'84 Ugly Truck getting a Brow top and custom dash!

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

'84 Ugly Truck getting a Brow top and custom dash!

Post by rocklaurence »

Hey guys, I almost forgot to post up this project. The shop [Ugly] truck was rust free with the exception of the top. So, after driving it for 3 years with fiberglass and tape holding it together. I'm replacing the top with a good '76 with a brow. The custom dash wont have a pad, will have a gauge panel instead of the ash tray and clock. The speakers and stereo are marine type [3 pod]. I have two 3" speakers in the dash and two 6" behind the seats. The original speaker hole and pad mount holes will be filled in.
Last edited by rocklaurence on Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

SJTD

Re: '84 Ugly Truck getting a Brow top and custom dash!

Post by SJTD »

Idunno. Works for me.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I wonder if its my account? As soon as I open an Album it selects all the pictures in the album [really slows down the computer] and I can see the link codes but can't select.
The picture above is before the replacement starts.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

I was just on Photobucket tonight. After it selected all the pics in my one and only album, I was able to just select the one I wanted. I was then able to copy the link code as usual. I only have about 50 pics in this one album I have but I thought about dividing them up into smaller albums. I wonder if that'd be faster to load when opening Photobucket. Of course I could go on a help forum for Photobucket but...I think I'm done for the night!
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I just went to that link and the share options were there. I've had that problem with the grayed out links. Seems it was just slow that day.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

So you are cutting the top off and welding on the new one? Or just replacing the cab?
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Stuka wrote:So you are cutting the top off and welding on the new one? Or just replacing the cab?
The door ceils, gutters and the leading edge above the windshield are shot. I have two tops that I've saved from other vehicles. I plan to cut the top off at the 4 corners and graft the '76 top in. I'll cut the top tomorrow and start the replacement after I take measurements.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Pulled the top on the Ucly Truck. The trick is to get all your cuts Square in order to duplicate it on the replacement top.

I also used Rubber Chip Guard on the top of the custom dash. The texture isn't very rough but it fills in small imperfections. It look better than I expected. Another important part of the project will be to get the AC working.
Last edited by rocklaurence on Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

How are you going to get at the inner members in the pillars to weld them? Going to post lotsa detailed pics, right?
Sic friatur crustulum

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

SJTD wrote:How are you going to get at the inner members in the pillars to weld them? Going to post lotsa detailed pics, right?
I've cut the inner panels out to give access to the rolled supports. I will also fillet the front down bars so that all my welds aren't in one spot.
I've got it pretty close to fitting correctly today. I little fine tuning and I'll start burning in..

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I was able to shoot the color today on the dash. Looks like Ill have to trim the glove box lid to allow it to clear the gauge.:

Do you think I should color the top with some black to create contrast?

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I wouldn't. On some classics dash glare reflecting on the windshield can be an issue but our windshields are vertical enough I haven't seen it. I'd keep that schnazzy gold color because: 1) it's awesome, 2) it's light and shiny so less sunlight hitting will turn into heat underneath it, and 3) you can color contrast with your gauge cluster and passenger panel! :-bd
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

The small Sun Tac wont fit. So, I had to Kick-n $120 for a matching 2 1/16" Autometer Tac. Grrr

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

The small Sun Tac wont fit. So, I had to Kick-n $120 for a matching 2 1/16" Autometer Tac. Grrr

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

We pulled the floor vent boxes out, removed all the debris and put a patch over the holes. I'll never use those vents. I hope to have the top tac'd in place by the end of the day.

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

This gonna be nice!

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Hope the patches are removable so you can clean it out once in a while.
Sic friatur crustulum

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

SJTD wrote:Hope the patches are removable so you can clean it out once in a while.
I'll be putting a screen over the cowl inlet.
Here are some pictures of what Im doing.
I cut the rust out. Plus, I wanted to weld on multiple layers--not only in one place.

Here is a patch to cover the repair and to allow access to several layers:

A shot of the rear pillar:

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Hey Guys, how do I remove the knob/lock assembly of this glove box door? I need to remove it for paint.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I wanted to add more structure/support after cutting everything. So, I added some 1.25" square tube to the door jam post. This will add a lot of strength