Fuel Guage not working

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Knucklehead

Fuel Guage not working

Post by Knucklehead »

Background..

1984 Grand Wgoneer. 360/727 fuel Guage did not work when my son bought the truck. The po included a new sending unit like this one

When we did the SOA, we dropped the tank. While it was out, we pulled the sender to install the new one, but it was different. The one we pulled out looked like this one.

The strange part is, the first one is the one listed for 84/85 Grand Wagoneer. The second one, which is like the one we removed, is listed for 86-91 Grand Wagoneers. With the new sending unit, the Guage reads Empty, then as the fuel level drops, the needle starts to move toward Full. My son can vouch that the truck runs out of gas when the Guage reads 3/4 tank. Which freakin sending unit do I need? The Guage cluster is the old style with the round gauges.
Last edited by Knucklehead on Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

jaber
Vendor

Re: Fuel Guage not working

Post by jaber »

It sounds like a PO swapped in a later tank. You might have to find a pre '86 tank for the right sender to work. :banghead:

If theres a trick, someone will pipe in. ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

The new sender we put in (the first link above) works and is the correct one according to Bj's but the gauge works backwards and is way off. That would have nothing to do with the tank being out of a newer truck. When we pulled the old sender, you could tell it had been in their for a while (read that as years) due to all the dust/dirt/crud. I am wondering if someone had swapped in an older gauge cluster. I think I remember reading that they changed the polarity on the gauge, but am not positive that's the case.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Knucklehead wrote: I think I remember reading that they changed the polarity on the gauge, but am not positive that's the case.
Yes they did, I thought it was when they changed the dash styles. I could be wrong.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

jaber wrote:
Knucklehead wrote: I think I remember reading that they changed the polarity on the gauge, but am not positive that's the case.
Yes they did, I thought it was when they changed the dash styles. I could be wrong.
That's my recollection too. Maybe the original tank was leaking and was swapped out for a newer one? Older sender should fit the newer tank. Just the wiring in it was reversed.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Have you used a volt meter to test continuity all the way from the sender to the gauge? One connector on the back of the gauge should receive 12V + when you turn the key on. The other connector (on the back of the gauge) should receive ground when you move the sender up and down. You measure this amount of ground the gauge receives from the sender in ohms.

Topic author
Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

Blake wrote:Have you used a volt meter to test continuity all the way from the sender to the gauge? One connector on the back of the gauge should receive 12V + when you turn the key on. The other connector (on the back of the gauge) should receive ground when you move the sender up and down. You measure this amount of ground the gauge receives from the sender in ohms.
I have not as of yet. We do have another gauge cluster we can try, since the cluster has to come out anyway to check continuity, to see if acts the same with a different gauge. At any rate, the sending unit we have now matches the gauge cluster year wise...at least according to the part descriptions on BJ's website anyway.

Topic author
Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

Ok, i think i figured out how the other sending unit got in there. I went to O'Reillys web site and looked for a sending unit for a 1984 Wagoneer and this is the one they list.

Oh...and its $92. :banghead: Time to do some testing this weekend.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

You can check by putting resistors in line with the wire for the sender to ground and reading the gauge to see if it's accurate
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

babywag

Post by babywag »

carnuck wrote:
jaber wrote:
That's my recollection too. Maybe the original tank was leaking and was swapped out for a newer one? Older sender should fit the newer tank. Just the wiring in it was reversed.
They didn't change the polarity of the gauge, they work off resistance not voltage.
The sending unit is just a variable resistor, the wiring is not "reversed".

Newer '86-'91 fuel senders have the opposite resistance values as earlier ones.
Empty = 1 Ohm
1/2 tank = 44 Ohms
Full = 88 Ohms

Older '80-'85 fuel senders are the opposite.

I'd guess the gauge was swapped or they re-lettered it to match the newer sender? Snap a picture of the fuel gauge.

The older sender should read ~10 ohms when full & ~70 ohms when empty, you can check it with a voltmeter on the sending unit wiring connections.
Last edited by babywag on Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

yjsquareguy

Post by yjsquareguy »

Thank you all for the detail. This is great. My son and I just bought a 1989 Grand Wagoneer and have the "Fuel gauge not working" problem. This is very helpful information.
Rob
rob.fischer@matanzasjeepclub.com

2007 JK Rubicon
2005 Grand Cherokee 5.7L
1989 Grand Wagoneer

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

I swapped out my older sending unit for a new one from Amazon (way cheaper than the box store). Well it always ready differently and only when it wanted to. I would have a full tank it would read no more than 3/4 then it went to E and stayed there. So I cleaned up the old one put the sock from the new one on and now my gauge tells me how madly in love with the gas station my waggy is :x .

I would look for an old one and clean it then slap it back in.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

malcoll

Post by malcoll »

OK... so I am working on my sons 1990 GW...... I don't think the fuel tank has EVER been out for a number of reasons... but when I pulled the fuel sending unit it looks like the one listed for the "up to 1985"... the resistor portion is at the top not further down on the assembly like what is shown above for the later style. The gauge worked properly (except needed a new "sock")...but in messing with it I broke it and now need a new one... which one do I order from TGW???

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

malcoll wrote:OK... so I am working on my sons 1990 GW...... I don't think the fuel tank has EVER been out for a number of reasons... but when I pulled the fuel sending unit it looks like the one listed for the "up to 1985"... the resistor portion is at the top not further down on the assembly like what is shown above for the later style. The gauge worked properly (except needed a new "sock")...but in messing with it I broke it and now need a new one... which one do I order from TGW???
The polarity changed on them as I recall. So with a full tank, it will show empty, and vice versa.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

x98boardwell

Post by x98boardwell »

I purchased on from AutoZone for my 1984 GW and it didn't work. I purchased another one from BJ's and it worked fine and looked different. Can't remember by looking at your pic's which one mine looked like but clearly it said it was for an 84 and didn't work... so Autozone was wrong.

j2sax

Post by j2sax »

SO what should the Ohms reading be for the later 86 and up sending unit? THanks!

babywag

Post by babywag »

j2sax wrote:SO what should the Ohms reading be for the later 86 and up sending unit? THanks!

Empty = 1 Ohm
1/2 tank = 44 Ohms
Full = 88 Ohms
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

FSJRomanGladiator

Post by FSJRomanGladiator »

Hey ya'll. new to the family and restoring my 74 J10. Pretty stoked, picked her up in December.

As we all know, restoring can be fun, exciting but expensive and frustrating b/c parts are hard to find. I need everyones help, as everyone prob faced this already.

New tank and hoses are waiting to be installed, but the sending unit wire that connects to the gas gauge, i can not find to purchase.

Any help would be much appreciated.
'15 Grand Cherokee 4X4 - Altitude - Blacked Out
'74 J10 - (restoring) 383 Stroker; TH400 Trans, Dana 44's 4.10 gear, Dana 20 TC. 4" Lift from Skyjacker;

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Are you missing the wire? That wire is part of the complete harness that supplies the entire rear of the truck. Unlikely you can purchase that part. Normally you would repair what you have.

Here is a post that may help you - https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/basi ... d-1340134/
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

letank

Post by letank »

FSJRomanGladiator wrote:Hey ya'll. new to the family and restoring my 74 J10. Pretty stoked, picked her up in December.

As we all know, restoring can be fun, exciting but expensive and frustrating b/c parts are hard to find. I need everyones help, as everyone prob faced this already.

New tank and hoses are waiting to be installed, but the sending unit wire that connects to the gas gauge, i can not find to purchase.

Any help would be much appreciated.
The wire is somewhere around the frame, then test and connect it as mentioned above by Tim. The gas tank is metal, or was metal, and it has to be properly grounded, rust is a poor conductor, sanding of installing an extra wire between gas tank and frame.

On my last project, I found the wire cut off at the harness... added an extra length to a good ground et voila, gas gauge works...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)