What is this noise?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Lumpskie

What is this noise?

Post by Lumpskie »

Hey guys,

So I started the Wagoneer yesterday and it started making a loud ticking noise. I felt around under the hood and it seems like it's coming from an assembly related to emissions(?) located directly behind the power steering res. Long story short, when the rig warmed up, the noise went away.
Here's a video. Do any of you have any ideas what this it?

1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

will e

Re: What is this noise?

Post by will e »

I would start by removing the belt to the A.I.R. Pump.

You can get a cheap automotive stethoscope for $10 at the local parts store. Yeah, hose works well too but not as good as a stethoscope.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Hey will e:

I can't get the ticking to come back like you hear in the video BUT:
I think you're right. I don't have a stethoscope but I can feel the pump "pulsing" quite a bit. Are these things known to make a tapping/ticking noise when the go bad? (it looks like a rotary/vane pump not a piston style pump... why would a vane pump tick?)

Thanks for the help,
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

They start making noise because there is no lube. It is a straight wear system they will seize when they feel like it.even when you are at speed. They run hot when new and get worse with age. We replace new ones under warranty and others that where 15 years old I had 1 on a 69 rambler and put on an 80 wagoner and it ran till the 80 was junked for body rot. They have a life and mind of their own.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

letank

Re: cheap sthetoscope

Post by letank »

A large or long screwdriver, the handle on you ear, walk the blade around on any metal part, WATCH out for moving parts...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

If the AIR pump is really the culprit, IIRC, you can still get replacement pumps, but you will have to reuse your existing pulley. There are 3 and 4 bolt versions.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

You can also by pass the diverted valve And see if that stops the noise. The valves not working will cause heat build up and kill the pump lucky split as well
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Thanks for the info, you guys. I still can't get it to make any noise. It made a racket that day and has been quiet ever since. From the look of it, I can get a replacement pump from my local O'Reilly Auto Parts, or from TeamGrandWagoneer as well. Is the diverter valve the assembly that sits behind the pump on the drivers side? (the thing you see about 5 seconds in to my video above)

Also, is there any lubrication or maintenance I can do on my current pump, or do I need to just buy a new one when the old one starts making noise?

letank

Post by letank »

hummm, one old post about diverter valve

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=167802

the short version
somebody checked Rock Auto and searched for diverter valve, and looked at all the pictures until I saw one that looked the same as I saw in pictures of Grand Wagoneers. It's part number DV54, $109.

A little more searching and this seems to be a Ford part: Motorcraft CX-921
used on Fords from about '83-96, Rock Auto has a list of the applications if you click on the part number when viewing it.

It is lubricated for life... whatever the duration is...
Michel

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Thanks for the link and information, Letank. I touched the diverter valve back when it was making noise. It seemed to be "pulsing" the worst of everything... maybe it had a temporary clog? Still waiting for the noise to come back....

JoeMan89

Post by JoeMan89 »

The fuel pump will tick too if it's on it's way out.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Hey guys

If the smog pump is dying, would that lead to warm idle problems? The waggy died at a stop light today...

letank

Post by letank »

Lumpskie wrote:Hey guys

If the smog pump is dying, would that lead to warm idle problems? The waggy died at a stop light today...
What is your idle speed? at some point the pump may drag a bit , hence putting a brake on the rotating crankshaft... cut the belt is the quick solution if it starts to smoke.... pruners are handy....
Michel

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Idle speed seems a little low. I drove home (almost 100 miles) filled up the tank and haven't had it die again. But the idle still seems a little low. Just in case, I picked up a smog pump from O'Reilly. I think I'll just swap it out since it's been noisy on and off.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

I just wanted to update this thread with a resolution and to thank you guys. I replaced the smog pump today and the engine sounds good and the idle seems to be back to normal.

Thanks again for the troubleshooting help.

letank

Re: What is this noise? me too, the AIR pump

Post by letank »

Funny, my turn, same thing happened yesterday, started the 74, and what a raucous ratcheting sound... Seemed like the PS pump... removing the AIR pump solved the problem... The engine is so quiet, if it was not for the cooling fan, I'd swear this is the electrical powered FSJ.
Doing a giggle search, it seems that some brands such as Bimmer and Toy are using electrical AIR pump
Michel