Overhead console display?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
mpatch

Overhead console display?

Post by mpatch »

I have an 89 GW whose two back over head lights (reading lights) on the overhead center console come on when the door opens. (Not the front two..normal?) And I can turn on both the two front and back reading lights by pushing them on. But I cant get any reading on the display. Tonight I swapped out the display with a spare given to me by the previous owner-no fix. Any ideas what could cause the display not to work? How to possible fix or test? Thanks.

VOX

Re: Overhead console display?

Post by VOX »

Please explain what display you're referring to.
Keith

1980 Wagoneer
1973 J10
1975 Cherokee Chief

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

VOX wrote:Please explain what display you're referring to.
The last couple of years of production (IIRC 88-91) offered an overhead display that showed temp and direction. ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

jaber wrote:
VOX wrote:Please explain what display you're referring to.
The last couple of years of production (IIRC 88-91) offered an overhead display that showed temp and direction. ;)
There was also a keyless entry module installed in the loaded Grand console with the dark red lens facing forward. Same unit was used extensively on the XJs.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

adzam

Post by adzam »

I had this same issue with my 1990. If you take down the console, you can see where there are 3 or 4 white connectors in the console. One of these larger connectors is for the temp/compass.

The issue here is that the metal contacts in the connector are either aluminum or some other sort of cheap metal. They get corroded and/or bent out of shape and no longer make contact.

I took my connectors apart, cleaned the female end by inserting a small drill bit. The male end you can take the same bit and make sure the make pins are clean. The female end you can also bend a little more so that there is a better connection made.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk 4

Topic author
mpatch

Post by mpatch »

As mentioned above that is the display I am talking about. I took mine apart and cleaned it. But still nothing. I guess if I really want it, I need to start chasing wires. Where to start.

jpngriff

Post by jpngriff »

mpatch wrote:I have an 89 GW whose two back over head lights (reading lights) on the overhead center console come on when the door opens. (Not the front two..normal?)
On my 1991 only the back 2 come on when you open the door. Looks like that part is working correct.
1991 Grand Wagoneer
360 V8, TBI Conversion

acct21

Post by acct21 »

Ditto on my '90. Just the rears come on with door open. Fronts light up with pressing the buttons only.
1990 GW with HD towing package -- everything works! (today, anyway)

brandtjohnd

Post by brandtjohnd »

My 89 has the compass/temp module. It would come on, but it was very very dim and the data (direction/Temp) were not correct. I found a person on ebay that repairs the overhead console module. He charges 55 bucks and gets it working.

Search ebay for "rofflesaurrrr" as the user or "91-96 Jeep Cherokee XJ Overhead Console Computer/PCB Repair Service" as the description.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Ive repaired about 5 of these consoles.

Its not the connectors.. The displays always have blown capacitors. Depending how badly they blew they can take resistors and fry a few of the traces in the circuit board. If youre lucky you can simply unsolder the capacitors and solder new omes and itll work.. If it took the traces it needs further repair.

The capacitors that blow are the brown ones on the circuit board. Its 4am right now so i cant remember the exact rating they are. But regardless if you take yours apart and inspect it youll probly have 1 or 2 or 3 blown caps or caps that are pushing out on top or bottom.

Its simply age and heat. I replaced all the capacitors ( might as well) on boards ive repaired and the crystal ( not the lcd) i mean the square silver crystal thats what its called. Caps can be bought online for like 10 cents each.. I also replaced all the push buttons on the main lcd circuit board for the temp and compass and the 4 buttons for the lights.. Most wagoneer consoles the buttons dont click anymore from age.. And need the buttons replaced.. easy to do as well.

I also installed a new wireless entry unit in my console..I cut the old one out as i dont have the keyfob im the 6th owner and i bet non of you have them either. The nee unit is like 15$ on amazon.. wires into the already existing wiring in the console easy peasy.. and walla you have wireless locks.

Another neat feature i installed is an auto dimming rear view mirror.. The 96-98 grand cherokee rear mirrors will go right in the slot of our mirrors.. And the overhead consoles already have a keyed ignition wire for the console and ground. so all you need to do is sploce the purple wire from the auto dim mirror into the keyed wire in the console and same for ground... and BOOM your wagoneer has a auto dimming mirror.. I cannot live without auto dimming mirrors..

As for the console lights.. when you open the door only the 2 lights above the passenger side come on.. thats normal.. I dunno why crysler did that.. but its just the way they wired the circuitry in the console.. I suggest you order some LED replacements online.. They are pretty cheap online and SUPERR bright.. trust me.. Its just plug and play for the bulbs. its fairly easy to do if your handy with a soldering iron.

If your lights work but the console doesnt.. its not wires.. They all piggy back off eachother when it comes to power.. So the problem is your console blew some capacitors.

Take the console off.. remove the computer.. pop the cover off remove the circuit board and inspect the caps and traces. and resistors..

If non of the lights worked then the problem is wiring. and 99.9% of the time its the wires directly under the drivers seat.. unbolt the seat.. pull the carpet up and the problem is water leaking in the jeep from years and year gets in the connectors and corrodes them and the wires and they eventually fall apart litterally.. but this isnt your problem.

Grr i just realized the guy above me replied to a 5 year old thread.... geezus man
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

91jgw

Post by 91jgw »

Sounds like a good opportunity for someone to do a tutorial with pics.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I could.. but im lazy.. actually i think i did make a thread with pics on what to do awhile ago

brandtjohnd

Post by brandtjohnd »

Yes...Guess i got a bit bored at work over the holidays!

Also, an answer is an answer. Not a huge Wagoneer community so I might as well contribute if it helps someone in the future. The internet is forever!

91jgw

Post by 91jgw »

So I started tearing into mine and have a few issues. A couple of the boards are corroded and the tactile buttons are dead. There was a cellular antenna drilled through the roof which was leaking rain into the console. I’m hoping I can just clean the corrosion and replace the buttons and capacitors. Question is has anybody replaced the buttons if so what are part numbers for them? And candymancan, what keyless system did you use?

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

The button cant be repaired you mean replace them.

Here are the buttons i used when i replace all 6 of them in my console for the lights and the buttons for the compass and stuff. I never bought from these guys directly.. but these are the buttons you want to buy. Take your soldiering iron put it on one pin.. push hard.. then another pin push hard. and keep doing this.. eventually youll get the old buttons out wiggling it like this when soldering.. then put the new one in.. and solder them on.

As for the capacitors i highely recomend you replace them as well.. especoally the brown ones.. those are the ones that go bad and can take the board with it. You can find the brown nicon caps on line.. i forgot the exact voltage they are but its marked on your caps.. just do some google searchs.

Take a few pica of your circuit board i wanna see what youre dealing with

https://www.adafruit.com/product/367?gc ... 6dEALw_wcB

This is the keyless box i used. I took pics of how to wire it in if you want them. Its pretty easy to do.. Comes eith a blue led that flashs when you lock the doors that makes it seem like you have a alarm.. If you look at the reviews i even wrote one.. The white wires go into the open and close wires on your existing wiring in the console. The orange.black all 3 go into a ground wire in your console splice them all together. The yellow and red wires go into a power wire in the console.. and thats it..

https://www.amazon.com/FICBOX-Universal ... ref=plSrch

91jgw

Post by 91jgw »

Thanks for the quick response. I would appreciate any pics of the keyless wiring. My display was lit up just incorrect reading and one of my lights worked. I’ll order everything and hopefully get to it next week. I can’t figure out how to post a pic from my phone it says file is to large.

Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I don't post here often, but............

OK the Wagoneer used the same boards as the Cherokee XJ (87-2001).
There are guys on ebay that will rebuild the circuit board for you. Just look on '''''Jeep Cherokee XJ""
The crappy IR door unlock board can also be replaced with an RF version again found on ebay for the XJ.
Also the map light parts are available from a few suppliers, but look for the XJ version. (Think www.Team Cherokee.com & yes the same guys as team grandwagoneer)
If God is your co-pilot, you need to switch seats!

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

cherokee boards the connectors i believe the pin config is slightly different.

The console itself wont fit its molded different

brandtjohnd

Post by brandtjohnd »

brandtjohnd wrote:My 89 has the compass/temp module. It would come on, but it was very very dim and the data (direction/Temp) were not correct. I found a person on ebay that repairs the overhead console module. He charges 55 bucks and gets it working.

Search ebay for "rofflesaurrrr" as the user or "91-96 Jeep Cherokee XJ Overhead Console Computer/PCB Repair Service" as the description.
I would like to update my previous post. I now have a totally working Compass/Temp Module! IT FEELS SO GOOD

Like i said earlier, i sent my board to Rofflesaurrr on ebay to fix it up. This was in December of 2018. After 6 weeks and a number of emails back and forth it was decided that my board could not be fixed. The display was now working properly but the logic that controls the Compass and Temperature was broken. He sent my board back. I was sad. Very Sad :-?

A week or two later he messaged me stating that he had come into a donor board and he now thought he could scavenge parts to make my board work. So i sent the board back to him.

Its now mid March 2019 and i just received the board back in the mail. FRANKECOMPASS IS ALIVE!!! :D :-bd

I was really impressed with Rofflesaurrr. He spent way more time and dedicated much more energy than he needed to. But in the end Im a very happy customer with a working Comapss/Temp unit. I would recommend his services to anyone who asks. It was a good experience and my Wagoneer is just that much more complete! Thank you.

TLDR: My compass was broken, Sent to guy on ebay...he made it work.

brandtjohnd

Post by brandtjohnd »

brandtjohnd wrote:My 89 has the compass/temp module. It would come on, but it was very very dim and the data (direction/Temp) were not correct. I found a person on ebay that repairs the overhead console module. He charges 55 bucks and gets it working.

I would like to update my previous post. I now have a totally working Compass/Temp Module! IT FEELS SO GOOD

Like i said earlier, i sent my board to Rofflesaurrr on ebay to fix it up. This was in December of 2018. After 6 weeks and a number of emails back and forth it was decided that my board could not be fixed. The display was now working properly but the logic that controls the Compass and Temperature was broken. He sent my board back. I was sad. Very Sad :-?

A week or two later he messaged me stating that he had come into a donor board and he now thought he could scavenge parts to make my board work. So i sent the board back to him.

Its now mid March 2019 and i just received the board back in the mail. FRANKECOMPASS IS ALIVE!!! :D :-bd

I was really impressed with Rofflesaurrr. He spent way more time and dedicated much more energy than he needed to. But in the end Im a very happy customer with a working Comapss/Temp unit. I would recommend his services to anyone who asks. It was a good experience and my Wagoneer is just that much more complete! Thank you.

TLDR: My compass was broken, Sent to guy on ebay...he made it work.