Rear Door Arm Rest Repair

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
81Cherokee Laredo

Rear Door Arm Rest Repair

Post by 81Cherokee Laredo »

I'm updating and moving this over from the mothership. When I first got my 89 Wagoneer the rear door arm rests were shot. This made closing the rear doors from inside a real chore since the later wags, I beleive 89 and up dont have the door pulls anymore. Like most of us on here I searched the parts section and bought a few arm rests from fellow members. Some were good, some were just as bad as mine and some were worse. After I bought one from Florida that looked and smelled like it came out of a swamp, I had had enough and decided I was going to come up with a solution to fix the ones I had.

Root Cause

Here's what broken armrests look like when removed, the holes in back are broken up and the screws go most of the way, if not all the way through.

The above holes have verry little to do with holding you armrests in place, the real problem lies underneath. We need to take apart the arm rest to see the true problem. Remove the 4 screws holding the back piece on and gently pry the back off the armrest. You should end up with something like this

Here is the true problem, you can see in the above pic the plastic cup which holds the head of the fasteners are no longer intact. This is caused by over tourqing the fasteners(I'm guilty of this myself). The right side one is completly gone and the left is not far behind, there is still one post on the left side(see below). These posts contact the back plate and give support to the cup and help distribute the tourqe.
Last edited by 81Cherokee Laredo on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
81 Cherokee Laredo 360/727/219 - SOA/SF Inwk - 4.56 D44/AMC20 35 Cooper's - J20 Steering Box
83 Cherokee W/T - Katy - Long term project
89 Grand Wagoneer 360/727/229 - 31 X 10.50

Topic author
81Cherokee Laredo

Re: Rear Arm Rest Repair

The Fix

The FIX, I determined is to rebuild the cup, I decided that sheet metal would be what was needed for the repair.

Step one. remove the remaining bits of plastic. I cut the remaining post off and removed the remnants of the cup, leaving the vinyl in place. Needs to look like the right side for the repair.

Step two. on to the repair. The best place to do the modification is on the backing panel.

Ithe above pic you can see the posts with the screw recess, they also support the cup oposite the posts removed in step 1 and have been intact on all the armrests I've taken apart. I decided to use these as attachment points for the sheet metal plates I fabricated.

I also used the flat area across from the posts as attachment points. The plates are thin sheet metal(22ga) that I cut, bent, drilled, grinded and cursed at. the rivets are aluminum. The top one is pretty straight forward, the oposite side with the big hole is a bit more challenging to fabricate.
81 Cherokee Laredo 360/727/219 - SOA/SF Inwk - 4.56 D44/AMC20 35 Cooper's - J20 Steering Box

Topic author
81Cherokee Laredo

Re: Rear Arm Rest Repair

Results

Mocking up the backing plate on the door. The armrest needs to be attached before this point and will be held on to the backing plate by the 4 fasteners removed in Root Cause. You can now see how the plates replace the cups and hold the backing plate to the door.

Here's the Armrest all back together.the plates are completly hidden from veiw, giving a stock apperence.

And heres the final resuls. I used a washer on the attaching screws to help pinch the vinyl between the washer and the plates.

If anybody wants to read the original post, it can be found here http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=158918

letank

Re: Rear Door Arm Rest Repair

Post by letank »

thank you for the idea, being a rainy day, it was time to spend a couple of hours.... I used one of those framing brackets, a bit overkill and harder to bend...

step one

step 2 later
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Very nice repair. Thanks for posting!
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I just used a long bolt. Washers and nut to bolt it down.. then the added length screws into the door itself.

That is until i found like 5 wagoneers over the years and took the door pulls that were good lol
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)