post by ShagWagon »

My friend has a warn 8271 winch.

What would I need to do or kind of bumper or mod do I need to do to use this?

I have a killer32 tube bumper but it doesn't seem to be the right one.

Last edited by ShagWagon on Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

bigun

Re: Warn 8271 what do I need?

Post by bigun »

You need to send it to me so I can give it a good home, oh and you need to pay the shipping cost too! Thank you a head of time!!
Okay I'll play nice and do a search for you
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-non ... -help.html

troopthrowback

Post by troopthrowback »

8274?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigun

Post by bigun »

troopthrowback wrote:8274?

LOL All I saw was Warn 82 and assumed 8274 never heard of a 71. I'll have to ask my cousin he has worked for Warn for 30 years he should know! :-bd

troopthrowback

Post by troopthrowback »

bigun wrote:
troopthrowback wrote:8274?

LOL All I saw was Warn 82 and assumed 8274 never heard of a 71. I'll have to ask my cousin he has worked for Warn for 30 years he should know! :-bd

Hold on there, if he works there he's a guy to keep in touch with for sure!

I know a lot of guys upgrade the solenoids. I don't have mine mounted or running yet (and just picked up an earlier version Warn too) but am following in order to learn myself.

bigun

Post by bigun »

For those who don't know Warn has been broken into several companies and the offroad division sold. Cousin now works for the OEM division where they build and test equipment that comes from the factory. Having said that Yes he is someone to keep in touch with.

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Yeah it's 8274. Sorry about that. Tells you how much I know about warn winches and bumpers
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

IMHO, the 8274 is the best winch ever developed. Bigger, longer cable compared to most other winches. Fast line speed. Very reliable. Likely underrated at 8k lbs.
If there is a downside it is finding a way to fit it in as most vehicles tight grille areas.
I can't say that dozer bumper does much for me.
You could mount a front receiver hitch and make it work with the correct 8274 mount.

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Like a trailer hitch for the front?

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

ShagWagon wrote:Like a trailer hitch for the front?
Yeah. The winch sits in a cradle and the electrical uses Anderson connectors. Added benefit is you could move it front to rear as needed.
Here's a couple bad pics...
ImageImage

And should you win the lottery and want to "hotrod" your 8274, there's this beast.
http://www.red-winches.com/

troopthrowback

Post by troopthrowback »

Yup. Main drawback is weight. It's a heavy one, considering the 150' of cable it can hold. So the receiver hitch idea is great as long as you don't move that beast! Since it's a front mount type you also need a bumper that is designed for that. But hands down a great machine.

will e

Post by will e »

I did the trailer cradel for a bit with my warn. It's hard to move when you are stuck. Normally you are stuck on a obsticle or in the mud or water. Finally hard mounted it to the front.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

bigun

Post by bigun »

One of these days we're going to mount one low behind the cab on Crom. Then run the line to a shiv to the back bumper then though pipe to the front bumper. Why you ask,
1. By running it through a shiv you double the pulling power.
2. one winch can pull both forward and back.
3. Add a set of Gin poles to the back and now you can pick heavy stuff up.
4. It will say cleaner in the the middle of the truck.

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

So would you just throw it in the back of you plan to do some wheelin, and lock it into your trailer hitch hole if needed in the front or back? Is that how it works? Sounds good but not if it's way too heavy. I haven't seen it yet but my buddy has one.

Can a hitch be installed without removing the front stock bumper and ferring?

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:IMHO, the 8274 is the best winch ever developed. Bigger, longer cable compared to most other winches. Fast line speed. Very reliable. Likely underrated at 8k lbs.
If there is a downside it is finding a way to fit it in as most vehicles tight grille areas.
I can't say that dozer bumper does much for me.
You could mount a front receiver hitch and make it work with the correct 8274 mount.

Yeah I thought I'd like that killer 32 setup. But when I installed it I wasn't sure it looked good and everyone around me hated it so I took it off. Left the back tube bumper though. It looks great!

Maybe I should just go a different route with the winch setup totally?

I'd like to use the best and I'm getting a good deal on the 8274 but I'm open to any good suggestions.

Thanks guys. Already got my head spinning what to do.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Mounting an 8274 would be a pain on that killer32 bumper I think.

And personally I would skip the hitch mount. Not only does the noise get annoying (Because there is some play that makes it bounce around on bumps) but it’s too heavy to move without somebody else.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

MJMadness

Post by MJMadness »

Stuka wrote: And personally I would skip the hitch mount. Not only does the noise get annoying (Because there is some play that makes it bounce around on bumps) but it’s too heavy to move without somebody else.
To add to that try dragging it through mud or snow to get it on. It makes something that is otherwise fairly easy for two people a lot harder. On flat solid ground a single guy can pick up and install it by himself, but it's a grunt and a half.

If I put it in a cradle for a hitch mount I would run synthetic line, just to save my back...

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Yeah I just picked it up. Heavy sob.

It works but only one way and it looks kinda shabby. Might have to find some parts for it and a new handheld.

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »