Fuel Guage not working

Stock FSJ Tech Area

FSJRomanGladiator

Re: Fuel Guage not working

Post by FSJRomanGladiator »

letank wrote:
FSJRomanGladiator wrote:Hey ya'll. new to the family and restoring my 74 J10. Pretty stoked, picked her up in December.

As we all know, restoring can be fun, exciting but expensive and frustrating b/c parts are hard to find. I need everyones help, as everyone prob faced this already.

New tank and hoses are waiting to be installed, but the sending unit wire that connects to the gas gauge, i can not find to purchase.

Any help would be much appreciated.
The wire is somewhere around the frame, then test and connect it as mentioned above by Tim. The gas tank is metal, or was metal, and it has to be properly grounded, rust is a poor conductor, sanding of installing an extra wire between gas tank and frame.

On my last project, I found the wire cut off at the harness... added an extra length to a good ground et voila, gas gauge works...

Thanks for the reply. @tgreese as well.

The wire is non-existent. After removing the bed and tank, the sending unit was grounded but the sending unit harness that sends back to gauge, is not present. Guessing previous owner did away or didn't care.

Hopefully that helps.

Am I to assume i am somewhat out of luck b/c that is something you can not purchase anymore, as stated above?
'15 Grand Cherokee 4X4 - Altitude - Blacked Out
'74 J10 - (restoring) 383 Stroker; TH400 Trans, Dana 44's 4.10 gear, Dana 20 TC. 4" Lift from Skyjacker;

FSJRomanGladiator

Thanks for the reply. @tgreese as well.

The wire is non-existent. After removing the bed and tank, the sending unit was grounded but the sending unit harness that sends back to gauge, is not present. Guessing previous owner did away or didn't care.

Hopefully that helps.

Am I to assume i am somewhat out of luck b/c that is something you can not purchase anymore, as stated above?
'74 J10 - (restoring) 383 Stroker; TH400 Trans, Dana 44's 4.10 gear, Dana 20 TC. 4" Lift from Skyjacker;

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

It's a pink wire. If you look at the wiring diagram, it's wire number 10, a pink 16 gauge wire. It comes from the gauge in the dash, through the big bulkhead connector on the firewall to a short bundled cable, and into another plug to the rear harness for the truck. It's there, you just need to trace out the wire until you find where it's hdden or been cut off. If it's been cut off, splice on a new wire and connect it to the sender.

Realize that this wire was never available separately. Instead, it was part of a big bundle of wires that connected all the electrical devices for the rear of the truck. The bundle of wires runs along the left frame rail. Strictly a dealer item, not aftermarket.

Look here: http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/77/W-07a.gif - this is sheet A - at the bottom of the drawing is a "frame harness connector" and above that the dash connector. "10 PINK 16" is your wire. You can find this under the hood where it dives down to the frame.

Now look here - http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/77/W-07c.gif - the wire becomes a pink 18 gauge wire to the right of the frame harness conector, goes all the way acoss sheet B and is "10 PINK 18" on this sheet C. The sender is shown at the bottom of the drawing. The wire emerges from the harness that follows along the frame rail at the location of the tank and goes at a right angle to the frame across to the tank. Find it and connect it or repair it.
Last edited by tgreese on Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

FSJRomanGladiator

tgreese wrote:It's a pink wire. If you look at the wiring diagram, it's wire number 10, a pink 16 gauge wire. It comes from the gauge in the dash, through the big bulkhead connector on the firewall to a short bundled cable, and into another plug to the rear harness for the truck. It's there, you just need to trace out the wire until you find where it's hdden or been cut off. If it's been cut off, splice on a new wire and connect it to the sender.

Look here: http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/77/W-07a.gif - this is sheet A - at the bottom of the drawing is a "frame harness connector" and above that the dash connector. "10 PINK 16" is your wire. You can find this under the hood where it dives down to the frame.

Now look here - http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/77/W-07c.gif - the wire becomes a pink 18 gauge wire to the right of the frame harness conector, goes all the way acoss sheet B and is "10 PINK 18" on this sheet C. The sender is shown at the bottom of the drawing. The wire emerges from the harness that follows along the frame rail at the location of the tank and goes at a right angle to the frame across to the tank. Find it and connect it or repair it.

you rock Tim, found the wire. Thanks again!

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Glad I could help!
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

olderbutnowiser

Post by olderbutnowiser »

Just thought I would add what I found on mine. Fuel gauge wasn't working when I purchased the Jeep. Long story short, the float on my sender has sunk. Rubbed through the brass in two places. I'm having trouble soldering the leaks because as the air in the float heats up it bubbles through my solder repair. I'm going to try JB Weld - see if it holds up over time. Or use a float from something else. Or just buy a new unit.
Getting old is easy. Being old - not so much.

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Should be able to buy the float separate, if unable to get the original one to seal up.

Morris 4x4 has a plastic one for $4.24 on sale right now
https://www.morris4x4center.com/catalog ... unit+float

BJ's has a plastic one for $9
https://www.bjsoffroad.com/search.asp?k ... at&search=

I know there are brass ones out there, just need to find them.

Suggestion to clean the sender real good too, before re-install, to make sure it works for a loonngg time :)
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Look at the '60s Ford Mustang sites. They have a brass float of this type available.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/fuel-tank-s ... 73/p/FSUF/
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Thanks for the link.

Saving it to my files :)
tgreese wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:53 am Look at the '60s Ford Mustang sites. They have a brass float of this type available.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/fuel-tank-s ... 73/p/FSUF/
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified